View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: BitTorrent study finds most file-sharers are monitored Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19474829

Quote:
Anyone using file-sharing service BitTorrent to download the latest film or music release without paying is likely to be monitored, UK-based researchers suggest.

A Birmingham University study indicates that an illegal file-sharer downloading popular content would be logged by a monitoring firm within three hours.

The team said it was "surprised" by the scale of the monitoring.

Copyright holders could use the data to crack down on illegal downloads.

The three-year research was carried out by a team of computer scientists who developed software that acted like a BitTorrent file-sharing client and logged all the connections made to it.

BitTorrent is a method of obtaining files by downloading from many users at the same time.

The logs revealed that monitoring did not distinguish between hardcore illegal downloaders and those new to it.

"You don't have to be a mass downloader. Someone who downloads a single movie will be logged as well," said Dr Tom Chothia, who led the research.

"If the content was in the top 100 it was monitored within hours," he said. "Someone will notice and it will be recorded."

Less popular content was also monitored although less frequently, the study indicated.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I use btguard. I just wish I had used it sooner.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here in Australia there are no prosecutions to speak of, no cancelling of accounts, no massive fines.

We still go to the movies, buy music and watch TV. (If the product is worth it, otherwise we don't and just download it for free). And if the movie and music companies don't like it they can jolly well root my manure encrusted Wellington boot.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to pay before you know it is worth it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
You have to pay before you know it is worth it.

I'll try before I buy, which is incidentally available for a great deal of consumer goods in the US, but not movies or music. The only exchange available usually is on the basis of faulty media.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't return having seen something. At least not yet.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

Exchange is not return. Return means you no longer have the product and you have the cash paid refunded. Exchange is when you go in with the broken product and get the same product in working order. Apart from obvious damage the only way to determine if there is a fault on a DVD or Blu-ray (for example) is to watch it. If the dolby surround mix has been erroneously swapped with a stereo mix then there is a fault which requires a exchange.

That is how the terms work here, there are probably different ways of saying the same thing in the US, but I am sure the concept is similar if not identical.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. But you don't get the option to return it because you didn't like the content. You either stop buying content from that director/writer/author/actor/singer, or you seek other legal options. Friend, legally made samples from the internet, etc. You are literally buying the "experience," which isn't refundable / returnable, because you can't return you part of the arrangement.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Right. But you don't get the option to return it because you didn't like the content. You either stop buying content from that director/writer/author/actor/singer, or you seek other legal options. Friend, legally made samples from the internet, etc. You are literally buying the "experience," which isn't refundable / returnable, because you can't return you part of the arrangement.

But you can with clothes, electronics, in fact most things. Just not recorded media and games.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

I heard btguard is a joint venture of the RIAA, MPAA, and the Obama Administration.

I heard that, in addition to monitoring everything, they seed corrupt files and made it slow as molasses in January, because those are the most cost-effective ways to reduce piracy.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
pjp wrote:

Exchange is not return. Return means you no longer have the product and you have the cash paid refunded. Exchange is when you go in with the broken product and get the same product in working order.

Huh. I always thought exchange was just exchanging the product for some other product from that store, not necessarily the same. Learn something every day.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:
I always thought exchange was just exchanging the product for some other product from that store, not necessarily the same. Learn something every day.

++

"Exchange" generally means to trade for something of equal value.

In retail, it means to return a product and receive a different one (which might a different instance of the same product, i.e., one that is not defective or one that is a different size) or it might be a different product of the same value.

A "refund" is where you return a product and receive the money you paid, or the same value in merchandise credit.

A "return" would be part of either procedure, and is the most common start point of the "reverse logistics" process.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
pjp wrote:

Exchange is not return. Return means you no longer have the product and you have the cash paid refunded. Exchange is when you go in with the broken product and get the same product in working order.

Huh. I always thought exchange was just exchanging the product for some other product from that store, not necessarily the same. Learn something every day.

Meh ok yes, but my point was not to educate anyone since I am not a teacher but to see if I could arrive on the same page as pjp. I don't think that's possible, because there is a definate gap in what I am trying to say and what pjp appears to hear. No matter, I will put it down to my own illiteracy.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

I heard btguard is a joint venture of the RIAA, MPAA, and the Obama Administration.

I heard that, in addition to monitoring everything, they seed corrupt files and made it slow as molasses in January, because those are the most cost-effective ways to reduce piracy.

I am currently debating joining btguard or a usenet group. I think I might go usenet. any thoughts?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

I am currently debating joining btguard or a usenet group. I think I might go usenet. any thoughts?

I was only joking. I have no useful advice on this.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
dmitchell wrote:

I was only joking. I have no useful advice on this.

I assumed you were joking. My asking for advice was general.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

What's the point of using btguard? I mean you might aswell just download stuff from oneclick-hosters and thelike.
Usenet can be compared to ftp sites or ochs. As long as you're just downloading nobody cares.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usenet is pretty good. It has about 3 years of retention, then errors start to enter the equation. Torrent files go back longer, perhaps, but then one is relying on there being loads of seeds which for old files is normally a negative.

I use usenet for video files mostly and it rocks, the only downside is that pretty much any file over 20 megabytes is going to be a multi part "rar" file. I use PAN a gtk based client, but if you have KDE there's kwooty which unrars and checks the downloads automatically.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Usenet is pretty good. It has about 3 years of retention, then errors start to enter the equation. Torrent files go back longer, perhaps, but then one is relying on there being loads of seeds which for old files is normally a negative.

I use usenet for video files mostly and it rocks, the only downside is that pretty much any file over 20 megabytes is going to be a multi part "rar" file. I use PAN a gtk based client, but if you have KDE there's kwooty which unrars and checks the downloads automatically.

sounds good. do you mind letting us know with whom you subscribe? I guess it isn't important. I am sure they are all the same.

I see one, astraweb. $50 for 1000gigs. maybe i will just go $25 for 180. that will last me a bit.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

sounds good. do you mind letting us know with whom you subscribe? I guess it isn't important. I am sure they are all the same.

I see one, astraweb. $50 for 1000gigs. maybe i will just go $25 for 180. that will last me a bit.

It's giganews, but it's a "value add" included with my ISP fees. I can download as much as I want, but there's an ISP "cap" per month and then they throttle the bandwidth. Such is the internet in Australia :/
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of a text based newsreader that supports ssl?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. is there any newsreader that can grab binaries (i do need that, don't I?) and supports ssl? linux of course.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible with gnus, although that apparently means using emacs. I don't think gnus can grab binaries, though.

You may have specified an unmatched group of requirements here:
- text-based
- ssl
- grab binaries
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems surprising. Pulling binaries doesn't seem like it should be difficult.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: