View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: I like Gnome 3, switched from Nouveau to nVidia [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm running a Gentoo AMD64 System, kernel 3.5.3-gentoo

I am on Gnome 3, my shell version is 3.4.2 (Just noticed Gnome 3.4.2 in latest sync so I'm updating this post.)

(That's right, I actually liked the clean, efficient Gnome 3 interface.)

I was using Nouveau for my nVidia card but I got really tired of all the tearing on video so I switched back to the nVidia proprietary drivers (304.43). The proprietary nVidia drivers are definitely installed and running, see link: http://rehost.splurben.com/lf/nvidia-window1.jpg

During the switch Gnome 3 dropped into F@#%ING fallback mode and I cannot for the life of me find a way to restore full Gnome 3.

I have another Gentoo AMD64 system with the exact same video card [GeForce 8500 GT] and it's using Gnome 3 Shell without fallback.

I really like the clean Gnome 3 interface and less dependency on the mouse.

How the heck do I get Gnome3 / GDM to forget about fallback mode? I've tried tons of things, I've reinstalled Gnome, removed all the configuration files I can find or have located on various other posts relating to Gnome 3 and I'm just totally stumped.

After the upgrade to Gnome 3.4, I am now able to manually start Gnome Shell at the command line with the following command:
Code:
gnome-shell --replace
Before the upgrade to Gnome 3.4, starting gnome-shell from the command line only produced errors but the normal log-in with GDM doesn't even seem to try.

So, now the question is, how do I tell GDM to try to execute gnome-shell once it's decided it has to fall back?

Surely there's a line in a GDM or GCONF configuration that just needs to be changed back to default for Gnome Shell. I'll be damned if I can find it.

Last edited by splurben on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure...
You've checked that 3D acceleration is working in other programs, right?
I've ran Gentoo+nvidia for several years and sometimes I still forget to do 'eselect opengl set nvidia' for new installs...
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Gnome 3 back from fallback mode Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Just to make sure...
You've checked that 3D acceleration is working in other programs, right?
I've ran Gentoo+nvidia for several years and sometimes I still forget to do 'eselect opengl set nvidia' for new installs...

Wow, do I feel stupid. Yes, my OpenGL had reverted to XORG-X11.

I know I checked this a while back, but it should have been the first thing I checked when I couldn't get Gnome 3 back up.
Code:
#eselect opengl set nvidia
needed to be set.

I don't do anything in 3D (i.e. Blender or gaming) so I don't think about that aspect of things very often.

By this point I had also completely uninstalled Gnome and wiped every configuration file I could find to do with Gnome.

I'm a little confused about what is being reported by the nvidia-settings because they were reporting that the nVidia driver was fully loaded. I guess that doesn't mean that X11 is passing it to the window manager.

Big CHEERS to EPSILON72,

Kirk
tustylish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like that, I forget 'eselect opengl set nvidia' for new installs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: