can't emerge vlc with libav? [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: can't emerge vlc with libav? [Solved] Reply with quote

I emerged media-video/libav and virtual/ffmpeg thinking that this would cause any package requiring "ffmpeg" to accept my installation and compile against my installed libav. But when I tried to emerge media-video/vlc I got a block as follows:
Code:

# emerge -av media-video/vlc

These are the packages that would be merg

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libdvbpsi-0.2.2  USE="-doc
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libdca-0.0.5-r2  USE="-debug -oss -static-libs" 388 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/faad2-2.7-r2  USE="-digitalradio -static-libs" 1,111 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/a52dec-0.7.4-r6  USE="-djbfft -oss -static-libs" 236 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libmpeg2-0.5.1-r1  USE="X sdl -static-libs" 513 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libmad-0.15.1b-r7  USE="-debug -static-libs" 491 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-lang/lua-5.1.5  USE="deprecated readline -emacs -static" 217 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libdvdcss-1.2.12  USE="-doc -static-libs" 324 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-themes/sound-theme-freedesktop-0.7  404 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libdvdread-4.2.0  USE="css" 96 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3  USE="X aac alsa bzip2 encode hardcoded-tables mmx mp3 pulseaudio sdl threads truetype vorbis x264 xvid zlib -3dnow -3dnowext -aacplus (-altivec) -amr -avx -bindist -cdio (-celt) -cpudetection -debug -dirac -doc -faac -frei0r -gnutls -gsm -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -libass -libv4l -mmxext -modplug (-neon) -network -openal -openssl -oss -pic -rtmp -schroedinger -speex -ssse3 -static-libs -test -theora -v4l -vaapi -vdpau (-vis) -vpx" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffeval graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart trasher" 5,719 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libcanberra-0.29  USE="alsa gtk gtk3 pulseaudio sound udev -gnome -gstreamer -oss -tdb" 309 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libdvdnav-4.2.0  109 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libnotify-0.7.5  USE="introspection (symlink) -doc -test" 271 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.7.4  271 kB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/notification-daemon-0  USE="-gnome" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-video/vlc-2.0.2  USE="X a52 aac alsa avcodec avformat cdda dbus dts dvbpsi dvd encode ffmpeg flac gcrypt jack libnotify libsamplerate lua mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses ogg opengl png postproc pulseaudio qt4 sdl sqlite sse svg swscale theora truetype udev vaapi vorbis x264 xcb xml xv -aalib (-altivec) -atmo (-audioqueue) -avahi -bidi -bluray -cddb -dc1394 -debug -dirac (-direct2d) -directfb (-directx) (-dshow) -dvb (-dxva2) -egl -fbosd -fluidsynth -fontconfig -gme -gnome -gnutls -growl -httpd -ieee1394 (-ios-vout) -kate -kde -libass -libcaca -libproxy -libtar -libtiger -linsys -lirc -live (-macosx) (-macosx-audio) (-macosx-dialog-provider) (-macosx-eyetv) (-macosx-qtkit) (-macosx-quartztext) (-macosx-vout) -matroska (-media-library) -modplug -mtp -musepack (-neon) -omxil -optimisememory -oss -portaudio -projectm -pvr -rtsp -run-as-root -samba -schroedinger -sdl-image -shine -shout -sid -skins -speex -switcher -taglib -twolame -upnp -v4l -vcdx -vlm (-waveout) (-win32codecs) (-wingdi) -wma-fixed -xosd -zvbi" 17,605 kB
[blocks B      ] media-video/ffmpeg ("media-video/ffmpeg" is blocking media-video/libav-0.8.3)

Total: 17 packages (17 new), Size of downloads: 28,380 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    media-video/ffmpeg required by (media-video/vlc-2.0.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=media-video/ffmpeg-0.10.3[X,encode,mp3,sdl,threads,truetype,x264] required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.3::gentoo, installed)

(media-video/libav-0.8.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=media-video/libav-0.8.2-r2[X,encode,mp3,sdl,threads,truetype,x264] required by (virtual/ffmpeg-0.10.3::gentoo, installed)

Does vlc actually require media-video/ffmpeg specifically?? Or am I just too newbie to understand how to use virtual packages and how to resolve blocks? Why is vlc trying to pull in media-video/ffmpeg? I do feel confused here. I did try setting the USE flags for libav and for virtual/ffmpeg identically in package.use but that didn't help. Of course vlc does run fine with libav, that's what I use on my Archlinux system where the line
Code:

provides=(ffmpeg)

in the pkgbuild script for libav is all that is needed to make everything work. I can see that the Gentoo approach is more flexible but I'm not understanding how to cope with it. The handbook section on resolving blocks didn't help me; I'd appreciate some guidance.

Last edited by sitquietly on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libav APIs are now incompatible with ffmpeg. Install the real thing.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

I started this gentoo install to reproduce a system that I've already built in Archlinux (heavily customized, built from source) and learn from Gentoo in the process. I've put a bit of work into creating several "stable" Archlinux releases, the latest with a 3.3 liquorix kernel, kde 4.8.3 complete but without kdepim/akonadi/soprano/redland/mysql, --- and with vlc-2.0.2 built on top of libav-0.8.3. I'm happy with it; everything is working perfectly, but on any given day Arch can not recompile itself without a lot of patches to older packages and I had to develop my own scripts for daily merging my local changes into the latest Arch build scripts.

One really nice thing about Gentoo is the overlay facility; it looks like it's already time for me to learn how to setup a local overlay and create a vlc ebuild that uses libav. I can't imagine that there is anything strange about gentoo that precludes that but if I discover any problems with vlc on libav I'll post back here.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

not sure what you mean by "real deal" but I'm pretty sure I have libav and vlc-2.0.2 installed without any problems, I need to check when I get home later on.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLC works perfectly fine with libav, no need for installing media-video/ffmpeg.

The problem here is that the portage output is not pointing you in the right direction. You need to make sure that both virtual/ffmpeg and libav have the necessary useflags enabled that vlc wants.

Does it help if you use emerge -avuN media-video/vlc instead?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run into similar issues with packages still requiring ffmpeg instead of the virtual. In some cases libav will work fine, but some packages are needing to link to ffmpeg directly. From what I understand is that libav and ffmpeg are moving away from each other concerning api's.

In this case, it might be that the vlc maintainer has not tested vlc with libav, or not enough to be able to change the dep to the virtual.

You might want to look into making a package.provided entry for ffmpeg, to see if that will get around the libav blocker, an alternative would be to copy the ebuild to your local overlay and edit it to dep on the virtual instead.

And by all means provide feedback to as to whether it works correctly in a bugzilla bug to change (or not) vlc's ffmpeg dep.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: can't emerge vlc with libav? Reply with quote

sitquietly wrote:
.....Does vlc actually require media-video/ffmpeg specifically??

I can answer my own question now. Looking at the ebuild more closely I realized that vlc depends on the virtual/ffmpeg EXCEPT for the line
Code:

postproc? ( || ( media-video/ffmpeg media-libs/libpostproc ) )

The postproc flag's default value on my system is on. I left it on and successfully emerged vlc using libav after first emerging media-libs/libpostproc.

Summary:

I put these lines in /etc/portage/package.use:
Code:

media-video/libav    -3dnow -3dnowext avx jack speex threads theora vaapi vpx
virtual/ffmpeg       -3dnow -3dnowext avx jack speex threads theora vaapi vpx
media-video/vlc    jack libsamplerate matroska speex theora vaapi

Then
Code:

emerge media-video/libav
emerge virtual/ffmpeg
emerge media-libs/libpostproc
emerge vlc
Bluey_the_dog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note,

I'm in the process of building a new machine and have had this problem pop up. As of the time of this post, the method proposed by sitquietly still works.

Andrew
shimbob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bug just bit me when trying to upgrade to VLC2.1. Sitquietly's solution didn't work and after some digging around, I found this post where TomWij mentions that vdpau is incompatible with libav. Removing vdpau from the USE flags removed the block and vlc emerges fine.
jean-michel.smith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

Somebody really needs to fix this line in the ebuild. I just spent an hour wrestling with this before stumbling across this post, with libav and virtual/ffmpeg installed correctly, and couldn't for the life of me get KDE to install thanks to this bug. Thank you for the tip! Emerge libpostproc clears up the issue, and vlc etc. finally build just fine against libav. Why doesn't the ebuild simply reference virtual/ffmpeg here instead?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank You! Reply with quote

jean-michel.smith wrote:
Why doesn't the ebuild simply reference virtual/ffmpeg here instead?

Why not change it to virtual/mysql, for that matter? It's just as likely to work, who needs compatible APIs anyway?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: