udev-18* unmasking and sparc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: udev-18* unmasking and sparc? Reply with quote

What is the path forward for Gentoo sparc users with the upcoming udev-18* unmasking? I have a sparc running fine under udev164-r2 without an initramfs, but with separate /var and /usr. It's not clear to me if silo supports initramfs. Is the right path to follow something like the initrd described by Brant Williams? Is genkernel's ability to make initramfs going to work for sparc as it does in other arches or is dracut the way here? Alternatively, is grub2 instead of silo the way to go? (I tried building grub2 and all the dependencies build, but not grub-2.00_beta3-r2 itself.) I am hoping the solution isn't "re-adjust your file system to put everything under /" or to have to manually create an initramfs, e.g., via something like NeddySeagoon's Rough Guide or manual system configuration suggested elsewhere, not that they are bad in and of themselves, just that I'm looking for the least possible fuss. Just wondering which way to focus my energies.

Thanks
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silo definitely allows you to use kernels with an initramfs ... for instance sparc32 kernels are too large these days to compile without modules. Anyhow all SILO is doing is passing the location of the initramfs in ram to the kernel which actually does the loading itself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: