Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
adobe-flash 11.2.202.228 playing blues?[Solved-Rolling-Eyes]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 102
Location: Brazil :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What patch are you exactly talking about? How do i apply it? Does it works on recent packages?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3209

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahgblopes wrote:
What patch are you exactly talking about? How do i apply it? Does it works on recent packages?
The patch from page 2 of this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7047686.html#7047686

You will need to create your own local overlay and create a libvdpau ebuild there. But doesn't work for me with the newly merged vdpau and flash.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II | Now using kde4 :-/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 102
Location: Brazil :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
ahgblopes wrote:
What patch are you exactly talking about? How do i apply it? Does it works on recent packages?
The patch from page 2 of this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7047686.html#7047686

You will need to create your own local overlay and create a libvdpau ebuild there. But doesn't work for me with the newly merged vdpau and flash.


I guess this patch is outdated, am i right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4956

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahgblopes wrote:
ppurka wrote:
ahgblopes wrote:
What patch are you exactly talking about? How do i apply it? Does it works on recent packages?
The patch from page 2 of this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7047686.html#7047686

You will need to create your own local overlay and create a libvdpau ebuild there. But doesn't work for me with the newly merged vdpau and flash.


I guess this patch is outdated, am i right?


nope, worked here with great with latest flash and live vdpau.

is there even a bug about this?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 102
Location: Brazil :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
ahgblopes wrote:
ppurka wrote:
ahgblopes wrote:
What patch are you exactly talking about? How do i apply it? Does it works on recent packages?
The patch from page 2 of this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7047686.html#7047686

You will need to create your own local overlay and create a libvdpau ebuild there. But doesn't work for me with the newly merged vdpau and flash.


I guess this patch is outdated, am i right?


nope, worked here with great with latest flash and live vdpau.

is there even a bug about this?


thank you ...I applied the patch. No more avatar people...

BUT, i'm runing gentoo on a 1,6Ghz atom(2Gb ram), so i only get a acceptable performance with booth accelerated rendering AND decoding (puting EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg) and flash crashes sometimes with this.

flash really sucks...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 2643
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Yeah. I have done that. Anyway.. 11.1 is working good for me. I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a broken flash.

Security vulnerabilities aren't a compelling reason? And, as I already said earlier in the thread, the only reason 11.1 works is because it has hardware presentation deactivated.

How about if you set enable_flash_uv_swap=0 in /etc/vdpau_wrapper.cfg? And do you by any chance have EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4956

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
ppurka wrote:
Yeah. I have done that. Anyway.. 11.1 is working good for me. I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a broken flash.

Security vulnerabilities aren't a compelling reason? And, as I already said earlier in the thread, the only reason 11.1 works is because it has hardware presentation deactivated.

How about if you set enable_flash_uv_swap=0 in /etc/vdpau_wrapper.cfg? And do you by any chance have EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg?

so what is the alternative? please offer a plugin which supports all aspects and not forces us to install gstreamer.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 2643
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
so what is the alternative?

It's already mentioned in the thread. But to repeat it yet again (maybe this time it'll stick)...

10.3 is still maintained. The version currently in portage is vulnerable, but Adobe provides a newer version that isn't.
If 10.3 doesn't work right for you, use 11.2, disable hardware decoding (comment out EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg) and use the libvdpau patch to fix the blue people. Yeah, with that you're without hardware decoding (duh...), but you at least have hardware presentation.


Last edited by Gusar on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3209

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
ppurka wrote:
Yeah. I have done that. Anyway.. 11.1 is working good for me. I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a broken flash.

Security vulnerabilities aren't a compelling reason? And, as I already said earlier in the thread, the only reason 11.1 works is because it has hardware presentation deactivated.
I see two options:
1. Use new flash which *never* works in my case (blue tints)
2. Use old flash which is insecure, but which works (but I don't visit random sites).

Since I tend to not visit any arbitrary sites, I will clearly pick the option that is suitable for me. It doesn't help that some important sites often use flash.

Quote:
How about if you set enable_flash_uv_swap=0 in /etc/vdpau_wrapper.cfg? And do you by any chance have EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg?
It doesn't seem to help what that variable is set to. I have tried it and it works (with the default settings in /etc/vdpau_wrapper.cfg) when I use my browser as root. But it doesn't work as user. I deleted ~/.adobe and ~/.macromedia to wipe out any user settings, and it still doesn't work.

The file /etc/adobe/mms.cfg does not even have any string containing "EnableLinux" in it.

EDIT: 1. Flash shows correct colors in firefox as user, or in opera/firefox as root
2. Shows blue tint in opera as user.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II | Now using kde4 :-/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4956

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
so what is the alternative?

It's already mentioned in the thread. But to repeat it yet again (maybe this time it'll stick)...

10.3 is still maintained. The version in portage is vulnerable, but Adobe provides a newer version (10.3.183.20) that isn't.
If 10.3 doesn't work right for you, use 11.2, disable hardware decoding (comment out EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg) and use the libvdpau patch to fix the blue people. Yeah, with that you're without hardware decoding (duh...), but you at least have hardware presentation.


so if the version in portage is vulnerable, why is it still there?
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 2643
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
so if the version in portage is vulnerable, why is it still there?

I don't know, I don't maintain the package in portage. Here's the security bulletins:
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-09.html <- fixed in 11.2.202.235 and 10.3.183.19
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-14.html <- fixed in 11.2.202.236 and 10.3.183.20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjv
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Jul 2003
Posts: 353
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those people that are only now trying to apply Stephen Warren's patch, I had to insert the following line above the "epatch" line in the ebuild to get the patch to apply:

Code:
   EPATCH_OPTS="-F 3 -l"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ExecutorElassus
l33t
l33t


Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Posts: 765
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have another question about the current flash player.

If I export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1, the player on Comedy Central's Daily Show page crashes. Is anybody else getting this behavior? This is under chromium.

Cheers,

EE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gorkypl
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 444
Location: Kraków, PL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have built libvdpau from sources and with the attached patch. Still I see blueish people in flash, and I think it started after last upgrade of mesa and ati drivers.
Code:

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.6-r1
media-libs/mesa-8.1_rc1_pre20120724
www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.236

Is there anything more I should do?
_________________
BTW, TWM FTW!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cord
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 204

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe-flash is suck, use vlc instead. (R)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weedy
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 239

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here

https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/changeset/36
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epsilon72
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 566

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weedy wrote:
Here

https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/changeset/36

Thank you very much for this. This solved the blue people problem for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrpdaemon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weedy wrote:
Here

https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/changeset/36


Thanks, this is the best solution out of all the alternatives (no security issues, no crashes due to HW acceleration and of course no blue people)

Maybe this should be pushed to libvdpau portage with something like a "fixflash" USE flag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Posts: 3209

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I noted a month ago, the patch fixes flash on firefox but not on opera.
_________________
emerge --quiet redefined | E17 vids: I, II | Now using kde4 :-/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epsilon72
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 566

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
As I noted a month ago, the patch fixes flash on firefox but not on opera.

Why is that? Does Opera have its own static libvdpau or is it something else?
(the patch works for chromium too)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yczo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my ignorance but, how I can install this? (the program with the patch on the link)


https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/changeset/36

Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epsilon72
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 566

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you'll need to create a local overlay. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Creating_a_Local_Overlay_with_Portage

Now, cd to your local overlay and then run (as root/sudo, obviously):

Code:
# mkdir -p x11-libs/libvdpau/files


Put these two files in the x11-libs/libvdpau/files directory:
https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/export/36/x11-libs/libvdpau/files/track-dynamic-library-handles-and-free.patch
https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/export/36/x11-libs/libvdpau/files/workaround-Adobe-Flash-bugs.patch

Download the ebuild and put it in your x11-libs/libvdpau directory
https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/export/36/x11-libs/libvdpau/libvdpau-0.4.1-r1.ebuild

If I were you, I would rename it to libvdpau-0.4.1-r2 so that portage prefers it over the official one.

Next, cd to the x11-libs/libvdpau directory and run this as root/sudo, assuming that you renamed the file like above:
Code:
# ebuild libvdpau-0.4.1-r2 manifest


Finally, just
Code:
# emerge -av1 libvdpau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hardiy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1, it fixed the crashes for me and at least one other person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
azp
Guru
Guru


Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 354
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
First of all, you'll need to create a local overlay. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Creating_a_Local_Overlay_with_Portage

Now, cd to your local overlay and then run (as root/sudo, obviously):

Code:
# mkdir -p x11-libs/libvdpau/files


Put these two files in the x11-libs/libvdpau/files directory:
https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/export/36/x11-libs/libvdpau/files/track-dynamic-library-handles-and-free.patch
https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/export/36/x11-libs/libvdpau/files/workaround-Adobe-Flash-bugs.patch

Download the ebuild and put it in your x11-libs/libvdpau directory
https://suigintou.weedy.ca/trac/gentoo-overlay/export/36/x11-libs/libvdpau/libvdpau-0.4.1-r1.ebuild

If I were you, I would rename it to libvdpau-0.4.1-r2 so that portage prefers it over the official one.

Next, cd to the x11-libs/libvdpau directory and run this as root/sudo, assuming that you renamed the file like above:
Code:
# ebuild libvdpau-0.4.1-r2 manifest


Finally, just
Code:
# emerge -av1 libvdpau


Why is this patch (and ebuild) still not in portage? It's very old now, and a lot of people seem to bump into the issue.

Bug report and discussion here:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=410435
_________________
Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1167

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't Nvidia update
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-304.43
claiming to have solved vdpau issues?
Did someone try?
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum