Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] nVidia K2000m, ACPI Issue / Discrete Graphics mode?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malik222
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] nVidia K2000m, ACPI Issue / Discrete Graphics mode? Reply with quote

Hi,

First my hardware:

Lenovo Thinkpad W530
nVidia k2000m Graphics with Optimus
The Intel Graphics works good with X but I want to use only the nVidia k2000m card (Discrete graphics mode!)
I can't use nouveau driver since my graphic card is way too nouveau I believe (ok this is a bad joke! :)). The drivers are yet to be developed with sufficient support.
I have latest xorg-server unmasked (last resort! but I tested before with the stable ebuilds)

I just downloaded the latest Certified drivers from nVidia Corp. 304.37
I changed the Graphics mode in the BIOS to Discrete (only nVidia Graphics)

I can only boot passed udev events if I start with the kernel parameter pci=noacpi or pci=noirq or nolapic
Otherwise, as soon as the boot process reaches udev, black screen and a freeze but I'd have to confirm what's happening with netconsole or a serial link.

Also I tried with a few live CDs: Mint freezes with a grey screen and Knoppix freezes while booting and Mageia breaks at: PCI [1.97... ] pci 0000:00:01.0: ASPM: Could not configure common clock. Then I drop to its shell (it doesn't have to be related to the general issue).

This is my xorg log:

http://pastebin.com/gPKAW6SY

This is my xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/A2BX8p4a

This is my dmesg buffer:
[ 453.819789] NVRM: failed to copy vbios to system memory.
[ 453.822080] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x30:0xffffffff:859)
[ 453.822086] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

Has anyone worked out a similar problem?

Last edited by Malik222 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Malik222
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: booting with ACPI=noirq Reply with quote

I was able to startx but I had to pass to the kernel:

ACPI=noirq

I don't have any input devices though working...

This is my dmesg here: http://pastebin.com/FjSsxQRK

I can see ACPI method parse exec failed. Perhaps, you can help me sort things out.

I re-emerged udev with debug use.

I also reemerged the xf86-drivers.. evdev,keyboard, synaptics and mouse.

Everything is ok now. So running with ACPI=noirq as the kernel parameter it's fine.
opn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got exactly the same problems as you with my W530 (which has a K1000m though). I can confirm that the system becomes bootable when using "acpi=noirq" but then only 1 of my (virtually) 8 cpu-cores are used / visible (in htop for example). Are you experiencing the same with "noirq" enabled? While watching out for a solution on the net I read something that hyperthreading needs irq enabled and it's the expected behaviour when booting without it.

It's driving me crazy that I'm not able to use an external monitor because of this.
GODLiKE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem too, same hard (W530 with K1000M). I believe the K1000M and K2000M are pretty much the same hardware.

Anyway, the same thing happens to me when switching to discrete GPU. I ended up doing that because there was no way to get Bumblebee/Optimus to work. The Xorg log for Bumblebee's X server was saying that my card was not recognized by the driver (304.43, xorg-1.13).

I would appreciate if anyone could come up with a solution for this. I don't know if this has anything to do with kernel configuration, but I suspect three people completely unrelated to each other building their own kernels would rule that out xD.
GODLiKE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved. More info here: http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2576162#post2576162

Summing up: I enabled these 4 kernel options

Code:

CONFIG_NO_HZ
CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ
CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU
CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU_ENABLED_BY_DEFAULT

... after I booted with the Ubuntu kernel in my laptop U_U (no, I'm not proud of it, but I found the culprit).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: