CUPS - cannot print to parallel port printer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: CUPS - cannot print to parallel port printer Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an HP Laserjet 1100 in which I am trying to print to. In CUPS, I have it configured using the hpijs driver (I've tried others). When I try to print, I get the error, unable to open parallel port; however, the error log indicates there is some problem with ghostscript. So, when I run that command-line, I get this error in the output file:

Code:

Error: /undefined in l7Hl2a8c0E600Ru600Dl0Ll48Dl8El6D0Xl0Sl0Ol1X1A2M218Y33W<C6>
Operand stack:
   --nostringval--
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1877   2   3   %oparray_pop   1876   2   3   %oparray_pop   1860   2   3   %oparray_pop   1755   2   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   %errorexec_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1222/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:80/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 223

Now, when I simply did echo "Test" > /dev/lp0 as root, "Test" was indeed printed on a piece of paper.

I also tried downgrading to cups 1.5.3 as I read in a forum that 1.6 is purposely broken. However, I have the same problem, albeit a slightly different error:

Code:

Unable to open device file: Permission denied

Any ideas?

Walter
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does cupsd actually have write permission to /dev/lp0?
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ant P.,

Thanks for your reply, that was it. Even though /dev/lp0 was rw by the lp group, it was owned by root. I didn't think it could be that simple since the stack trace indicated something about wrong arguments/parameters.

Now, if I reboot and that device node gets recreated, it will probably have the incorrect permissions. That makes me think there is a bug with udev or whatever creates the node.

Edit:
Oh, and surprisingly I now see LPT1 indicating cups can now see the parallel port when I add a new printer ...

Any thoughts?

Walter
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have the same problem with a USB printer. I attached it, attempted to add it, but cups won't see it unless I do a chown lp:lp /dev/bus/usb/004/003 ... Then cups sees it and I can print to it. The original owner was root:lp, but that didn't work.

Walter
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Another oddity: When using CUPS 1.5.3, I get this error when printing to a USB printer:

Code:

PID 26214 (/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 1.
PID 26215 (/usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb) exited with no errors.

I also should note that the kernel I am using does not have USB printer support enabled because I made changes to support CUPS 1.6.1. I will reboot with the old kernel and see if it works with that.

With CUPS 1.6.1, I get a cups-filter issue. Has anyone had much luck with the latest CUPS?

Walter
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walterw wrote:
With CUPS 1.6.1, I get a cups-filter issue. Has anyone had much luck with the latest CUPS?

1.6.1 has an annoying bug for some models of USB printer -- see http://cups.org/str.php?L4155

Fitzcarraldo's blog
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I think that was not a problem for me. I think I screwed up my CUPS installation by removing the lpadmin user. It works fine on my laptop, but on my server, the lpadmin user was removed.

Walter
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: