View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: xfswitch + xscreensaver + newlogin = [FAIL] Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is a continuation of sorts of this thread which has been idle for some time and gone somewhat beyond the scope of the original post.

Here's the situation:
-lightdm
-xfce
-xfswitch plugin
-xscreensaver

Newer builds of the xfswitch plugin have allowed for lightdm support, so no need to rely on gdm. When emerged with the newlogin USE flag, xscreensaver now has a "NewLogin" button on the unlock screen dialog. From what I've gathered, behavior of the button is controlled by the newLoginCommand directive, which by default is
Code:
/usr/libexec/lightdm/gdmflexiserver -ls

So, scenario one: I've logged into my system, and my girlfriend wants to use it. I click the xfswitch icon, which brings up a happy prompt to switch users. I click yes, she logs in, and everyone is happy.

Scenario two: I'm at work, but my session at home is still active. My girlfriend sits down at the computer. XScreensaver has been running for a while, so she is greeted with the unlock prompt. She clicks the New Login button, and nothing happens. When I unlock the screen after coming home, I am greeted by a number of error dialog boxes referencing gdmfleixserver, and a girlfriend who is miserable from having to type emails and surf the web all day on her iPhone.

So, the million dollar question...

What is the command issued by the xfswitch plugin when the panel button is clicked in order to bring up the user switch dialog box?

From my understanding, adding this command to the newLoginCommand directive in /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver will solve this issue, and, allow for xfswitch customization in XScreensaver in ebuilds down the road.

Thanks for reading...
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you figure any of this out and got some useful modifications that could be applied to xfswitch/xscreensaver/lightdm default settings...
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ssuominen,

I was able to get in touch with Jerome Guelfucci, who wrote the xfswitch plugin. Here is what he suggested:

Quote:
You can still get user switching to work with lightdm and
xscreensaver by adding this line to ~/.Xresources:

*newLoginCommand: lightdm

This works on my account but not my girlfriend's. I'm going to do some more experimentation with it to see if I can find a way to get it working with a single global change.

Cheers!
gr0x0rd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would resurrect this thread...

A new system build (and new verison of lightdm) later, this feature is no longer working. I did notice the new directive in /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver- no doubt the work of ssuominen- with which, in addition to the new lightdm version, makes the edit to the .Xresources file obsolote.

However, when I click the "New Login" button on the xscreensaver dialog now, I get a path error when the system tries to invoke the lightdm command. Since the command (now?) lives in /usr/sbin, and /usr/bin was in the path, I created a symlink to it, but after that got a permissions error (only root can run lightdm).

ssuominen, any hints at how to fix this, or massage my groups/permissions/paths to get it working again?

Thanks!
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this I rebuilt xscreensaver with USE="new-login suid". I'll try without the suid after work today, but I suppose that this could be what you're missing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: