New setup : Forecast
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apinsard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: New setup : Forecast Reply with quote

Hi, I left Gentoo about 2 months ago and got back to debian since I had troubles to deal with Kernel configuration.

Within 2 weeks, I'm gonna be on holiday and then have time to spend on setting up a new system.

I read a piece of papy's seeds website as so much people told me to, but there's still something I don't catch.

Anyway I'll get back on it later. Here is the partition scheme I planned :

Code:

* /dev/sda               320 GB
  * /dev/sda1            512 MB ext2 /boot
  * /dev/sda2            5.5 GB swap
  * /dev/sda3             14 GB unallocated
  * /dev/vg0             300 GB lvm
    * /dev/vg0/ubuntu     10 GB ext4
    * /dev/vg0/gentoo     10 GB ext4 /
    * /dev/vg0/documents  50 GB ext4 /home
    * /dev/vg0/backups    50 GB ext4 /var/backup

I choosed Gentoo because my purpose is to get a system that eventually fits the best to my needs and that I can easily customize, understanding what I am doing.

Alternatively, I choosed Ubuntu 12.04 to have a second system on hand if needed. In case of failure to boot Gentoo for instance or if I need a recent software quickly...

I decided to have a shared /boot partition on a physical partition in case of failure to load LVM.

The 14 unallocated GB are here just "in case of".

I don't know if this could be a good idea to have the same home directory for each system. Because my configurations are supposed to be the same but this might also trigger conflicts if I have different versions of the same piece of software.

I planned to backup regularly the whole /etc and /home folders (except Music and Videos). I think this is usefull and sufficient.

I'd like to have your opinion on this planing.

And finally, I didn't catch the purpose of the kernel seeds. Am I supposed to download a config and edit only some of the numerous settings ? (http://kernel-seeds.org/working.html but on the "Learning by example", there is no "seed" to download). Or am I supposed to configure each setting thanks to this doc : http://kernel-seeds.org/settings/2.6.31/settings-01.html ?

Thanks.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And finally, I didn't catch the purpose of the kernel seeds. Am I supposed to download a config and edit only some of the numerous settings ?

You will download a .config and put it into /usr/src/linux Pappy has done an initial configuration that will work on most machines. You still want to double check it with make menuconfig and follow the doc't to install your new kernel and modules. Make sure to check the specifics with the tool from debian and also lspci. To search for drivers while in make menuconfig you can search, just enter / and enter the text for the driver you need to find.

Quote:

(http://kernel-seeds.org/working.html but on the "Learning by example", there is no "seed" to download). Or am I supposed to configure each setting thanks to this doc : http://kernel-seeds.org/settings/2.6.31/settings-01.html ?

Basically yes, the best way is to just try it yourself and ask questions on irc #gentoo when you need help.
apinsard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, so to sum up, the best would be to start with papy's basic config to get a working environment in a few hours. And then follow the doc step by step til the end.

That case, I'd better installing a 2.6 kernel than a 3.2, since the 2.6 documentation is full.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction. Pappy's Kernel Seeds have all the right settings for a basic working Gentoo system minus the hardware settings for your particular hardware. His site has a good set of instructions on how to go about adding all of the hardware specific settings and then has some hints on what to do if you're making a desktop machine vs. a server. All in all, a very good and helpful site.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: