Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
No video input when I switch from X to console (Solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: No video input when I switch from X to console (Solved) Reply with quote

Hello,
I use the Vesafb framebuffer for characters terminals and ati-drivers (Fgrlx) with Xorg. I can switch from X to those terminals and come back to X normaly. What's appen at a time according to the OSD of my Philips 150 S VGA display, is I loose the video input when I switch form X to console. /dev/tty1 is the one I switch to the most. The screen go to sleep, I have no video output anymore, no shortcuts works. I precise I haven't loose the video input otherwhise.

The system work because I can ssh on it from an other machine. The only thing I can do from the host is to shutdown Gentoo using the power button ACPI even.

I do not know how to start to investigate this problem. Is it the kernel configuration and/or parameters, the Fglrx driver, the screen itself, or else?

My Gentoo installation have been switch from a laptop installation to a desktop. It changed after a while from UP to SMP kernel because the desktop processor is dual-core. Can it be the cause ? Is this way to loose of video input have been seen here?

I am gone try the Uvesafb for test. It seem's that the dual video drivers Vesafb/Fglrx conflict. Radeon KMS do not work.

Last edited by Logicien on Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way does Radeon KMS fail?
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMS console black screen (Caicos Radeon HD 6450) (Unsolved)
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not loose video input with kernel framebuffer Uvesafb and Ati-drivers (Fglrx). The kernel parameter nocrtc like
Code:
cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz noresume panic=10 quiet ro root=/dev/sda7 splash=silent,theme:Factice video=uvesafb:1024x768-32,mtrr:4,nocrtc,ywrap

do not change the BIOS frequency of the screen, 60 Hz so, all characters terminals work together with no flake. There delay X <-> console stay.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you've failed to read your own thread, notice, that you didn't post any real info (i.e. new system log), after you've dealt with missing firmware messages.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to tell the real reason why I was loosing the video signal. I putted the kernel parameter
Code:
video=vesafb:mtrr:4

or

video=uvesafb:mtrr:4

The MTRRs where modified by the kernel framebuffer in use, Vesafb or Uvesafb, to setup them for write-through. Fglrx set them for write-back by default. So, when switching from X to a framebuffer terminal, the MTRRs add to be changed. It was during that time that the screen OSD was displaying a short sleep mode message until the framebuffer drive the card.

Possibly the MTRRs have not been restored (correctly) for the framebuffer driver at a moment. The result seem's to be that the graphic card was not drived anymore and no relay between Uvesafb/Vesafb and Fglrx was possible. The screen went to sleep mode permanently.

The system was working, the Internet connection was shared. Ignoring the cause of the problem, I haven't check via ssh the state of the MTRRs (cat /proc/mtrr).

When I changed the framebuffer kernel parameter for mtrr:3 (write-combining) or mtrr:0 (momtrr), the screen OSD stop to display this message. I haven't loose the video signal since then. As I have seen on the Internet, I finaly choose to disable completely the use of MTRRs by the framebuffer driver (mtrr:0 or nomtrr). A more scientific explanation can be done. I mark this problem as resolved.

About the non working Radeon KMS, ArchLinux, Gentoo and no live-cd have been able to work with. So, because it was working easily with all Radeon graphics cards I had before, I am just gone check with new kernels versions from live-cds if there is some progress with my dual GPU:
Code:
lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9644
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB XHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:10.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB XHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SMBus Controller (rev 13)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6450]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: