girlfriend - gentoo puzzle
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: girlfriend - gentoo puzzle Reply with quote

Hi,
I will try to 'cheat' my girlfriend to dualboot gentoo with winxp. I want that she give a try for linux. And I think if gentoo is a good choice (Maybe Ubuntu). I case is it must at least looks like windows. Why just get her feeling is quite similar. I know it kind of stupid make linux looks like win, but it for 'community' good to get one more user, later when she get feel good after change "D:\My documents" to "/home/girlfriend" I will show her power of linux. So question to you what you suggest:

1. distro (gentoo/sabayon/ubuntu/other)
2. win manager (xfce/gnome/kde/other)
3. theme/style

PS. No so powerfull comp Athlon XP 2000+, 1.5 GB, HDD 40 GM, Radeon 9100

/mihau
obsrv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo and only Gentoo :) if its impossible to use gentoo then you can give a shot for ArchLinux. KDE and only KDE, because its most familliar to Windowz, GNOME is more like Mac OS X imho. Theme? Go to opendesktop and choose one :) you can tell your girlfriend that its a brand new theme for Windowz :D
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the first post in this topic - https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-843784.html

I should warn you, his wallpaper is not safe for work, but you will see how similar they can be made to look ;)
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good luck to you. I really mean that -- I hope that you have much luck with this. I've been trying to convince my wife to use Linux -- just any kind of Linux (maybe as a gateway to Gentoo :) ), and she is still not convinced.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want that she give a try for linux.

So you don't like having sex that much, do you? Seriously though, most people _hate_ to change their habits, and you shouldn't try to make them unless there's a real good reason. And if you really have to do it, try Ubuntu first, it's much more newbie friendly.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows xp ?

no problem:
*click*

(better check the script if it's harmless - just to be sure)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: girlfriend - gentoo puzzle Reply with quote

emc wrote:
Hi,
I will try to 'cheat' my girlfriend to dualboot gentoo with winxp. I want that she give a try for linux. And I think if gentoo is a good choice (Maybe Ubuntu). I case is it must at least looks like windows. Why just get her feeling is quite similar. I know it kind of stupid make linux looks like win, but it for 'community' good to get one more user, later when she get feel good after change "D:\My documents" to "/home/girlfriend" I will show her power of linux. So question to you what you suggest:

1. distro (gentoo/sabayon/ubuntu/other)
2. win manager (xfce/gnome/kde/other)
3. theme/style

PS. No so powerfull comp Athlon XP 2000+, 1.5 GB, HDD 40 GM, Radeon 9100

/mihau

1. Gentoo Testing Tree
2. KDE 4.5.2
3. Default theme with some Minor changes to make it more Windows-like, such as changing the clock to display AM/PM and the day of the week, adding a quick launch bar, putting some commonly used programs on the quick launch bar and modifying dolphin to require two clicks instead of one to open a folder. Also, install either chromium or firefox and configure that to be the default browse for html pages instead of Konqueror so that she has a familiar browser to use.
4. You might also want to install WINE, Microsoft Office inside of WINE and some good media players for her. Be sure to install Java, Flash and Acrobat Reader and make sure that the browser plugins are working properly. Look at what software she uses and make sure that you cover anything I missed in terms of making it available.
5. Lastly, make certain that all of the fonts on the system are beautiful.

If you do that, she should not really have much trouble adjusting. KDE was inspired by Windows and the similarities are striking if you configure it properly. I did all of the above on my own systems and people often mistake it for Windows at first glance.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you might get it wrong, i have put a gentoo on my nieve computer to let her try it (she was bored with virus).

First thing she was pleased off was that it wasn't looking like windows (i think i break a record at using "was" in a phrase). Not only it doesn't look like windows, but it could be change to a real personal looking.
Now i'm scared when i see her desktop, where the "one ring" home icon is next to a stitch trash put on a sum41 background
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an Ubuntu based Chinese Linux distribution "Ylmf OS" which aims to re-create the looks of Windows XP. Earlier versions even used the Internet Explorer icon to launch Firefox (and similar shenanigans), but this practice was abandoned for good reason. The distro supports both Chinese and English language installs.

See http://www.ylmf.org/ for more information.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried that in the past and got nowhere. Presenting Linux as "just like Windows" is sure to fail. Any deviation from genuine Windows is a failure instead of a feature. Linux is different and should be different. If I wanted Windows I would buy Windows. Trying to "trick" her into thinking it's Windows is patronizing. My 80-year-old parents can tell the difference and they're both half blind. So can your GF.

What DID work is this:

Present an option, but zero pressure. Install an account for her on your box. Tweak her desktop with a few neat features that show off Linux a LITTLE bit, a couple extra special effects -- especially if they're useful -- and a desktop that has something she likes as a backdrop. Put shortcuts to her mail and her favorite tools where it's easy to find. If your box is quick, throw on a few more effects on your login than usual, show off the features, so even if she doesn't log in she sees what you use. Personally I use the jiggly windows.

My gf can't help trying on new clothes wherever she goes, and a new car, and whatever else whether we can afford it or not. Her phone has a new game on it every third day. If your GF refuses to try something different on a computer then she can try not buying any new clothes for a few months. It's the same thing.

She has a Vista laptop. She keeps getting the latest virus/trojan/whatever, I think it's Facebook mostly but not sure, I've never actually had a Windows box. Her laptop gets new games, new favorites and new viruses at a blinding rate. At one point I tried installing Ubuntu on the laptop on a separate drive (swap drives, keep the original for a backup) but she didn't like it so I swapped back. Every few days I'd run the antivirus super scooper on it and it would be clean for a day or so. When she gets a virus and needs to get something done, she logs into my box and does it. She pretty much never uses her laptop anymore. I keep scraping the virii off but they keep coming back.

Before too long I think I'm going to try to find an easy-to-use distro to try out on her laptop again.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.

Don't continually "demonstrate" how neat Linux is. Use it, let her look if she wants. Any "lookie what I can do honey!" will be pressure and she'll run off.

Just have an account for her if she wants it, make it neat, different and obviously functional and use YOUR account to do what you do. And let her play every now and then. :)
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest first find what programs she uses in windows and then find linux equivalents that also work in windows. After she get used them in windows and pleased with them, it will easier converting to linux.

acrobat reader -> evince
outlook -> thunderbird
internet explorer -> firefox
media player -> smplayer, vlc
...etc.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I had it easy, my parents don't want to spend money on computers, once I told them windows costed money, they happily switched to Linux...

Not sure if this works on everyone though...
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I suppose I had it easy, my parents don't want to spend money on computers, once I told them windows costed money, they happily switched to Linux...

Not sure if this works on everyone though...

Absolutely not.

Some people must have the best, whatever they believe that to be. Everyone has different standards for that, I've seen everything from "best=most expensive" to "best=least expensive" to "best=most commonly used" to "best=open source" (who believes that, anyway?!) or "best=what my brother-in-law said"

In almost every case, once they get that "best=something" they can't seem to change their minds.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I convinced my wife to give Ubuntu a try, and she adapted to it quickly. I chose Ubuntu because she could do software updates (esp. security updates)herself, which she was happy with. Overall she enjoyed the speed, robustness and consistent design compared to Windows.

Unfortunately, she really needed Windows for work so she switched back :(
tobbebobbe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ll give you the same answer as I got on IRC: If you´re asking for girlfriend advice on a linux forum you´re in trouble.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the advice you're asking for.

If it's how to get one, then yes you are clueless.

If it's how to persuade one to give Linux a try, then IMO he's a step ahead of a large number of people on this forum. At least he's got one to ask about.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. Seriously?

This isn't even really about the bf or gf. It's about a strategy to get somebody to try Linux. Specifically a non-geek. I'm a success story. So what's wrong with that? Did you actually read the thread or just post blindly?

BTW, your image link seems to be dead.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont understand the relevance of the photo
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
i dont understand the relevance of the photo

I don't think anybody understand the relevant of resurrecting an old thread like this either, two years after it went silent. But yes, you are right, I'll remove my post altogether so you can continue discussing the "serious" thing without any disturbance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: