IDEA: Ubuntu Software Centre support in ebuilds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skybon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: IDEA: Ubuntu Software Centre support in ebuilds Reply with quote

Many of us are present or former Ubuntu users. Considering the fact that it is the most popular Linux-based OS, it would be logical to adapt and provide those who bought something in USC with a way to install it on gentoo.

HOW USC WORKS

dpkg and APT front-end use binary repos from which .deb archives are downloaded, extracted and installed.
Now, USC purchased apps are stored in private repositories. Ubuntu One username and hashed password are required for access. All three are stored in /etc/apt/auth.conf. For example:

Quote:
machine private-ppa.launchpad.net/commercial-ppa-uploaders/bastion/ubuntu
login username
password hashed_pass

HOW TO GET THE .DEB

So, the idea is to write info like launchpad ppa folder, login and password into make.conf, then download .deb via
Quote:
wget https://username@hashed_pass/private-ppa.launchpad.net/commercial-ppa-uploaders/bastion/ubuntu/pool/main/b/bastion/bastion_1.0-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb

Unpack it and install.

What do you think?
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

First, don't count me as a former Ubuntu user : it never worked for me ;)

Second, I don't think this would be a good idea to have parallel package management systems. You will need to have cross information, and have many headaches managing relationship conflicts.
The best solution is to ask to include the packages you need into Portage (or in other overlays).
skybon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XavierMiller wrote:
Hello,

First, don't count me as a former Ubuntu user : it never worked for me ;)

Second, I don't think this would be a good idea to have parallel package management systems. You will need to have cross information, and have many headaches managing relationship conflicts.
The best solution is to ask to include the packages you need into Portage (or in other overlays).

The idea is not to use APT but download .deb and extract program data like from any other archive format. All dependencies and other meta-info should be stored in ebuilds of course. ;)
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This functionnality already exists in Portage. When a .deb is the only alternative, it is done as you said.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better thing to do is to get developers to support desura instead. A digital distribution system that is independent of a particular flavor of Linux is the way to go.
skybon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
The better thing to do is to get developers to support desura instead. A digital distribution system that is independent of a particular flavor of Linux is the way to go.

Wrong. Desura games are dependent on Desura platform. USC games if unpacked and installed properly run on their own.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do Desura games. Go into the common folder and you will find the same thing you get with a binary package release. The difference is that games purchased on Desura go to support a distribution system that focuses on providing a good platform for indie developers while supporting Linux and, in the future, OS X as opposed to a particular flavor of Linux. I don't personally care for Ubuntu and I would rather support a vendor neutral platform for distributing games.
skybon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
So do Desura games. Go into the common folder and you will find the same thing you get with a binary package release. The difference is that games purchased on Desura go to support a distribution system that focuses on providing a good platform for indie developers while supporting Linux and, in the future, OS X as opposed to a particular flavor of Linux. I don't personally care for Ubuntu and I would rather support a vendor neutral platform for distributing games.

Actually, user convenience is of essence.

MY IDEA: MAKE INSTALLATION FULLY AUTOMATED BY USING LOGIN DATA, DOWNLOADING AND EXTRACTING .DEBs
We can't do that with Desura
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User convenience is of essence to Gentoo users?

I don't think it is prudent for Gentoo to support The Ubuntu Store as opposed to Desura or the upcoming Linux version of Steam. Of course there is nothing stopping you from making an ebuild and hosting it in an overlay or submitting it for inclusion in portage.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Installing" .debs cleanly is pretty easy in paludis provided they don't have autorun scripts in them:
Code:
deb2targz some_random_package.deb
mkdir install
(cd install && tar -xvf ../some_random_package.tar.gz)
cave import --location install/ cat/pkg x.y.z
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: