Virtual machine image to partition -video device please HELP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newgentoouser88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Virtual machine image to partition -video device please HELP Reply with quote

I've attempted something rather ambitious on my part... let me explain...

Im attempting to setup a server for a game, the server will run a program called Proxitar, it pulls system messages from the web api and alerts players on Mumble (voip service) via audio that an enemy has entered our clan's city. Still with me? The programmer who wrote the program has made the program open source, HOWEVER apparently the way he set everything up to work was "not trivial" so instead of telling everyone how to install the program on their own linux box, he instead created a virtualbox image of a gentoo system with everything preconfigured.

My problem was that the server im trying to use it on is older, and doesn't run virtualbox very well... took 4 hours to boot. 30mins to load terminal... SO, i got the bright idea of turning the virutal box into a real box - Realization :D - I succesfully did this. However the Xserver does not start. I can log in, but startx does not work, and Xorg - configure tells me that there is no video device to configure and only lists vboxvideo.

My question - Is there anyway to make the system recognize all my devices via terminal?? I did a ifconfig, and its only showing lo so its not recognizing my nic, and im assuming the audio device isn't either...

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.... I have NEVER had to turn to forums for help, but i can't find any information on what im trying to accomplish... somebody please point me in the right direction or give me an ultimatum please :D

If anybody is wondering, the game is Darkfall online, a very cut throat game in which this program would be HIGHLY usefull as players aren't always paying attention to the system messages.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newgentoouser88,

Virualbox works by pretending to guest operating systems that there is real hardware for it to run on.
This 'emulated hardware' or old but as its only used to provide an interece and isn't really there, it doesn't matter to the guest OS.

The kernel you have in your Virtualbox image will be made for this hardware. You must rebuild the kernel for your real hardware.
Likewise, the Xorg video driver needs to be built for the real hardware.

What does
Code:
lspci -k
say about your real hardware?
You can run that from any random linux liveCD.
What does
Code:
uname -a
say about your install on the real hardware?
This gives the kernel build date, version and other useful info.

This is where the problems start ... are you really going to migrate that kernel or are you going to update it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: