View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already done so. cd to your boincstuff directory use the generate_tarball script to create 7.0.28. copy it to your $distfile directory. cd to your local overlay and create a new ebuild. It's perfectly ok to just rename the existing 7.0.27 to 7.0.28 just remember to create a new manifest.
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already done it but thanks for advice. I hope that other will be also successful.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incorporated a patch for the missing menu bug the patch is here save it to the /files subdir and the modified ebuild is here
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, boinc seems to require a downgrade to wxGTK, which causes other ebuilds to complain:

Code:
$ emerge -pv boinc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     UD ] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.11.0 [2.8.12.1] USE="X gstreamer opengl tiff -debug -doc -gnome -odbc -pch -sdl (-aqua%)" 29,888 kB
[ebuild  N     ] sci-misc/boinc-7.0.28::x-portage  USE="X -cuda" 0 kB

Total: 3 packages (1 downgrade, 1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 29,888 kB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-libs/wxGTK:2.8

(x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.12.1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.12[X] required by (net-p2p/amule-2.3.1::gentoo, installed)

(x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.11.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    <=x11-libs/wxGTK-2.8.11.0[X,opengl] required by (sci-misc/boinc-7.0.28::x-portage, ebuild scheduled for merge)

EDIT: removed a problem with curl, because it was based on the liboauth ebuild being stupid and automatically assuming I wanted nss (conflicting with curl's requirement of only one ssl, and my choice of said ssl being openssl).

Any advice on getting around these?

Thanks,

EE
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duh…

should have read a little further into the thread. Thanks for -r2 Dog!

The GUI responds a little oddly to widget commands (like, it de-iconifies when I try to minimize it), but I can get around those things.

Cheers,

EE
PS: one last thing: is there any way we might get a layman overlay for this? Or maybe submit the ebuild and patches to the main tree?
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have these de-iconifies problem with last several versions 6.x and 7.0.x Problem is that boincmgr didn't exit and stay hanged between processes and I must kill it.
I have little workaround if I minimaze boincmgr and than right-click to boinc icon in try and choose open boinc manager and than I can close manager and icon stays in tray area.

Last edited by Woofie on Sun May 20, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue to wxTK I had have - it seems, that revdep-rebuild doesn't rebuilt boinc after an upgrade of wxGTK.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
PS: one last thing: is there any way we might get a layman overlay for this? Or maybe submit the ebuild and patches to the main tree?

There's a version bump already on bugzilla - I filed it - complete with patches for 7.0.25 - which is the version Berkeley have nominated as stable. 7.0.28 is a bugfixed version of 7.0.25 but Berkeley still haven't named this as stable - they may still be working on other bugs - or just waiting to see if any showstoppers pop up. Not sure what the protocol is for asking for a version bump for a "beta". But you may as well add a comment, vote or get cc'd on the version bump to show the sci team that there are users who need boinc to be maintained.

EDIT: Just "backported" the menufix & updated curl USE flags to the proposed 7.0.25 ebuild.

Last edited by Trog Dog on Sun May 20, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woofie wrote:
Hi, I have these de-iconifies problem with last several versions 6.x and 7.0.x Problem is that boincmgr didn't exit and stay hanged between processes and I must kill it.
I have little workaround if I minimaze boincmgr and than right-click to boinc icon in try and choose open boinc manager and than I can close manager and icon stays in try area.

ExecutorElassus wrote:
The GUI responds a little oddly to widget commands (like, it de-iconifies when I try to minimize it), but I can get around those things.

Is that the same issue as reported here? If so what are you all seeing this in? KDE, or some other DE? I haven't noticed it in gnome - but I seldom run the manager, btw if you run multiple boxes you should have a look at boinctasks (it is windows but runs under wine) you can use it as a replacement for the boinc manager even on a single box.
ExecutorElassus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using fvwm. For me, I can minimize the window using the menu with no problems; but if I minimize using the ↓ button, it pops right back up. I'm not sure what that's about, but I suspect it's something to do with changes to wxWidgets.

Cheers,

EE
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
I'm using fvwm. For me, I can minimize the window using the menu with no problems; but if I minimize using the ↓ button, it pops right back up. I'm not sure what that's about, but I suspect it's something to do with changes to wxWidgets.

Cheers,

EE

Just tried that in gnome - no probs using either the menu or _ button.
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trog Dog wrote:
woofie wrote:
I have little workaround if I minimaze boincmgr and than right-click to boinc icon in try and choose open boinc manager and than I can close manager and icon stays in try area.

ExecutorElassus wrote:

Is that the same issue as reported here? If so what are you all seeing this in? KDE, or some other DE? I haven't noticed it in gnome - but I seldom run the manager, btw if you run multiple boxes you should have a look at boinctasks (it is windows but runs under wine) you can use it as a replacement for the boinc manager even on a single box.

Hi, it should be this problem but as I wrote, I found a workarond and it's work for now. Now I'm using XFCE4 and have same problem when I try it in Openbox.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance but are these DE's GTK based?
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Openbox is WM only and XFCE4 is GTK based.
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExecutorElassus wrote:
Cheers,
EE

Hmm my boincmgr is affected with this bug too, but it pops up right after close the window and second attempt is more successful and close window into panel..
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huibert (huib on the boinc forums) who provided the missing menu patch has also provided a patch to fix some other menus (missing seperators), for those interested - updated ebuild (7.0.28-r3) and patch for /files subdir.

I'm going to rewrite the boinc ebuild over the weekend (hopefully) so that the source is downloaded direct from the svn to your host machine and submit it to the sunrise overlay.

I've also asked Huibert if he has any ideas about the fvwm/xfce/openbox weirdness - I'll post back with anything he comes up with.
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it sounds nice thanks for your work Trog Dog, I'm going to test this new ( -r3) ebuild now. Wouldn't be nice to rename or start new one thread as general boinc help thread?

Edit. Seams that this ebuild, and I don't know why, help me to unload boinc from memory when I set it into idle mode. Previous version was always hang in memory even if I set them to unload if I pause it.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Huiberts reply

huib wrote:
It probably only happens when the event log is open. The log is implemented as a non-modal dialog and most window managers will open the main window when a dialog receives focus (which will happen more often with a WM, like fvwm, that default to focus-follows-mouse).

Groetjes,
Huibert.

Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trog Dog wrote:
I'm going to rewrite the boinc ebuild over the weekend (hopefully) so that the source is downloaded direct from the svn to your host machine and submit it to the sunrise overlay.

OK took longer than I anticipated but I've rewritten (badly) the ebuild to use the subversion eclass. The ebuild is available here. You'll need all the previously mentioned patches. Download the ebuild to your local overlay and create a manifest. Providing it works I'll submit it to the sunrise overlay as a _pre release, and I'll keep doing this for each new beta release from the boinc devs.

EDIT: Just found out that the boinc devs are in the process of changing from svn to git :roll: - will update the ebuild as necessary. Also had a look at the sunrise documentation - I think I'll just post the ebuilds via the forums for the time being.
Woofie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, finally I found some free time and test your new ebuild. It works with no problem, thanks. Wouldn't be better to start a general boinc thread and leave this one only for problem with 6.12.42 boinc as OP start it?
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woofie wrote:
So, finally I found some free time and test your new ebuild. It works with no problem, thanks. Wouldn't be better to start a general boinc thread and leave this one only for problem with 6.12.42 boinc as OP start it?

Thanks for testing woofie, I'll put any new ebuilds in a new thread. However, as the boinc devs no longer support 6.12.42, more and more projects are requiring a 7 series client, and the gentoo devs are busy on other things really this workaround of do it yourself to get to the latest bugfixed version of boinc is the only way to go (until the gentoo devs have enough time to properly move us to the latest version).
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me guys, I really don't mean to sound cheeky, and that is not my intention, but....
Why have the Gentoo-devs stopped supporting BOINC-6-* when it is the only version in portage?
I could get my head around this if BOINC-7-* was in the tree (even if it was masked), but it isn't.
This does not make sense.
Is there any other reason apart from "too busy".
Yes I totally understand they are busy with a whole host of things, and that is why I stress my intentions are good.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thistled wrote:
Forgive me guys, I really don't mean to sound cheeky, and that is not my intention, but....
Why have the Gentoo-devs stopped supporting BOINC-6-* when it is the only version in portage?
I could get my head around this if BOINC-7-* was in the tree (even if it was masked), but it isn't.
This does not make sense.
Is there any other reason apart from "too busy".
Yes I totally understand they are busy with a whole host of things, and that is why I stress my intentions are good.

AFAIK scarabeus was the maintainer and he dropped support for boinc some time ago (I don't actually think he's even part of the sci team) but nobody else picked it up, so from time to time he does a version bump. If you check the blogs in http://planet.gentoo.org you can see he's pretty busy on some other big packages.
DancesWithWords
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woofie wrote:
So the site is up again and new version 7.0.28 is out.

I'll give that a try as the previous version just keep failing to compile.
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I wish I knew how to do this sort of thing, then I could take the bull by the horns and deal with it myself.
Should I look into dealing with BOINC releases and adding them to portage.
Trog Dog seems to be doing that already, but what he is posting to bugzilla isn't appearing in the tree.
Can I help in any way?
I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to ebuilds and programming, but I really want to help.
I love BOINC.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: