During Install: nano: error while loading shared libraries:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamsstephene
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: During Install: nano: error while loading shared libraries: Reply with quote

Greetings.

Newbie to Gentoo but have decent exposure to *nix OSes in general. I am attempting to install Gentoo PPC on my old Apple Power Macintosh G4 "Sawtooth" using the minimal install CD, 2012-06-24. Booting the machine successfully with it I get an error message I have been unable to find any info on, either searching here or with Google:

nano: error while loading shared libraries: libmagic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This happens right after booting at the very first #: prompt. At this point this appears to be a problem with the minimal install CD but before I spend the time downloading and burning others I'd just like to know if there's a step missing from the Handbook with regards to PPC installation? Perhaps there's something I can do with this CD... some undocumented command(s) that will make the shared library available when trying to run this editor?

The library file exists. I can list it. I just do not understand why nano cannot see it.

Thanks in advance.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamsstephene,

Here's where the file(s) should be. If you don't have it then emerge sys-apps/file

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 May 21 09:11 /usr/lib32/libmagic.so.1 -> libmagic.so.1.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108308 May 16 06:33 /usr/lib32/libmagic.so.1.0.0*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Feb 22 08:58 /usr/lib64/libmagic.so.1 -> libmagic.so.1.0.0*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 113680 Feb 22 08:58 /usr/lib64/libmagic.so.1.0.0*

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
adamsstephene
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding.

As soon as the minimal livecd booted up and displayed the root command prompt I did an "ls -l /usr/lib32/" and the response was "ls: cannot access /usr/lib32/: No such file or directory". I did the same command for /usr/lib/ and the response was the same for that directory. I then attempted the "emerge sys-apps/file" command as you suggested, and the response was "-bash: emerge: command not found".

Again, this is at the stage in the Handbook where the livecd has finished booting... where one would make network changes, add users, start sshd, etc. This is before any work on the hard drives even begins.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamsstephene,

Evidently there's a problem with the live cd. Did you check the md5sum before burning :?: Did you burn at the lowest speed :?:

If this helps any, you can use any live media to install gentoo, e.g. systemrescuecd, ubuntu, mint etc.

I know absolutely nothing about apples, but I've seen ubuntu ppc cd images so you might want to consider that route.

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamsstephene ...

try running 'ldconfig' ... it should link/cache the libraries listsed in /etc/ld.so.conf ... that doesn't explain why its broken, but it may be enough to fix the issue.

Also, an editor may not be necessary, at least if your configuring your network via dhcp, so you could theoretically continue with the install, format the disks, unpack the stage3 and use the editor provided within the stage if need be.

Oh, and this is a case for ... cat, echo, sed, awk ... and other superheros :)

HTH & best ...

khay
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeting as well. New to the forums, not new to the game.

I have a PowerMac G5 which I am resurrecting, and I have exactly the same problem the OP described. I have checked the md5sum, burned two separate minimal CD's (from releases a couple days apart), and have run ldconfig only to have it tell me it cannot link 3 libraries (usr/lib/*, where *= librtasevent.so.1 -> librtasevent.so.1.3.5, same story for librtas.so.1 and libofdt.so.1).

I have already partitioned the disks and mounted filesystems, and am currently writing portage's make.conf, with one hiccup: I need nano to write the file, and nano gives me the error at the top of this page! Nano is kind of necessary at this step I believe. Are there any programs like nano that I could try running? Can I write the make.conf file on a separate computer, throw it on a usb drive, and copy it in (note here: ssh is not functioning either, that's why usb)?
Or, in the worst case, I read earlier that gentoo can be installed from any linux environment. What the what? Details please.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainRabies wrote:
I have already partitioned the disks and mounted filesystems, and am currently writing portage's make.conf, with one hiccup: I need nano to write the file, and nano gives me the error at the top of this page! Nano is kind of necessary at this step I believe. Are there any programs like nano that I could try running? Can I write the make.conf file on a separate computer, throw it on a usb drive, and copy it in (note here: ssh is not functioning either, that's why usb)?
Or, in the worst case, I read earlier that gentoo can be installed from any linux environment. What the what? Details please.

CaptainRabies ... it does seem as though this CD release has issues, yes, you can use (practically) any boot CD for the install, as long as chroot is provided on the disk, and the network can be established. As for copying the file via usbstick, that too would provide a solution.

best & welcome to gentoo ... khay
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live cd comes with busybox, which offers vi, if you know how to work with that. You may need to start it with `busybox vi` as command.
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Busybox vi worked. Thankyou both for your suggestions, I'm currently chrooted into an rsynced gentoo environment. On to the USE flags!

Also, after I synced, ran ldconfig and checked nano. It works now! :D
lanthruster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the similar problems and more with the last two amd64 live CD's

The latest working liveCD is install-amd64-minimal-20120621.iso

May be it's better to remove the two latest from the web for a while.
dch24
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also downloaded install-amd64-minimal-20121107.iso and had multiple problems.

Edit: I went to freenode.net #gentoo and grknight suggested I download http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20120621/install-amd64-minimal-20120621.iso - "grknight: dch24: broken nano is a known issue. it's been reported many times"

He also pointed me to https://bugs.gentoo.org/443024 "install-amd64-minimal-20121107 /lib/firmware.tar.bz2 is 0 bytes, init.d/firmware fails, /lib/firmware/ is empty"

So now that you've found this thread, you can avoid the broken .iso files :roll: 20120621 works fine.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this nano-related problem with Gentoo LiveCD for AMD64 dated 2012-11-07. It seems the problem has already been reported: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=438500.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: