VLC does not play mp4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: VLC does not play mp4 Reply with quote

VLC player does not play mp4 files. FLV files work just fine, but I don't know about other formats yet.
The mp4 files also work smoothly with VLC on another Gentoo machine, however I use the amd64 version here.

I used "vlc -vv *mp4" to find out the error, but the only thing that was remarkable was this output:

Code:

[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type btrt (incompletely loaded)                                                                         
[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type gsst (incompletely loaded)                                                                         
[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type gstd (incompletely loaded)                                                                         
[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type gssd (incompletely loaded)                                                                         
[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type gspu (incompletely loaded)                                                                         
[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type gspm (incompletely loaded)                                                                         
[0x2b41128] mp4 stream warning: unknown box type gshh (incompletely loaded)                                 

Also, what I found strange is the fact that VLC uses 99% of CPU and its temperature increases up to its critical value, if I try to start the mp4 file and I cannot stop the whole process even when killing the terminal window and vlc is actually terminated (i.e. there is no vlc listed in "ps -a"). I need to quit the X-server to fully stop it.

Do you have any ideas what could be the problem here?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
matsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that it works when the vlc window is about half the size of my screen, when enlargening the window, the film starts to lag until it crashes.
I have tried this with different resolutions for both screen and films, but the problem is always the same.
I didn't have this problem with Debian, so I don"t think it's the hardware.

Could this be a driver problem or missing libraries?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: