Opengl Cairo Compmgr with the glitz backend
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nankura
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Opengl Cairo Compmgr with the glitz backend Reply with quote

hey guys

now back when i was using archlinux. this package was depricated and no longer compiled. but im wondering if theres any packages out there in gentoo or sabayon that compile and install cairo compositing manager with opengl/glitz backend support for anti tearing
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cairo glitz backend has been obsolete for over a year, and cairo-compmgr has been removed since it was a dead project.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not dead, the git repo still sees some action, the last time three months ago. The latest commit is an interesting one too - vsync support. The glitz stuff was removed though, only the xrender backend remains.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I was playing around with ccm i could never get glitz to work. interesting the project is still running I thought it had died
nankura
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that really sucks, it would be nice if someone picked up the old version and made it compatable, it was the only Compositing manager that offers opengl backend support

Besides KWin and the E17 compositing manager, but there inbuilt to the DE.

and without opengl calling ( and no v-sync doesnt solve it + compiz is a resource eater ) specific nvidia users will suffer screen tearing to an extreme level, its been a known bug for years that is still yet to be fixed with nvidia

:(
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nankura wrote:
well that really sucks, it would be nice if someone picked up the old version and made it compatable, it was the only Compositing manager that offers opengl backend support

Ever heard of compiz?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nankura wrote:
its been a known bug for years that is still yet to be fixed with nvidia

Absolutely nothing to do with nvidia, it's simply that xrender doesn't provide vsync. So all xrender-based compositors will have tearing.
nankura
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiz is a resource eater, no matter what anyone says its riddled with bugs recently, they only recently fixed a large memory leak and it still has full screen issues

im sorry if im been finicky, i just know what ive tried in the past which just hasn't gone well for me, and the only success/bug free experiences ive had was the old cairocompmgr with opengl, the E17 comp manager, and ofcourse KWin

Everything else has been one bug after the other, some making it impossable to use on a daily basis or whilst in full screen programs. having to use the compiz switching icon all the time, compiz-fusion i think its called

So just my opinion, id like to see cairo-compmgr re-enable the support they had which fixed these issue's, whether its calling on vsync or opengl, those 3 Compositing managers, work
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cairo itself that doesn't have glitz anymore, so cairo-compmgr can't add back support. Cairo has new opengl stuff in it I think, but using that in cairo-compmgr would mean a lot of work as it would have to be written from scratch.
poseidon1157
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really unfortunate blow for my environment. I've used fluxbox and cairo-compmgr for quite a while now and only recently were updates upstream pushed which broke previously compiled versions. I'm a fan of minimalist desktops like evilwm, x11 w/ xbindkeys, etc, and there isn't really a replacement for this out there. I personally don't like compiz or any of the other compositing managers because they do hog resources, the configurations are in-depth, and they're heavily reliant on nvidia drivers on my setup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: