Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Gentoo Install and grub error none boot right.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: New Gentoo Install and grub error none boot right. Reply with quote

Hello.

I have installed a new Gentoo after been down and a harddisk crash on a old Sata 160 G harddisk and then using a big !TB harddisk as sda.
The old gentoo there was crashed and burn down used to have working kernel 2.6.38-r5 kernel but after a new install right after the gentoo handbook and run emerge gentoo-sources and emerge genkernel + emerge grub hve I by genkernel got kernel 3.3.8.
But when I have all things done as I normal have following by the handbook and then reboot from livecd to boot up by harddisk is grub hald with
grub >
and nothing mor is done like grub not can read and load and find my /dev/sda3 mount right.
in my grub.conf do I have this:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkerrnel-3.3.8-gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 vga=791 spash=silens
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-3.3.8-gentoo

THe version is a x86 and i686 cpu double processor.

Can any help me on this ?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub halts with the grub> prompt when it can't find the menu.lst menu file. Depending on how you installed it, it could be boot/grub/menu.lst or boot/boot/grub/menu.lst ... Typically a symlink in /boot/boot to ./ tries to cover all the bases...

This confusion happens frequently when you install grub in a place you don't expect; especially when you have a different partition for boot and root (it usually does not happen when boot and root disk are the same.)
Are you using separate partitions (appears so...)?

Are you trying to dual boot (?) - and where are you installing stage 1 to (MBR or partition?)
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eccerr0r"]Grub halts with the grub> prompt when it can't find the menu.lst menu file. Depending on how you installed it, it could be boot/grub/menu.lst or boot/boot/grub/menu.lst ... Typically a symlink in /boot/boot to ./ tries to cover all the bases...

This confusion happens frequently when you install grub in a place you don't expect; especially when you have a different partition for boot and root (it usually does not happen when boot and root disk are the same.)
Are you using separate partitions (appears so...)?

Are you trying to dual boot (?) - and where are you installing stage 1 to (MBR or partition?)[/quote]

For me is no dial boot as I only have linux Gentoo on the computer and the !tb harddisk have only /dev/sda with partition as sda1 sda2 sda3 (boot, swap and root as /)

I have tried to run grub_install --no-floppy /dev/sda and this make error on the still keep run and comes with error and then I manage grub install manual by just run grub /dev/sda and used the 3-4 command for grub functions.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have /boot mounted when you run grub-install?

When you ran grub-install how are you running it? Are you running inside the chroot?

Ideally with a chroot you have your boot partition mounted under your root partition and your grub-install it like that, and you need to make sure your /dev shows up in your chroot...
Gert Andersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eccerr0r"]Did you have /boot mounted when you run grub-install?

When you ran grub-install how are you running it? Are you running inside the chroot?

Ideally with a chroot you have your boot partition mounted under your root partition and your grub-install it like that, and you need to make sure your /dev shows up in your chroot...[/quote]

Yes I should had mount /dev after this aftern the handbook
mount proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

then later on for grub
grub_install --no-floppy /dev/sda
and this was just run and run in several minutes with reply error for fd(0) and hd(0,0)
then i stopped it with crtl+c keys and then just run grub manual install
grub /dev/sda
with 3-4 lines for just one harddisk as sda there ended with quit and got no errors
the /boot/device.map file has 3 lines in it with
(fd0)
(hd0,0)
(hd1)
the last line is for secund harddisk there only is a linux sdb1 harddisk there not is to be used while gentoo is installed as it only is for files of ftp use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: