Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Have the forums been having issues lately?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Have the forums been having issues lately? Reply with quote

Is it just me?

I connect and it seems there's a 2/10 chance the site will not load or it loads with a DB error. It's been like this (for me) for several days now.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about DB errors, but for me, some images (avatars and smilies) often don't load and the forum is significantly slower to load in general for ~3 days now.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. So it isn't just me. It has been slower lately too. The DB error I got was something to do with retrieving the topics list.

Edit: It wasn't a hard mysql oops, it was phpbb saying it couldn't load the topics list or something similar.

Last edited by danomac on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some slowness the past few days also, it seems to be on-and-off though. No errors since I call it off after ~30 seconds wait, try 5/10 mins later and it's all good.
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to happen always at around the same time for short periods, ~05:00 CET for example and during the afternoon again. Not just recently but for a very long time.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had all kinds of slow loads and page timeouts on the forums. Can't say if there's any change but this has been the case for a long time. Today the server flat out gave me connection refused straight away which is a bit unusual (though not a first).
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could not query total topics information
Is what greated me a few minutes ago and also a few times in the last days.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar symptom here - slow or non-existent (i.e. time-out) response from forums.gentoo.org. I get the feeling it might be related to handling the "posts since last visit" and "your posts" logic, since I've had a normal response from the forums home page but hangs progressing further. There again it could be a coincidence.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of the mods care to answer?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not know if this is related but I have recently had issues with packages.gentoo.org and bugs.gentoo.org too.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
Yeah, please. Still got the error from above and images not loading.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
It is not a lack of caring to answer, it is more a lack of having much in the way of a useful answer.

The only time that I am personally aware of during which slow responses, error messages or other such behaviour would be expected would be a daily window which ends about the time this is posted, and that is due to a scheduled job and database filesystem locking. There is some work underway to attempt to mitigate it, but even if it works and gets deployed I would expect there to be a noticeable degradation during that window though it would be at least a shorter window.
avx wrote:
Images not loading is not something I would expect to have recurring problems from a known cause, did that occur around the time you posted that message?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
It is not a lack of caring to answer, it is more a lack of having much in the way of a useful answer.

The only time that I am personally aware of during which slow responses, error messages or other such behaviour would be expected would be a daily window which ends about the time this is posted, and that is due to a scheduled job and database filesystem locking. There is some work underway to attempt to mitigate it, but even if it works and gets deployed I would expect there to be a noticeable degradation during that window though it would be at least a shorter window.
avx wrote:
Images not loading is not something I would expect to have recurring problems from a known cause, did that occur around the time you posted that message?

it was only a figure of speech, no intention to disrespect.
I was just wondering why the forum feels sluggish and there was no post about it from the mods, usually these things are either fixed fast or notified, this time it was neither.

as of now, I'm not experiencing any slowdowns.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory, yes. It also happened right now, four of the smilies on the left of this edit-window haven't loaded and I've been presented with a dialog to download the editpost.php (or some similar name).

Normally I'd look into my privoxy config, but I haven't touched them for months, so that shouldn't be it. Opera (which I'm using) has been updated not so long ago, maybe they've got a new default setting the server doesn't like, concurrent connections f.e. Will try later with Firefox or Chromium. If it's a problem at my part, that would at least explain why I experience this problem constantly and not only in heavy load situations.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to make another posting that I've felt the last couple of weeks, f.g.o has been much slower than usual. So I found this thread and yes this confirms that I'm not seeing things... Is this machine reaching capacity?

I end up trying to pull up the forums and sometimes it wouldn't even respond. Generally response times have been longer than what I've seen in the past... though that's not an issue, it sometimes not coming up at all is concerning...

I recently upgraded to faster internet access but on dodgy DSL lines so I've sometimes been wondering if it's my network or the remote site...
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now six smilies missing, other than before.

Is any of the other posters here using https by default, as I'm doing? That's never been a problem for me, but if more people are now using it, that may explain some stress on the machine(s).
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using https... still seems slow but for the most part, if something draws, they all draw...

As a side/unrelated issue, nontransparent proxies really confuses f.g.o and I get "invalid session" frequently. I end up having to proxy to my home web proxy to post through the round robin proxy... blah.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the forum times out a lot, ranging from slowly to not answering at all while others website are still fast, looks like the forum db reach a too high value.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
I thought as much and was likewise not trying to convey umbrage, but just giving my reasoning behind not having posted earlier. Or, to put it another way, no offence taken and none intended.
DaggyStyle wrote:
I was just wondering why the forum feels sluggish and there was no post about it from the mods, usually these things are either fixed fast or notified, this time it was neither.

If the prime suspect is in fact the culprit, it is largely due to an overly aggressive and ludicrously stupidly behaved bot that is begging for measures more in keeping with its level of hamhandedness. The big concern there comes from prior experience with it, such as when we tried a serving them nothing and they managed to DDoS us by flooding the site for empty pages or error messages as quickly as it could serve them. And it has gotten more boorish over time, for instance it used to obey robots.txt, though only when given its own special version, now it checks it and ignores what it finds.

avx wrote:
desultory, yes. It also happened right now, four of the smilies on the left of this edit-window haven't loaded and I've been presented with a dialog to download the editpost.php (or some similar name).
I will look into it as best I can, and get back to you with any useful findings.
avx wrote:
If it's a problem at my part, that would at least explain why I experience this problem constantly and not only in heavy load situations.
Please keep me/us posted on what you find.

eccerr0r wrote:
I was about to make another posting that I've felt the last couple of weeks, f.g.o has been much slower than usual. So I found this thread and yes this confirms that I'm not seeing things... Is this machine reaching capacity?
If it is, it does not appear to be related to processing or overall RAM on the front end, I have much more limited information about the back end.
eccerr0r wrote:
I recently upgraded to faster internet access but on dodgy DSL lines so I've sometimes been wondering if it's my network or the remote site...
At least for the time being, it is probably us.

avx wrote:
Is any of the other posters here using https by default, as I'm doing? That's never been a problem for me, but if more people are now using it, that may explain some stress on the machine(s).
All moderators use https by default, and at least so far as I know none has had problems with image loading when the site is in any semblance of normal operation.

eccerr0r wrote:
As a side/unrelated issue, nontransparent proxies really confuses f.g.o and I get "invalid session" frequently. I end up having to proxy to my home web proxy to post through the round robin proxy... blah.
Unless the IP associated with your session varies rather wildly, having a proxy between your client and the servers should not pose a problem and your posts are heavily skewed towards IPs that are close enough together that a session bouncing between them should not have any problems because of it. Which probably means I need to verify that bit of code is actually working as it is supposed to.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:
Unless the IP associated with your session varies rather wildly, having a proxy between your client and the servers should not pose a problem and your posts are heavily skewed towards IPs that are close enough together that a session bouncing between them should not have any problems because of it. Which probably means I need to verify that bit of code is actually working as it is supposed to.

Unfortunately I think the proxy I end up using can both change the last 8 bits of the dotted quad...and also the first 24 bits can be one of two unique numbers... The top 24 bits are pretty much completely different depending on what proxy I get...
example: I get (fake IP addresses for example)

I don't really think there's a way to associate the two sets... Crappy proxy, I end up having to use my own...

If I signed in on 42.64.23.45 and later get 162.221.52.X in the same session, this probably would trigger the problem?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
I thought as much and was likewise not trying to convey umbrage, but just giving my reasoning behind not having posted earlier. Or, to put it another way, no offence taken and none intended.
DaggyStyle wrote:

If the prime suspect is in fact the culprit, it is largely due to an overly aggressive and ludicrously stupidly behaved bot that is begging for measures more in keeping with its level of hamhandedness. The big concern there comes from prior experience with it, such as when we tried a serving them nothing and they managed to DDoS us by flooding the site for empty pages or error messages as quickly as it could serve them. And it has gotten more boorish over time, for instance it used to obey robots.txt, though only when given its own special version, now it checks it and ignores what it finds.

very strange, as this is out of my league I cannot help much and I hope you'll find the solution soon.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it happened again, I was able to access the main forum but neither of the sub forums.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been struggling trying to access and post to the forums this morning.

It has taken me a half hour trying to post this post.

Kept getting can't connect errors and the forums logged me out two or three times, then the login screen wasn't able to connect. Doh!!!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the baidu spider. I'm tempted to ban the baidu from spidering my site, it's pretty obnoxious compared to google...

and yeah, I couldn't even access this site this morning... same problem? hope not...
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was really that spider, I'd just ban all Chinese ip addresses. I know you guys likely can't do that. I hated dealing with spiders on my own websites and that's what I wound up doing...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: