Grub2 = Complicated pain in the rear
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Grub2 = Complicated pain in the rear Reply with quote

I've been trying to get Grub2 to work for over a week and I'm just about to say the hell with it. They made it too damn complicated instead of being simple so anyone could configure and use it. So, I'm hereby masking it.

Anyone else feel the same?
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-927872-highlight-.html
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, a little bit like lilo... you have your configs and with every change you run 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg'

Did you check here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start and http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, major PITA, I spent a few days with the 1.99 a few months ago, never worked as I hoped(Macbook+EFI). Stumbled over rEFInd one day, saw that the kernel can be built as EFI-Image (efi_stub), took me <=5mins to get it working and about 1-2h to setup the look how I like it.

Running for a few months now, never been easier for me - only need dual-boot OSX/Gentoo and that's almost automaticly done.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub2 = Complicated pain in the rear Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
They made it too damn complicated instead of being simple so anyone could configure and use it.

If you run grub2-mkconfig only once to get a decent example and from then on maintain your grub.cfg manually, you can use it like grub-legacy: The main difference is that now you have more possibilities in your grub.cfg (which you can use or omit, as you prefer). Personally, I like the possibilities to have submenus or to set variables and to use them (so that e.g. you can combine initial resolution, kernel parameters, and kernel selection conveniently during booting without having a separate menu entry for every possible combination) and that it has become cleaner e.g. to boot a special menu entry exactly once. I also like the possibility to seek UUIDs so that adding another harddisk or switching two harddisks can work in many situations without modifying grub.cfg
ryao
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grub2 = Complicated pain in the rear Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
I've been trying to get Grub2 to work for over a week and I'm just about to say the hell with it. They made it too damn complicated instead of being simple so anyone could configure and use it. So, I'm hereby masking it.

sys-boot/grub:0 will be maintained indefinitely provided no obscenely difficult to fix bugs like the GCC 4.6 infinite reboot occur again.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i configured grub once, and make install in the kernel source takes care of the links and old kernel and all and i don't ever have to worry about it and still can revert to my old kernel if somethings wrong without having to touch grub.conf
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
mrmylanman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it significantly more complex to configure GRUB in Gentoo a while ago, however I nuked my Gentoo installation by doing something stupid (changing profiles while not entirely knowing what I'm doing, and trying to set up Hardened... anyway it ended up with an installation that wouldn't begin to boot).

Anyhow...

After that, I paid extra careful attention to the GRUB2 instructions in the Gentoo wiki (earlier, I mostly went on prior knowledge from other distros), and everything seemed to work perfectly. I am installing in a UEFI environment.

Essentially, I followed the handbook to get to the point where everything is configured.

Then for bootloader, I exited the chroot, modprobed efivars, chrooted back in, and unmounted/remounted /boot and /boot/efi

After that, I ran grub2-install and grub2-mkconfig (I wasn't sure exactly where GRUB2 pulled the config from... it wasn't the same place as before, so I threw it in a few locations, and it's working from one of them now. I'll have to do process of elimination and figure out which one to remove now, however, it works great in the meantime, so I'm thinking that I'm finally catching up to the state of things these days.

I'd say don't give up, because as always once you get GRUB set up, it's basically good to go, indefinitely.

With EFI becoming very common these days (and it'll soon be all there is in the PC market, I'm sure), it'll be a good thing to know.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Grub2 = Complicated pain in the rear Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:

I followed the grub2 guide and had no issues at all.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Grub2 = Complicated pain in the rear Reply with quote

Suicidal wrote:
I followed the grub2 guide and had no issues at all.

I had issues while doing a fresh install of Gentoo on my non-EFI gear (P2, P3, P4 Xeons, etc). It looks like GRUB2 has Sparc64 support, but I'm a little skeptical right now.
griever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the grub2 quick start guide which is a significantly less complicated set of instructions.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start

I'd start there for the non-EFI stuff. After that was nailed down, I started mucking about in /etc/default/grub to manipulate the config file that's generated with grub2-mkconfig.

It's on my to-do list to figure out what exactly the generated config file is saying...
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sys-boot/grub:0 will be maintained indefinitely provided no obscenely difficult to fix bugs like the GCC 4.6 infinite reboot occur again.

I am really glad to hear this. Many thanks to the developers who are doing this.

I have several different different OS's (mostly Linux) with different root and boot partitions
for each. Moreover each Linux OS has its own choice of different kernels.
When I compile a kernel I use my own script to do exactly what I want, eventually linking
the kernel to a standard name such as "vmlinuz", "vmlinuz-old"
or
"vmlinuz-hardened."

I have found this really easy to set up with grub:0 . Grub2 Always seemed to be fighting what I really wanted to do, when I tried it.

What I like best about grub:0 (as opposed to lilo) is that, using it the way that I do, it never has to be reconfigured or rerun. My next favourite feature is that it has an interactive
mode, which is quite handy in case something goes wrong.

Question: Does Grub2 have a similar interactive mode?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
I have several different different OS's (mostly Linux) with different root and boot partitions
for each. Moreover each Linux OS has its own choice of different kernels.
When I compile a kernel I use my own script to do exactly what I want, eventually linking
the kernel to a standard name such as "vmlinuz", "vmlinuz-old"
or
"vmlinuz-hardened."

I have a rather similar setup. It is as simple to setup with grub2 as it is with grub-legacy. More or less, you only need a slightly different syntax in grub.cfg than in grub.conf if you do not want to use any of the new features. The main difference is that partitions in grub2 are counted as in linux and not as in grub-legacy (i.e. starting from 1, not from 0). However, as mentioned in my post, there are some additional features which you perhaps might want to use (like selecting the partition by uuid); if you run grub2-mkconfig you get a sample grub.cfg which already uses some of the new features.
As also mentioned in my post, I would not recomend to run grub2-mkconfig more than once: It is much easier (especially if you are used to legacy-grub) to write a decent grub.cfg manually, and as for grub-legacy, it is not necessary to regenerate it ever.
Quote:
interactive mode, which is quite handy in case something goes wrong.

grub2 has an analogous interactive mode which actually has become much more convenient (concerning e.g. completion with TAB and help). It has also become more convenient to edit your grub.cfg entry before booting.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a rather similar setup. It is as simple to setup with grub2 as it is with grub-legacy.

Thank you so much for the 'heads up' on this.

It only took me a few minutes to switch to a grub2 that works just like my old grub-legacy
using your suggestion that it was possible and http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
(in particular the part labelled "manual configuration.")

At my convenience, I may experiment with some of the more advanced features of grub2,
when and if I feel that I need them.

Just for the record, I changed the entry
Code:
 title           Gentoo64
root            (hd0,4)
kernel          /vmlinuz-gentoo
initrd         /initramfs7.cpio.gz
boot

from /boot/grub/menu.lst

to the following entry in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Code:
menuentry           'Gentoo64'  {
root=hd0,5
linux          /vmlinuz-gentoo
initrd         /initramfs7.cpio.gz
}

Thanks again for the advice on this.

There is no need to mess around with grub2-mkconfig unless you actually want to use it.

Added in edit:And
Code:

title Windows 7
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

became
Code:
menuentry "Windows 7" {
     insmod part_msdos
     insmod chain
     chainloader (hd0,1)+1
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had masked grub2 a few weeks ago because of the same issues described here (i.e. it seemed orders of magnitude more complicated to configure, with all the different files and commands), and I was fully prepared to join this thread and rant. Seeing the suggestions here for creating a manual config, I may give it another shot. Like others, I tend to keep more than one menu entry for the same kernel image, with different command line arguments, and I didn't see any clear way of doing this. I don't have other operating systems, so the options it provides for that are fairly useless for me.

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with a good manual config, and maybe I will have better luck that way.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with a good manual config, and maybe I will have better luck that way.

Please let us know how it turns out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: