Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
700+ packages, different machine, will it finish...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: 700+ packages, different machine, will it finish... Reply with quote

I was using an external USB enclosure for a 2.5" laptop HDD to run Gentoo on my netbook before I got a 32G SSD for it. This was a while ago, it was still using Gnome 2.26 or 2.28 I believe. After a few hacks I was able to get it to boot off of USB.

Now comes another machine, a full laptop with no HDD as it was surplused. It has Intel graphics like my netbook though a bit older, so I gave it a shot and took the PATA HDD out of the case and into the machine...

WOAH it booted and got into the GUI without changes, despite being inserted into the PATA slot now (thanks to the initramfs of course)! After emerging firmware and changing the kernel config slightly, I got the machine pretty much fully functional... Sound, wifi, and ethernet were different on this machine than the netbook.

I had to emerge --sync to pick up new firmware. Then for kicks, I emerge --update --newuse --deep --pretend world. 700+ packages changed since the last time I built it.

I was kind of shocked, there were a few blockers that were resolvable by portage. But it didn't give any serious errors at the end. So I let it do its deed.

After a little while it died, with a la file issue. I emerged lafilefixer and let it have at the .la files.

And now it's emerge --resuming...

I wonder what's the chances of a functional machine :D (Honestly I'm very surprised and thankful for the Gentoo devs that I did not see a whole mess of circular dependencies... I would have expected a throwaway system at this point based on past experience of long durations of no updates...)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You usually only get those blockers with messy package.keywords and package.mask dirs these days... this is how comfortable portage has become. :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm shocked...

It's now got about 260 packages to go. So many thanks needed for it to even get through updating 440 packages without issues, short of that libtool issue which was easy enough to fix.

Hope that this machine will be bootable after it's finished. I forgot if this disk had baselayout1 or baselayout2, that would be a boot killer. This definitely inspires a bit more confidence in updating another machine - my father's computer that I installed Gentoo on - remotely. It better work right, I can't make a house call if it doesn't boot - machine's thousands of miles away...

[UPDATE]

Doh. File conflict between Policykit and Polkit.

It looks like my machine was built in the hal days, so I have to remove hal, then I can get rid of policykit and use only polkit. Worked around it by removing policykit so that polkit will merge...

[UPDATE 2]
It is done. The machine appears usable. Note: Do NOT try to change python versions while it's building. Sorry, can't save time, have to let it build, then change versions, then run python-updater :( After the python-updater, doing a pass of --depclean, and another revdep-rebuild it looks like the upgrade was successful. Gnome 2.3.28 -> Gnome 2.3.32 seems to have worked...

Now to polish the install and trim it a bit...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: