View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: The Razor-Qt Thread Reply with quote

Someone in a different thread suggested making a separate thread to discuss Razor-Qt, a new lightweight Qt-based desktop environment, so here it is!

I've recently switched from Xfce4 (I was previously using KDE, but I'm not really a fan of Plasma or other glitzy interfaces), and I like it so far. It's a bit "bare essentials" at this point, but that's all I really need out of a desktop :) It also seems surprisingly snappier than Xfce4. I'm still using Xfwm, though, because it's the only other WM except kwin that behaves the way I like.

Any other RazorQt users want to share their experiences or other comments about Razor-Qt? :D
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experimenting with razor-qt on a separate partition.
I like kde4 except for all the bling and unnecessary bloat.
So I use kdm and kwin and am trying to install other kde progs that I can't do without.
One of them is kde-misc/wacomtablet.
It installs fine but when I plug in the tablet I can't set it in System-settings.
It claims the dbus connection to the kded daemon is not available.
I'll try to find out what is causing this.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I like the KDE applications, just not the plasma shell.

Have you tried starting kded4 manually for the tablet?
Yggdrasil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it, but had a problem with the menu in the taskbar in 4.1; when I clicked it nothing would happen for a bit then it'd segfault, eventually causing the whole taskbar to be deactivated. It had worked fine with 4.0 however. When I ran it from console it had no useful output. I'll look back into it later, as I too like Qt, but don't like some of the things in KDE like strigi and ankonadi.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Etal.
I unmerged razorqt,then made a complete kde install.
Kde ran ok and I could set the tablet in System Settings.
I then re-emerged razorqt and restarted the desktop with razor-kwin selected.
Same problem.
When I run kded4 it says it's already running.
And System Settings gives the same message.
I think razor is somehow a "barrier" between hardware and kde.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use razorqt on desktop and today I installed it also on laptop. When combined with some standalone qt apps you get a nice DE.
Here is what I gather and use so far:
Code:
app-admin/keepassx - Qt password manager compatible with its Win32 and Pocket PC versions.
app-laptop/batterymeter - Simple battery state program
app-text/kchmviewer - KchmViewer is a feature rich chm file viewer, based on Qt.
app-text/qtpdfview - Qt4 pdf viewer
dev-vcs/qgit - Qt4 GUI for git repositories
kde-base/oxygen-icons - Oxygen SVG icon theme.
media-gfx/nomacs - Qt4-based image viewer
media-sound/qastools - Qt4 GUI ALSA tools: mixer, config browser
media-sound/qmmp - Qt4-based audio player with winamp/xmms skins support
net-im/qutim - New Qt4-based Instant Messenger (ICQ).
net-im/qwit - Qt4 cross-platform client for Twitter
net-misc/qconnman - Qt4 Connman Applet
net-misc/qrdc - Qt4 application launcher
sci-calculators/speedcrunch - A fast and usable calculator for power users
x11-misc/qlipper - Lightweight and cross-platform clipboard history applet.
x11-misc/qps - Visual process manager - Qt version of ps/top
x11-misc/qtfm - A small, lightweight file manager for desktops based on pure Qt
x11-misc/qtnotifydaemon - A flexible and configurable notification daemon
x11-misc/qxkb - Qt4-based keyboard layout switcher
x11-terms/qterminal - Qt4-based multitab terminal emulator
x11-themes/oxygen-gtk - Official GTK+:2 port of KDE's Oxygen widget style
x11-themes/oxygen-gtk3 - Official GTK+ 3 port of KDE's Oxygen widget style
x11-wm/openbox - A standards compliant, fast, light-weight, extensible window manager
x11-wm/razorqt - An advanced, easy-to-use, and fast desktop environment based on Qt

I used openbox before with Gnome, KDE4 and just openbox-session. I am used to it, and like it, so being the recommended choice by razorqt is fine with me.
I don't like that there is no way to install oxygen theme without kde libs, but oxygen-gtk can be used.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm returning as a Gentoo developer, one of the things I want to do is to get a complete RazorQt / QtDesktop setup going on Gentoo. Please feel free to contact me and other Gentoo Qt developers in the #gentoo-qt IRC channel on Freenode.

I have added a few useful ebuilds to the qt overlay, and I see M already has a nice list going. But I wonder where some of those ebuilds come from, because I haven't seen ebuilds for e.g. qtpdfview and qconnman yet. So can you tell us which overlay(s) they are in?

I would recommend people to try the following:
Code:
x11-misc/andromeda - Qt4-based filemanager
x11-misc/ptbatterysystemtray - A simple battery monitor in the system tray
x11-misc/qxkb - Qt4-based keyboard layout switcher
www-client/qupzilla - Qt WebKit web browser
media-sound/qastools - Qt4 GUI ALSA tools: mixer, config browser
media-video/smplayer - Great Qt4 GUI front-end for mplayer
media-sound/qmpdclient - QMPDClient with NBL additions, such as lyrics' display
net-p2p/transmission - A Fast, Easy and Free BitTorrent client

If anyone has any requests for packages to be added to the qt overlay (and eventually to portage), let me know.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I have added a few useful ebuilds to the qt overlay, and I see M already has a nice list going. But I wonder where some of those ebuilds come from, because I haven't seen ebuilds for e.g. qtpdfview and qconnman yet. So can you tell us which overlay(s) they are in?

I wrote some of the ebuilds, they are quickly hacked based on some ebuilds from qt overlay, I can upload them somewhere, although I am not sure which ones. I think qconnman, qtpdfview, qrdc and batterymeter.

Please also try http://code.google.com/p/batterymeter/ , I find it better then ptbatterysystemtray, can't remember why exactly because I tried many similar apps.

I would like to see qconnman in qt overlay, tray applet is not finished yet but frontend looks nice. https://github.com/OSSystems/qconnman .

Maybe later some razor-meta ebuild can be made?

M
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd like to see those ebuilds. It's always easier to start from an existing one. If you can upload them, or email them to me (yngwin@gmail.com), then I'll get them into the qt overlay. We have several people that would like to test these. And then any package that is stable enough will be added to portage.

Quote:

Meta ebuilds are old-style. I've already started on a QtDesktop set, which I will add to the qt overlay soon. Also, we should start a wiki page with a list of recommendations.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QtDesktop and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Razor-qt pages on our wiki. Please feel free to add to them and improve them.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Yes, I'd like to see those ebuilds. It's always easier to start from an existing one. If you can upload them, or email them to me (yngwin@gmail.com), then I'll get them into the qt overlay. We have several people that would like to test these. And then any package that is stable enough will be added to portage.

Quote:

Meta ebuilds are old-style. I've already started on a QtDesktop set, which I will add to the qt overlay soon. Also, we should start a wiki page with a list of recommendations.

You can download ebuilds here http://goo.gl/B0Hkn . I didn't check license for some apps so this should be checked. I also included batterymeter so you can try it, judging by commits it is more or less active as ptbatterysystemtray is. I know about sets, I have one for razor, but I use paludis so syntax is different, but I can change that easily.

I just saw qtvim on wiki page you created, any ebuild available right now? I would like to try it, I just saw source on gitorious and it looks like regular vim with qt frontend (I know for earlier attempts, qt3 I think, but that was removed many years ago...)

M
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! I just added your ebuilds to the qt overlay, except for qtpdfview, as qpdfview (a better, further developed, alternative) was recently added to portage. I have also added a qtdesktop set, and updated the wiki page with more suggestions.

Quote:
I just saw qtvim on wiki page you created, any ebuild available right now?

Not yet, but that is on my todo list. It is indeed regular vim, with a Qt4 GUI, instead of the regular GTK+ one.
joekickass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Now that I'm returning as a Gentoo developer, one of the things I want to do is to get a complete RazorQt / QtDesktop setup going on Gentoo. Please feel free to contact me and other Gentoo Qt developers in the #gentoo-qt IRC channel on Freenode.

Hi,

I'm an ex Ubuntu user going Gentoo and would like to try out RazorQt. I successfully installed and started it using KWin, but now want to try out OpenBox + Slim + RazorQt. This I cannot get to work, mostly because I don't really understand the responsibility between the different X components like login-manager, session-manager, window-manager, desktop-environment, and how to configure them properly. I would very much appreciate any help I can get!

I've tried to find information the Openbox Wiki (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Openbox), RazorQt Wiki (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Razor-qt) and Slim Wiki (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SLiM), but can't really figure out how to start the razor session from the slim login screen. All I get is an empty (black) desktop after logging in through slim.

BR
Tomas
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The login manager is a program that logs you in and starts the session.

You want to configure SLiM to launch the "startrazor" command once you log in. (I never used SLiM, but the guide you liked seems pretty comprehensive.)

Razor-Qt will then start everything else that's needed (including window manager - you can configure which one in Razor's Session Configuration)
joekickass
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
The login manager is a program that logs you in and starts the session.

You want to configure SLiM to launch the "startrazor" command once you log in. (I never used SLiM, but the guide you liked seems pretty comprehensive.)

Razor-Qt will then start everything else that's needed (including window manager - you can configure which one in Razor's Session Configuration)

Thanks for the tip. I think my main problem was that I though openbox would start razor, not the other way around. I managed to get it to work by starting an Xsession from SLiM and adding the following code to my ~/.xsession
Code:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/razor-session

Don't forget to make it executable:
Code:

chmod +x ~/.xsession

As mentioned in the SLiM guide, I added SLiM to /etc/conf.d/xdm:
Code:

DISPLAYMANAGER="slim"

and xdm to the default runlevel:
Code:

rc-update add xdm default

However, I forgot to also add dbus to the default runlevel, which resulted in my black screen:
Code:

rc-update add dbus default

Perhaps it can help someone else.
/ Tomas
tauflux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Razorqt on Gentoo works great. Does the job. Reply with quote

I got tired of waiting around for KDE to start, crashing on logout and Nepomuk complaining that it couldn't index stuff I don't need indexing. So I installed razor-qt from Portage and some applications from the qt overlay.

Quite frankly razor-qt is brilliant on Gentoo. As they say, it just works; without extra baggage.
Some may say I should have tried Gnome. But I decided to keep to QT for now.

I'm a bit nervous about installing version 9999 of qterminal and andromeda, but I'll run portpeek regularly and sort that out when real version numbers get into Portage or the overlay.

Many thanks to the developers of razorqt and lots of other qt applications that don't depend on large libraries.

Jim
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am back as Gentoo dev, things are speeding up. Today I committed andromeda (file manager) and qxkb (keyboard layout switcher) to portage. A number of other applications have been committed to portage as well, in the meantime, as you can see from the QtDesktop wiki page.

There is also a qtdesktop set in the qt overlay, if you would like to use that.

On the Razor-qt front, I have been told that the next release, which will be 0.5, is still a way off.

If there is anything else you would like to see concerning Razor-qt or QtDesktop, please let me know.
zlm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think x11-misc/ptbatterysystemtray-9999.ebuild is broken in two ways. In the line before the last, it should read "ptbatterysystemtray.pro" (lowercase). Also, it now depends on qt-gui-4.8.1.
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting this post!I'd like to recommend for razorqt:

qterminal
qtfm
juffed
umplayer
opera-next

would be interesting to hear other apps...
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yngwin created a nice list of Qt apps on our wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QtDesktop
john-doe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see on that list screensavers...can someone recommend me a nice one for razor? is xscreensaver default for all distros?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's alock and xlockmore. Not qt based, but I hardly see how that could make any difference for a program that just blanks the screen or draws random shapes.
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using Razor-QT yet, but as a former KDE user, I'm considering more and more migrating. I'm currently using awesome wm, but as a desktop machine, awesome doesn't seem to fulfill my needs, a windowed system makes much more sense in my use case.

Anyways, I've seen screenshots of Andromeda and really liked it, but I can't build it. Since no one complained about it here, I guess it's a configuration problem.

I'm building andromeda-0.2.1:

Relevant info:

Quote:
Building CXX object tests/auto/pluginspec/CMakeFiles/tst_pluginspec.dir/tst_pluginspec.cpp.o
/usr/lib64/ccache/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -O2 -march=native -pipe -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -shared -Wl,-soname,libtestplugin3.so -o ../../../plugins/libtestplugin3.so CMakeFiles/testplugin3.dir/testplugin3.cpp.o CMakeFiles/testplugin3.dir/moc_testplugin3.cxx.o /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so /usr/lib64/qt4/libQ
tCore.so ../../../lib64/libextensionsystem.so /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64/qt4:/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build/lib64
cd /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build/tests/auto/pluginspec && /usr/lib64/ccache/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DUNICODE -DGIT_REVISION=\"unknown\" -DPROJECT_VERSION=\"0.2.1.0\" -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DNDEBUG -O2 -march=native -pipe -I/var/tmp/portage/
x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build/tests/auto/pluginspec -I/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1/tests/auto/pluginspec -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtDesigner -I/usr/include/qt4/QtScriptTools -I/usr/include/qt4/QtDBus
-I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXmlPatterns -I/usr/include/qt4/QtWebKit -I/usr/include/qt4/QtUiTools -I/usr/include/qt4/QtScript -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSvg -I/usr/include/qt4/Qt3Support -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/default -I/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andro
meda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1/src/libs/extensionsystem -Wall -o CMakeFiles/tst_pluginspec.dir/tst_pluginspec.cpp.o -c /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1/tests/auto/pluginspec/tst_pluginspec.cpp
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build/CMakeFiles
[ 39%] Built target testplugin3
make -f src/libs/guisystem/CMakeFiles/guisystem.dir/build.make src/libs/guisystem/CMakeFiles/guisystem.dir/depend
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build/CMakeFiles
[ 39%] /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1/tests/auto/pluginspec/tst_pluginspec.cpp:2:25: fatal error: QtTest/QtTest: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [tests/auto/pluginspec/CMakeFiles/tst_pluginspec.dir/tst_pluginspec.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/andromeda-0.2.1/work/andromeda-0.2.1_build'
make[1]: *** [tests/auto/pluginspec/CMakeFiles/tst_pluginspec.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Full build log http://paste.lugons.org/show/1113/

Last edited by Spidey on Fri May 18, 2012 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you need to install x11-libs/qt-test. If so, you should file a bug report.
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did the trick. Bug created: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416445
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: