Sometimes, it's the litle things that make it special
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Sometimes, it's the litle things that make it special Reply with quote

Sometimes, you see something go by and you go "wow, that's a freaking nice idea".

I haven't "followed" gentoo in a while, in that I haven't been on the forum or reading anything about it, outside of actually running my server on the thing. Not long ago, I saw the news about the config protect change so that what I've basically been doing forever (auto-mergin config files I never modified) becomes the default and I won't have to do the 2 keypress extra to get it done. It also cut down on the manual checking of what files I did or not modify first. Sweet!

But wait a minute ... for me, this as an additional security benifit of sort. If I see a config file I didn't modify pop-up, makes it a rather potent red flag something's wrong. Not as good as a trip wire, but still another little benefit.

And people ask me why I stick with this distro for my stuff.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... I was waiting for something like this to happen. There are a ton of config files that the defaults are fine and when a new one comes in, the hope is that the new one is also fine.

I'm just a bit worried about new config files that change default behavior... Unsure what to do about this case as it probably reverts back to the original behavior as best...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: