Thank you Gentoo community/developers!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fhaddad78
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Thank you Gentoo community/developers! Reply with quote

Preamble
--------------------------------
Hey, my name is Freddie, I am a novice Linux user, and most of my experience has been with Ubuntu and Fedora. A majority of my OS experience is with Windows. Anyhow, I'm starting at UCSD in the fall and when I went to transfer admit day, I saw they were using primarily Linux and Vim. I've been using Windows and Visual Studio -- quite a different world. So, I asked what distribution they were using and they said Gentoo (which I never heard of). So I did some reading and it sounded interesting... Enter the crazy decision to reformat and install Gentoo...

The thank you part (=
--------------------------------
Before trying to install Gentoo, I read the document online. Well, the first half, and then I tried to install. First attempt didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. Mainly because I didn't read the directions closely and carefully enough. Well, I printed everything out, reformatted a few more times, went through the installation process, and kernel compilations several times and well, after about 72 hours and a little bit of sleep, I have a kick-butt Gentoo installed completely customized and it's awesome!

So, I wanted to take a moment to say thank you to all the people who contributed countless hours to developing all the documentation which exists on gentoo.org. It was so well written and easy to follow and it was just a pleasant experience. I'm a Gentoo fan for life now!!!

I hope to one day be able to contribute to Linux as I am a computer science major. My skills are strongest in C++.

Once again, the support community here is awesome and Portage is without a doubt the most kick-butt software package system in the universe!

Gentoo rocks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fhaddad78,

Welcome to Gentoo.

People contribute to Gentoo accoring to their skills - you don't have to write software to contribute.
I came to the forums about 9 years ago looking for some help and answered a few posts while I was waiting for my question to be answered.
I'm still here answering posts. I post the odd question from time to time too.

In the free software world, an 'expert' is someone who knows more than you do. That means with a successful Gentoo install to your name and a few less successfule ones, you are already qualifed to help out. You will have learned a great deal more from the installs that didn't make it than from the one that did. You are already somebody elses expert.

Enjoy your Gentoo.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Gentoo community/developers! Reply with quote

fhaddad78 wrote:
First attempt didn't go as smoothly as I hoped. Mainly because I didn't read the directions closely and carefully enough. Well, I printed everything out, reformatted a few more times, went through the installation process, and kernel compilations several times and well, after about 72 hours and a little bit of sleep, I have a kick-butt Gentoo installed completely customized and it's awesome!

There is no better way... :wink:
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new system, and welcome to the forums. I've been using Gentoo and participating in the forums since my first install in 2002.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: