View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: [Update] Gnome 3.4.2 problems with extensions Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I had a messy Gnome update this weekend and I would like to know if I'm the only one that had a lot of problems.

On my Gentoo testing(only testing without any overlays) box, I updated from Gnome 3.2 to Gnome 3.4.

I lost all my Gnome extension and even inside Gnome Tweak tools, I had a lot of yellow triangles with a ! that said that all my extensions were disabled.

So, to debug my box I checked these 2 packages :

Gnome-shell-extensions and gnome-shell-frippery

http://en.znurt.org/gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extensions/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0-r1
http://en.znurt.org/gnome-extra/gnome-shell-frippery/gnome-shell-frippery-0.3.6

I had on my box these two and I also checked if these extensions were enabled with the eselect gnome-shell-extensions command.

I tried this actually :

# eselect gnome-shell-extensions update
# eselect gnome-shell-extensions enable 1

They were enable but when I tried to enable or disable an extension I had a lot of messages about changing paths or something like that.

I relaunched the Gnome-shell a lot of times without any success.

So, after seeing all that, I rested my Gnome profile with these 3 commands :

# rm -rf /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
$ rm -rf ~/.config/dconf

And I went to https://extensions.gnome.org/ and I reinstalled all my extensions with the webapp.

Now, everything is good, but I would like to know if it's the new way to deal with extensions or there's something wrong with the Gentoo packages ?

For the rest, everything went fine as usual :P

Thanks !!!
tetromino
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unable to reproduce your symptoms.

After upgrading a machine from gnome-3.2 to gnome-3.4, the extensions started working as soon as I updated from gnome-shell-extensions-3.2.2 to 3.4.0-r1 and restarted gnome-shell.

Note that I did not have any 3.2-era extensions in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions. If you had some, they might have caused a conflict of some kind, but to determine exactly what happened, you would need to go to the logs from looking glass (Alt-F2 → lg → Extensions → Show Errors).

Another possibility is that all of the extensions that you tried had a 3.2 version that was installed in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions. Gnome-shell prefers local extensions in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions over those installed systemwide in /usr/share/local/gnome-shell/extensions/, so when you upgraded systemwide extensions to gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0-r1, it would have appeared to have no effect. In that case, a sufficient solution would have been to delete your ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna retry tonight, but I tested this last sunday :

Code:

# rm -rf /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
$ rm -rf ~/.config/dconf
# emerge -av gnome-shell-extensions gnome-shell-frippery

I rebooted my box and I saw that my gnome-shell-extensions submenu inside the gnome-tweak-tool was empty.

Also, can you check if you have some kind of messages or something that output a lot of stuff when you run this :

Code:

Last edited by d2_racing on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
tetromino
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Also, can you check if you have some kind of messages or something that output a lot of stuff when you run this :

Code:

Fixed in eselect-gnome-shell-extensions-20120911. In the future, please report bugs in bugzilla :)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when I try to run this :

Code:

# eselect gnome-shell-extensions list
Available extensions (* means enabled for all users by default):
  [1]   Applications_Menu@rmy.pobox.com *
  [2]   Bottom_Panel@rmy.pobox.com *
  [3]   Move_Clock@rmy.pobox.com
  [4]   Panel_Favorites@rmy.pobox.com
  [5]   Shut_Down_Menu@rmy.pobox.com
  [6]   Static_Workspaces@rmy.pobox.com
  [7]   alternate-tab@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [8]   alternative-status-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [9]   apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [10]  auto-move-windows@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [11]  dock@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [12]  drive-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [13]  gajim@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [14]  native-window-placement@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [15]  places-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [16]  systemMonitor@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [17]  user-theme@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [18]  windowsNavigator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [19]  workspace-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
  [20]  xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com

Code:

Code:

eselect gnome-shell-extensions enable 1
warning: Schema 'org.freedesktop.Geoclue' has path '/apps/geoclue/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Logger' has path '/apps/telepathy-logger/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.Cheese' has path '/apps/cheese/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.Vino' has path '/desktop/gnome/remote-access/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.crypto.cache' has path '/desktop/gnome/crypto/cache/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.crypto.pgp' has path '/desktop/gnome/crypto/pgp/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.seahorse' has path '/apps/seahorse/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.seahorse.manager' has path '/apps/seahorse/listing/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.locale' has path '/system/locale/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy' has path '/system/proxy/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.http' has path '/system/proxy/http/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.https' has path '/system/proxy/https/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.ftp' has path '/system/proxy/ftp/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.gnome.system.proxy.socks' has path '/system/proxy/socks/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.org-yorba-shotwell-publishing-piwigo' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/org-yorba-shotwell-publishing-piwigo/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.org-yorba-shotwell-publishing-yandex-fotki' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/org-yorba-shotwell-publishing-yandex-fotki/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell' has path '/apps/shotwell/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.preferences' has path '/apps/shotwell/preferences/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.ui' has path '/apps/shotwell/preferences/ui/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.slideshow' has path '/apps/shotwell/preferences/slideshow/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.window' has path '/apps/shotwell/preferences/window/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.files' has path '/apps/shotwell/preferences/files/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.crop-settings' has path '/apps/shotwell/crop-settings/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.editing' has path '/apps/shotwell/preferences/editing/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.facebook' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/facebook/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.flickr' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/flickr/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.picasa' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/picasa/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.youtube' has path '/apps/shotwell/sharing/youtube/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.dataimports' has path '/apps/shotwell/dataimports/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.video' has path '/apps/shotwell/video/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.printing' has path '/apps/shotwell/printing/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.plugins' has path '/apps/shotwell/plugins/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.
warning: Schema 'org.yorba.shotwell.plugins.enable-state' has path '/apps/shotwell/plugins/enable-state/'.  Paths starting with '/apps/', '/desktop/' or '/system/' are deprecated.

Also, I ran the lg command and I have this :

Extension is not compatible with the Current Gnome shell and/or GJS version.

Code:

funtootux ~ # qlist -ICv gnome-shell
app-admin/eselect-gnome-shell-extensions-20111211
gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.4.2
gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extensions-3.4.0-r1
gnome-extra/gnome-shell-frippery-0.3.6

Code:

funtootux ~ # qlist -ICv gjs
dev-libs/gjs-1.32.0

Also, now I can at least have some extensions that are working :

https://www.funtoo-quebec.org/index/Config_Sylvain/Bug_1.png
https://www.funtoo-quebec.org/index/Config_Sylvain/Bug_2.png

Any idea how to fix this ?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this :

Code:

/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions $ ls
Applications_Menu@rmy.pobox.com
Bottom_Panel@rmy.pobox.com
Move_Clock@rmy.pobox.com
Panel_Favorites@rmy.pobox.com
Shut_Down_Menu@rmy.pobox.com
Static_Workspaces@rmy.pobox.com
alternate-tab@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
alternative-status-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
apps-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
auto-move-windows@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
dock@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
drive-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
gajim@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
native-window-placement@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
places-menu@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
systemMonitor@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
user-theme@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
windowsNavigator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
workspace-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com
xrandr-indicator@gnome-shell-extensions.gcampax.github.com

Code:

~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions $ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 sylvain sylvain 4096 11 sep 20:56 .
drwx------ 3 sylvain sylvain 4096 11 sep 21:22 ..
tetromino
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was that gnome-shell-frippery-0.3.6 is incompatible with gnome-shell-3.4. I had forgotten to do a version bump for it; thanks for reminding me about it.

gnome-shell-frippery-0.4.1 is now in portage, and should fix the problem for you. In addition, you can update to eselect-gnome-shell-extensions-20120911 to avoid seeing error messages about paths starting with /apps/.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tetromino for the quick fix :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: