View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: When will KDE 4.9 go into stable? Reply with quote

I googled around a bit for finding answers on the subject, but couldn't find a thing. So, maybe this thread could be stickied as I'm sure more people have the same question that don't want to use unstable for their various reasons.

KDE 4.9 was released on 1 August. The announcement can be read here and quite soon already, on 4 September can we expect 4.9.1. Portage so far seems to have a complete set of packages, be it that they are in the unstable tree. So, a few questions:

- What are the showstoppers for putting 4.9 in stable?
- Where can we keep updated on these efforts? (if there is no obvious place to check, this thread might serve as such)
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From past experiences I would say that usually the 4.x.3 releases of kde go stable, certainly not the 4.x.0 releases, so a little patience is advisable here...
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
From past experiences I would say that usually the 4.x.3 releases of kde go stable, certainly not the 4.x.0 releases, so a little patience is advisable here...

Is there any specific reason for that? Is it for example the advise as given by KDE to common users? Or is it a rule Gentoo is keeping based on experience?
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
Voltago wrote:

Is there any specific reason for that? Is it for example the advise as given by KDE to common users? Or is it a rule Gentoo is keeping based on experience?

At least you aren't waiting for GNOME 3 to hit stable :P Gentoo tends to be on the conservative side when marking things as stable so they usually wait for a few bugfix updates to hit before marking it as stable. If you're feeling adventurous, you could always run unstable.

Is there a specific reason that you have in mind for wanting to use 4.9 sooner?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
Voltago wrote:

At least you aren't waiting for GNOME 3 to hit stable :P Gentoo tends to be on the conservative side when marking things as stable so they usually wait for a few bugfix updates to hit before marking it as stable. If you're feeling adventurous, you could always run unstable.

That is of course fair enough. I was just wondering if there was a known buglist of stuff that needs to be fixed before hitting stable or, as Debian does it, wait for a certain period before moving to another branch. By the looks of the replies so far, it seems to be based more on the gut feeling of the involved devs. Is that a correct statement?

Quote:

Not particularly. The reason for this thread was more curiosity and understand Gentoo policy (or gut feeling as it goes).
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the typical policy is 1 month of no bug reports before a package can hit stable.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
IIRC, the typical policy is 1 month of no bug reports before a package can hit stable.

I see. Thank you.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
By the looks of the replies so far, it seems to be based more on the gut feeling of the involved devs. Is that a correct statement?

4.x.0 are feature releases - they introduce new features. New features are known to introduce new bugs/misbehaviour/side effects/... It often takes several weeks/months, until they get found and fixed. Gentoo now can't just backport ANY fix from git to the last release, so they have to wait for an upstream release that is known to be not broken, crashy, whatever, which takes time (the mythical "one month without (Gentoo) bugreports").
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.9.0 being a very smooth release with less new features than improved stability and performance it could well be stable sooner than later.

@Q-collective: the main difference to a binary distro is the possibility of build failures with various dependencies that also need to be ironed out before it can go stable.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
4.9.0 being a very smooth release with less new features than improved stability and performance it could well be stable sooner than later.

It may be, but I am almost certain the first stable 4.9.x we see will be 4.9.1 . It is usually enough work to stabilize so large suite as kde that .1 will appear while the work is still going on.
bandreabis
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kde is unstable since ever. At the beginning of kde4 I was still using 3.5.
No hard problem.

So don't worry, unstable your KDE4.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it does not seem to be any stabilization policy with kde (I mean as one can find for gentoo-sources), the decision to stabilize is discussed in meetings.

You will find the minutes of the last one here : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/meeting-logs/kde-project-meeting-log-20120816.txt

If you want to read about future meetings, then you'll find their urls on this page : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
I have a specific reason. I have problem with kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves sftp. People say it is fixed in kde 4.9. And there even a patch that fixes it: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=169235
I might apply it myself, but I am not familiar with packaging (and I am not a very experienced user).
For now I am using filezilla for accessing sftp server, but I don't really like it.

aCOSwt wrote:
You will find the minutes of the last one here : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/meeting-logs/kde-project-meeting-log-20120816.txt

If you want to read about future meetings, then you'll find their urls on this page : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/
Thank you for urls, that was useful :)
Looks like there was no more meetings since august... or it's just not up to date information.
oquol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE 4.9.3 is being stabilized. :D

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=442394
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: