Debugger GCC on Gentoo Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Debugger GCC on Gentoo Linux Reply with quote

Is there an available debugger which can be used with C code compiled using GCC on Gentoo? Is there such thing as an IDE in Gentoo Linux (which would include a debugger)?
If yes, what's it called? Where and how do I get it? And how do I use it? (that's all I need to know :D ).
pigiron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought you were trolling, but the bottom part of your post makes me think that your question may be sincere... so...

First "emerge sys-devel/gdb", then "info gdb".

There's only about a bazillion frontends available for gdb, including ddd and that other operating system called emacs. But real men (eventually) learn to use it straight, just like their whiskey. Because both make debugging on a remote system so much easier.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigiron wrote:
At first I thought you were trolling, but the bottom part of your post makes me think that your question may be sincere... so...

There's only about a bazillion frontends available for gdb, including ddd and that other operating system called emacs. But real men (eventually) learn to use it straight, just like their whiskey. Because both make debugging on a remote system so much easier.

Not a troll. I have sent my prof an email to have emerge this gdb. Thanks.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odeSolver wrote:
pigiron wrote:

let me see if I understood you correctly, both you and your professor didn't thought of opening google and write "c debugger for linux"?
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
odeSolver wrote:
pigiron wrote:

let me see if I understood you correctly, both you and your professor didn't thought of opening google and write "c debugger for linux"?

My professor is on vacation. In any event, he has left this part competely up to me. I did search for it, but could not understand most of what I was reading. Terribly sorry to inconvenience you with my beginner questions.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odeSolver wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
odeSolver wrote:
pigiron wrote:

My professor is on vacation. In any event, he has left this part competely up to me. I did search for it, but could not understand most of what I was reading. Terribly sorry to inconvenience you with my beginner questions.

I mean no disrespect but in the linux world, a minimal searching and understanding skill is required.
even without entering the search result and just by looking on the titles any one can deduce the program's name.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigiron wrote:

Can you fill me in on how to setup debugging on a remote system? Or, better yet, what's the best way to to development on a Gentoo cluster (which, I think, does not have a graphical UI installed).

FYI: Not trolling, just beginnering (that's a word, right?).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: