amd64 stage3 is 3 weeks out of date
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentium4borg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: amd64 stage3 is 3 weeks out of date Reply with quote

The current amd64 stage3 on the Gentoo mirrors (20120621) is 3 weeks out of date. It's usually updated each Friday, but there have been no new builds since June 21st. The x86 stage3 has been updating every week. Is there a problem with the amd64 build and/or is there someone I should contact?

Thanks!

(I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this question.)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preliminary report from the responsible developer is that the autobuild failed. The cause is under investigation.

However, you should know that a 3-week-old stage should work just fine for an install.

- John
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pentium4borg,

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. However, as John R. Graham mentioned, it is not really a big problem that the stage3 build is out of date. As Gentoo is a rolling release, you should be able to easily update your system after the initial installation with an:

Code:
emerge -avuDN world

or, if you really would like to:

Code:
emerge -e system && emerge -e world

after updating GCC to the latest release.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, comments, or concerns.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
bigbangnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but before I want to reply I don't want to be mean, insulting or such but how can you guys not be brought this kind of info. it's poping up on the download page right there ? A simple memo, note or update anywhere even on the forums would be nice with this kind of issue even if it's something small and unimportant as this. It shows the positiveness and responsibility of the Gentoo team
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to say you're completely wrong, but, well, actually, yes I am. :wink:

The weekly stage autobuilds release cycle has no performance guarantee, nor is there a formal notification or escalation path for users because users are not affected whatsoever by an occasional failure to deliver. Furthermore, the occasional failure to release is already explained on our web pages here:
Quote:
Since these releases are built automatically by Release Engineering servers, there is some chance that a stage or CD may not be produced for a given week. When this happens, just use the latest CD and stage available.
I for one do not want the Gentoo forums cluttered with notifications of totally irrelevant failures, either. The OP raised a concern and got a friendly (if I do say so myself), informative, and timely response. I think that's enough.

- John

Last edited by John R. Graham on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
bigbangnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be better if the release would be twice per month instead so the person or team involved(even if a Release Engineering servers are doing it ???) could work on something else since if theres 1 week missing, the consequences seems to be almost non existent to barely minimum ? I'm just wondering...
pentium4borg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this topic again. The amd64 stage3 still hasn't been updated since I wrote my original post, and the x86 stage3 has also stopped getting updated.

The stage 3's are dated:
amd64: 20120621
x86: 20120710

I realize these work fine, but I have a scenario where I am periodically creating a Gentoo chroot based on the latest stage3, installing updates, and installing some customizations on top. Having a recent stage greatly speeds this up.

Have the stage 3's stopped updated due to build failures or are the releases intended to be less frequent? If there are build failures, is there someone I can contact to get these fixed? Even the x86 stage is over 6 weeks old.

Thanks!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ping jmbsvicetto who is on the Release Engineering team either with a PM on the forums or on IRC at #gentoo-forums. When I asked him about it in response to your original query, he was looking into it.

- John
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, is there any update on this?

Almost three months have passed since the last stage3 published for amd64. Anyone knows something?

I'm worried because there are many changes in portage and in many packages, which could lead to some incompatibilities or blockages in the future. In fact, i'm installing on a stage3 (that published on June 22) some tools like gentoolkit and portage-utils and the coreutils update is not able to install. It is not related to this topic, and I will work around this by myself, but the scenario is worrying in a near future.

Thanks in advance.

Adopt an unanswered post.
pentium4borg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bug for this at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=432758. The x86 stage was updated to 20120911, but amd64 is still 3 months out of date. I also need an updated amd64 stage, hopefully it's fixed soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: