Fix: old, broken, restricted, limited VPS install [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Fix: old, broken, restricted, limited VPS install [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Here is the story. About 1 year ago i bought a VPS to ovh.net (ovh.net, ovh.com , ovh.pt, ovh.pt, etc etc they are all the same).

I first installed debian and for 1 year the vps was ok. Limited but ok. Last year i renewed the service for 2 more years and recently i tried to update the system. BIG mistake. Very regrettable.

To make a long story very short OVH debian broke; Their iscsi system was malfunctioning so bad that even most recovery options were not even working. Outdated kernels; udev problems ... this went to the point if seriously incompetent support service, technical service and customer service. All they care is if the machine responds to pings. I had email replies that not even a 15 year old that started to learn how to use linux will use to justify something.

In time they recognized their problem. Removed debian from the available install options and selections. Said they would compensate me for my downtimes. I had given up on using the service which almost caused me 2 years of data loss. (I will never EVER use OVH in my life and will not risk my work there again) but the box is paid for 2 more years. Although it wont be hosting my work i thought about putting it at the service to help other projects in regards of bandwidth and storage and decided to install gentoo in there. (available version from 2007)

Gentoo also faces the same problems as debian. In fact OVH as admitted that my service is now obsolete and no longer supported. They refuse to reimburse me or provide working solutions (ovh.pt) at no economic cost.

I am now stuck with a service that uses their own kernel which to what i was told i am stuck with. Uses their own portage ebuild system and custom packages which besides outdated and broken i was able to change. Any attempt of system or world update with their portage results in endless amount of fail installs/compile logs that i never seen in 7 years of gentoo.
With their install i am unable to use updated or even install a basic software package either because of dependencies or lack of dependencies. this counts for manually compile too.

Gentlemen... this company even provides 2.4 kernels and prevents clients to use their own kernel. Their solution is to upgrade to a better service which means pay for a new server package.

I have been trying to fix gentoo and at every fail i have to reinstall it and start from zero. I have lost my patience with their lousy and terrible customer/tech service which is unacceptable at all levels.

This now takes me to the following state:

I have tried:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
http://blog.jolexa.net/2009/03/gentoo-tips-to-upgrade-your-really-old-installation

Maybe given to exhaustion and or overlooking something i have hit a barrier and even to i was able to update quite a lot of the system, i have reached now some crucial updates that became hard to fix.

Right now i am stuck with:
Code:
line 6: BASHOPTS: readonly variable

And cannot compile very much everything else:

# emerge -pv portage

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/libtool-2.4-r1  USE="-test -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 [2.4.4-r6, 2.5.4-r4] USE="gdbm ncurses readline ssl threads (wide-unicode) xml -berkdb -build -doc -examples -ipv6 -sqlite -tk -wininst" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.57 [2.1.6.13] USE="(ipc%*) -build -doc -epydoc (-pypy1_8) -python2% -python3% (-selinux) -xattr% (-less%*)" LINGUAS="-pl" 801 kB
[blocks B     ] dev-lang/python:2.7 ("dev-lang/python:2.7" is blocking sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.13)
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.9 ("<sys-apps/portage-2.1.9" is blocking dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3)

Total: 3 packages (1 upgrade, 1 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 801 kB
Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

('ebuild', '/', 'dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3', 'merge') pulled in by
    >=dev-lang/python-2.7 required by ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.57', 'merge')

Code:
# python -V
Python 2.5.4

Code:
# eselect python list
Available Python interpreters:
  [1]   python2.4
  [2]   python2.5 *

Code:
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3 [2.3.6-r3] USE="(multilib*) -debug% -gd% -vanilla%"
[ebuild  NS   ]  sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r2 [3.4.5] USE="cxx fortran mudflap (multilib) nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -gcj -graphite -gtk (-hardened) (-libssp) -lto -multislot -nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla"

* Error: circular dependencies:

('ebuild', '/', 'sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r2', 'merge') depends on
  ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3', 'merge') (buildtime)
('ebuild', '/', 'sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3', 'merge') depends on
  ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r2', 'merge') (buildtime)

python-updater results in a endless amount of lines like the following:

Code:
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 65: /etc/init.d/functions.sh: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 22, in <module>
AttributeError: 'portdbapi' object has no attribute 'repositories'
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 621: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 622: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 623: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 624: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 625: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 626: eindent: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 630: eoutdent: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 860: eindent: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 861: einfo: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 862: eindent: command not found
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 864: eoutdent: command not found

Code:
# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/specs
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5/work/gcc-3.4.5/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.4.5 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/include/g++-v3 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-multilib --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++,f77 --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.5 (Gentoo 3.4.5, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)

Code:
# emerge -pv bash

[ebuild     U ] app-shells/bash-4.2_p24-r1 [4.2_p20] USE="net readline%* -afs -bashlogger -examples -mem-scramble -nls -plugins -vanilla" 0 kB
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.7.16 ("<sys-apps/portage-2.1.7.16" is blocking app-shells/bash-4.2_p24-r1)

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

('ebuild', '/', 'app-shells/bash-4.2_p24-r1', 'merge') pulled in by

emerge --info

Code:
Portage 2.1.6.13 (default/linux/amd64/10.0/server, gcc-3.4.5, libc-0-r0, 2.6.32.2-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.32.2-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64-x86_64-Intel-R-_Atom-TM-_CPU_D425_@_1.80GHz-with-glibc2.2.5
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     4.2_p20
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r6, 2.5.4-r4
dev-util/pkgconfig:  0.20
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.3
sys-apps/sandbox:    2.5
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1, 1.10.3, 1.11.5
sys-devel/binutils:  2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:       3.4.5
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r2
sys-devel/make:      3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 2.6.30-r1
sys-libs/glibc:      2.3.6-r3
virtual/os-headers:  0
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=nocona"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/local/apache/conf /usr/local/lib/php4 /usr/local/lib/php5 /var/bind"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=nocona"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/ http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo"
LANG="en_US"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl acpi amd64 aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon berkdb bts bzip2 ccache clflush cli cmov constant_tsc cracklib crypt cups cx16 cx8 cxx de dri ds_cpl dtes64 dts fortran fpu fxsr gcrypt gdbm geoip gnutls gpm ht iconv lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx modules monitor movbe msr mtrr mudflap multilib mysql ncurses netboot nptl nptlonly nx openmp pae pat pbe pcre pdcm pebs pge pni pppd pse pse36 readline rep_good sep session smp ss sse sse2 ssl ssmtp ssse3 syscall sysfs syslog tcpd tm tm2 truetype truetypem tsc udev unicode vme xinetd xml xorg xtpr zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga neomagic nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware voodoo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY, USE_PYTHON

revdep-rebuild fails for many packages due to explained problems.

Code:
line 6: BASHOPTS: readonly variable

everything else:
Code:
(masked by: EAPI 4)

...and similar

Code:
# eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/amd64/10.0
  [2]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
  [4]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
  [6]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
  [7]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
  [8]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/server *
  [9]   hardened/linux/amd64
  [10]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
  [11]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
  [12]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux

All ideas are more than welcome ...

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244

Last edited by HeXiLeD on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 am; edited 4 times in total
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage requires a minimum of python-2.6. The only package manager you'll get to work on that is pkgcore which can still operate on python-2.5.

But there are many newer pkgs that rely on newer kernels, so for that reason you are likely to run into other upgrade troubles.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Paludis, which only requires C++ and some small utilities in its minimal configuration. Then run the portage2paludis.bash script to migrate your Portage setup.

Of course, you should backup your system first.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now i was able to install python 2.7:

HOWTO: Manually install python (broken python)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-814533-start-0.html

I am not sure how to take it from here as python-updater still behaves like before but thought about updating portage the same way.

The kernel in use is:
Code:
Linux r35838.ovh.net 2.6.32.2-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 #4 SMP Sat Sep 18 12:06:23 UTC 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linu

Code:
# eselect python list
  [1]   python2.4
  [2]   python2.5
  [3]   python2.7 *

Code:
 # python -V
Python 2.7.3

Code:
# emerge -pv portage

[ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/libtool-2.4-r1  USE="-test -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 [2.4.4-r6, 2.5.4-r4] USE="gdbm ncurses readline ssl threads (wide-unicode) xml -berkdb -build -doc -examples -ipv6 -sqlite -tk -wininst" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.57 [2.1.6.13] USE="(ipc%*) -build -doc -epydoc (-pypy1_8) -python2% -python3% (-selinux) -xattr% (-less%*)" LINGUAS="-pl" 801 kB
[blocks B     ] dev-lang/python:2.7 ("dev-lang/python:2.7" is blocking sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.13)
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.9 ("<sys-apps/portage-2.1.9" is blocking dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3)

Total: 3 packages (1 upgrade, 1 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 801 kB
Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

('ebuild', '/', 'dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3', 'merge') pulled in by
    >=dev-lang/python-2.7 required by ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.57', 'merge')

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

* IMPORTANT: 9 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

Edit:
I was able to get portage fixed by manually install python (despite the errors) and then do the same for portage.
I also had to install a few other packages manuall such as libtool.
Portage is now updating itself was well as python 3*
Once i fix gcc and glibc i will post the what i did to get it all fixed.

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244

Last edited by HeXiLeD on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very slowly i have been able to install one package here one package there from source playing eith their versions and using older versions while slowly upgrading them untill they fail and until i ran out of options.
Then i moved to use binhost from http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org which allowed me to continue with the same results; one package here one package there doing the same has before....

Right now at least gcc is at 4.5* but

Code:
# gcc -v
/usr/bin/gcc-config: line 19: /etc/init.d/functions.sh: No such file or directory
gcc-config: Could not source /etc/init.d/functions.sh!
gcc-config error: Could not get compiler binary path: No such file or directory

Python at 2.7 but strangely some applications ask for 2.6.
Portage at 2.1.10.57 and i hit another wall.

Almost all packages now fail to install or compile due to the following 4 errors:

Code:
econf failed
Failed Running autoconf
emake failed
Failed Running aclocal

HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i almost got it fixed it broke. I have reinstalled the system and retried many times.
The tinderbox solution fails if i replace all 3 packages right away.
The gentoo handbook portage upgrade seems the most functional method and from there trying to install and upgrade packages slowly by old versions; one by one until they get to current date or closer.
I also created my own binhost using a almost the same machine environment but without success.

Right now i have created bin packages for all packages installed in that machine as a backup method and am stuck with upgrading portage since it needs bash 4. Bash 4 fails to compile.

Code:
# python-updater
python-updater: Bash >=4.0 required

Code:
 # emerge -pv dev-lang/python

[ebuild  NS   ] dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 [2.4.4-r6, 2.5.4-r4] USE="-berkdb -build -doc -examples gdbm -ipv6 ncurses readline -sqlite ssl threads -tk (wide-unicode) -wininst xml" 0 kB

Code:
# emerge -pv portage

[ebuild  NS   ] dev-lang/python-2.7.2-r3 [2.4.4-r6, 2.5.4-r4] USE="-berkdb -build -doc -examples gdbm -ipv6 ncurses readline -sqlite ssl threads -tk (wide-unicode) -wininst xml" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.49 [2.1.6.13] USE="-build -doc -epydoc (ipc%*) (-less%*) (-pypy1_8) -python2% -python3% (-selinux) -xattr%" LINGUAS="-pl" 786 kB

Code:
# gcc-config -l     
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardened
 [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardenednopie
 [4] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardenednopiessp
 [5] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardenednossp
 [6] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *

I still have glibc upgrade to do which will be another wall.

Code:
*  sys-libs/glibc [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 9999
      Latest version installed: 2.3.6-r3
      Size of files: 0 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html
      Description:   GNU libc6 (also called glibc2) C library
      License:       LGPL-2

Code:
# emerge -pv bash

[ebuild     U ] app-shells/bash-4.2_p20 [3.2_p17] USE="-afs -bashlogger -examples% -mem-scramble% net%* -nls* -plugins% -vanilla" 0 kB [?=>0]
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/portage-2.1.7.16 ("<sys-apps/portage-2.1.7.16" is blocking app-shells/bash-4.2_p20)

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /usr/portage
 [?] indicates that the source repository could not be determined

('ebuild', '/', 'app-shells/bash-4.2_p20', 'merge') pulled in by
    bash

I have been trying to look for older bash versions to slowly upgrade them until some stage is able to meet dependencies requirements but without success . Does anyone knows where or still have ebuils or and or packages prior to 4.0 but higher than 3.2_p17 ?
I cannot use the tinderbox method as it will break it.

Code:
# ls /usr/portage/app-shells/bash/
bash-3.1_p17.ebuild  bash-4.0_p38.ebuild  bash-4.1_p11.ebuild  bash-4.1_p9.ebuild   bash-4.2_p20.ebuild  bash-4.2_p24-r1.ebuild  ChangeLog  Manifest
bash-3.2_p51.ebuild  bash-4.1_p10.ebuild  bash-4.1_p7.ebuild   bash-4.2_p10.ebuild  bash-4.2_p24.ebuild  bash-4.2_p8-r1.ebuild   files      metadata.xml

emerge =app-shells/bash-3.2_p51 gets 404 replies

HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more retries where trial and error was the only option, i was able to update the system.
This took full time dedication. Had to upgrade packages slowly by using older versions and upgrading as fit and possible.
Sometimes using my own binary packages, other times downgrading and upgrading to be able to avoid circular dependencies and in the middle of all some "IT voodoo"also happened.

In the end there was udev, the kernel and openrc/baselayout. Once i changed baselayout i lost connectivity and had to boot the machine froma live recovery system where i am currently stuck.
The udev update; kernel sources and openrc were selected to match the running kernel and not higher versions.

This now takes me to:

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rescue.ovh.net 2.6.32.2-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 #4 SMP Sat Sep 18 12:09:32 UTC 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:
# gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2
 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.3 *

Code:
 # emerge -pv portage python glibc gcc

[ebuild   R    ] dev-lang/python-3.2.2  USE="-build -doc -examples gdbm -ipv6 ncurses readline -sqlite ssl threads -tk (wide-unicode) -wininst xml" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.49  USE="-build -doc -epydoc (ipc) (-pypy1_8) -python2 -python3 (-selinux) -xattr" LINGUAS="-pl" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/glibc-2.14.1-r3  USE="-debug -gd (-hardened) (multilib) -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r2  USE="(-altivec) -bootstrap -build cxx -doc (-fixed-point) fortran -gcj -graphite -gtk (-hardened) (-libssp) -lto mudflap (multilib) -multislot -nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp nptl -objc -objc++ -objc-gc openmp -test -vanilla" 0 kB

Code:
 # python -V
Python 2.7.2

Code:
# eselect python list
  [1]   python2.5
  [2]   python2.6
  [3]   python2.7 *
  [4]   python3.2

Code:
# emerge -pv udev openrc baselayout

[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.3  USE="-build" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.9.8.4  USE="-debug ncurses -pam (-selinux) -static-libs unicode" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udev-146-r1  USE="devfs-compat -extras (-selinux)" 0 kB

However i cannot boot the machine. I tried their KVM boot method which provides VNC administration and am able to see that boot gets very slow with lilo. It takes a few minutes to try to boot.

Code:
# lilo -V
LILO version 22.8

During the boot attempt; the result is what we can see on the screenshot even tho i kept the kernel compatible with everything else.

Code:
# lilo -v
LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 19-Feb-2007 and compiled at 13:34:02 on Apr 27 2012

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
Using MENU secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /boot/bzImage-2.6.32.2-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64
Mapping RAM disk /initrd-iscsi.img
Warning: The initial RAM disk is too big to fit between the kernel and
   the 15M-16M memory hole.  It will be loaded in the highest memory as
   though the configuration file specified "large-memory" and it will
   be assumed that the BIOS supports memory moves above 16M.
Added linux ? *

Writing boot sector.
/boot/boot.0800 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.
One warning was issued.

fstab:

Code:
/dev/sda1   /   ext3   errors=remount-ro,noatime,nodiratime   0   1
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults             0 0
sysfs                   /sys            sysfs           defaults             0 0
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
/dev/uba none swap sw 0 0

fdisk:

Code:
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        4096    40962048    20478976+  83  Linux

Services active:

Code:
# rc-update       
             bootmisc | boot                                         
          consolefont | boot                                         
                devfs |                                        sysinit
                dmesg |                                        sysinit
             hostname | boot                                         
              hwclock | boot                                         
              keymaps | boot                                         
            killprocs |                        shutdown               
                local |      default nonetwork                       
           localmount | boot                                         
              modules | boot                                         
             mount-ro |                        shutdown               
                 mtab | boot                                         
             net.eth0 |      default                                 
           net.eth0:0 |      default                                 
             net.eth1 |      default                                 
               net.lo | boot                                         
             netmount |      default                                 
               procfs | boot                                         
                 root | boot                                         
            savecache |                        shutdown               
                 sshd |      default                                 
                 swap | boot                                         
               sysctl | boot                                         
         termencoding | boot                                         
                 udev |                                        sysinit
       udev-postmount |      default                                 
              urandom | boot                                         
           vixie-cron |      default                                 
             watchdog |      default                                 
               xinetd |      default   

Any ideas that don't involve a hammer or machine gun ?

Jeffrey0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does iSCSI come into the picture for your setup? Do you even need it to boot? Everything I see points to /dev/sda being a simple virtual disk device that you set up a bootloader on with lilo. If that's the case, I suggest removing their initrd; it seems to be set up for a setup where you have the root filesystem on iSCSI and it doesn't seem to be working right for that case (note how udhcpd doesn't only fail to get an IP, it fails at seeing the interface entirely). Just booting with a simple root=/dev/sda1 commandline and no initrd should at least get vKVM working and it's much easier to debug any remaining issues from there on out.

The error you get in the screenshot makes only a little sense to me. It could be something similar to last year's stage3 issues, but at the same time, it doesn't seem to be mounting anything and pivot_root should never fail with something like that. Having the initrd's init script would help a lot in debugging the initrd if you can't remove it.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey0 wrote:
It could be something similar to last year's stage3 issues, but at the
same time, it doesn't seem to be mounting anything and pivot_root should never fail with something like that. Having the initrd's init script would help a lot in debugging the initrd if you can't remove it.

I checked that link and proceeded with appropriate action. Here goes some info:

dev # ls *zero* *null* *console* -lah
Code:
crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Apr 27 21:15 console
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Apr 27  2012 null
prw-r----- 1 root adm     0 Apr 27 21:17 xconsole
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Apr 27  2012 zero

(chroot) rescue dev # rm -rf console null zero
Code:
(chroot) rescue dev # mknod --mode=600 console c 5 1
(chroot) rescue dev # mknod --mode=666 null c 1 3
(chroot) rescue dev # mknod --mode=666 zero c 1 5

(chroot) rescue dev # ls *zero* *null* *console* -lah

Code:
crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Apr 27 21:20 console
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Apr 27 21:21 null
prw-r----- 1 root adm     0 Apr 27 21:20 xconsole
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 Apr 27 21:21 zero

(chroot) rescue dev # ls -l ../etc/runlevels/sysinit
total 0
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 26 16:48 devfs -> /etc/init.d/devfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 26 16:48 dmesg -> /etc/init.d/dmesg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Apr 26 16:48 udev -> /etc/init.d/udev

I also checked for broken init script links:
Code:
/etc/runlevels/boot:
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Apr 27 21:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4.0K Apr 26 16:48 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 26 16:48 bootmisc ->
/etc/init.d/bootmisc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   23 Apr 25 06:17 consolefont ->
/etc/init.d/consolefont
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Apr 27 21:22 dmesg -> /etc/init.d/dmesg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Apr 25 06:17 domainname ->
/etc/init.d/domainname
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 26 16:48 hostname ->
/etc/init.d/hostname
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   19 Apr 26 16:48 hwclock -> /etc/init.d/hwclock
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   19 Apr 26 16:48 keymaps -> /etc/init.d/keymaps
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Apr 26 16:48 localmount ->
/etc/init.d/localmount
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   19 Apr 26 16:48 modules -> /etc/init.d/modules
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Apr 26 16:48 mtab -> /etc/init.d/mtab
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 Apr 26 16:48 net.lo -> /etc/init.d/net.lo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 Apr 26 16:48 procfs -> /etc/init.d/procfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Apr 26 16:48 root -> /etc/init.d/root
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Apr 26 16:48 swap -> /etc/init.d/swap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 Apr 26 16:48 sysctl -> /etc/init.d/sysctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   24 Apr 26 16:48 termencoding ->
/etc/init.d/termencoding
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   19 Apr 26 16:48 urandom -> /etc/init.d/urandom
/etc/runlevels/default:
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Apr 27 18:40 .
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 Apr 25 06:17 apache -> /etc/init.d/apache
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Apr 26 16:48 local -> /etc/init.d/local
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 26 17:02 net.eth0 ->
/etc/init.d/net.eth0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Apr 26 17:46 net.eth0:0 ->
/etc/init.d/net.eth0:0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 27 18:01 net.eth1 ->
/etc/init.d/net.eth1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 26 16:48 netmount ->
/etc/init.d/netmount
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 25 06:17 open-iscsi ->
../init.d/open-iscsi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Apr 25 06:17 sshd -> /etc/init.d/sshd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Apr 25 06:17 syslog-ng ->
/etc/init.d/syslog-ng
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   26 Apr 26 16:48 udev-postmount ->
/etc/init.d/udev-postmount
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   22 Apr 25 06:17 vixie-cron ->
/etc/init.d/vixie-cron
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 25 06:17 watchdog ->
/etc/init.d/watchdog
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 Apr 27 18:40 xinetd -> /etc/init.d/xinetd

/etc/runlevels/nonetwork:
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Feb  9  2006 .
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Apr 25 06:17 local -> /etc/init.d/local

/etc/runlevels/shutdown:
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Apr 26 16:48 .
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Apr 26 16:48 killprocs ->
/etc/init.d/killprocs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Apr 26 16:48 mount-ro ->
/etc/init.d/mount-ro
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Apr 26 16:48 savecache ->
/etc/init.d/savecache
/etc/runlevels/sysinit:
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Apr 27 21:27 .
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Apr 26 16:48 devfs -> /etc/init.d/devfs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Apr 26 16:48 dmesg -> /etc/init.d/dmesg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Apr 26 16:48 udev -> /etc/init.d/udev

And found out a couple missing things. One of them was:

Code:
* sys-block/open-iscsi
     Available versions:  ~2.0.870.3-r1 ~2.0.871 2.0.871-r1 2.0.871.3
~2.0.872 ~2.0.872-r1 {debug kernel_linux modules slp utils}
     Homepage:            http://www.open-iscsi.org/
     Description:         Open-iSCSI is a high performance, transport
independent, multi-platform implementation of RFC3720

Found 2 matches.

(chroot) rescue / # emerge -av sys-block/open-iscsi

Code:

[ebuild  N     ] sys-block/open-iscsi-2.0.871.3  USE="-debug" 324 kB

I installed it but on the next boot; it still failed and got these messages:

Code:
 * SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS needs to be built as module (builtin doesn't work)
 * ISCSI_TCP needs to be built as module (builtin doesn't work)

This transcendences me.

init.d scripts available:

Code:
apache2      dhcpd         gpm       iscsid      mdadm     net.eth0    network     procfs     reboot.sh    sshd         swclock       udev              vixie-cron
bootmisc     dhcrelay      halt.sh   keymaps     mdraid    net.eth0:0  nscd        pydoc-2.5  root         staticroute  sysctl        udev-dev-tarball  watchdog
consolefont  dmesg         hdparm    killprocs   modules   net.eth1    numlock     pydoc-2.7  rsyncd       stunnel      sysfs         udev-mount        webmin
crypto-loop  fsck          hostname  local       mount-ro  net.lo      open-iscsi  pydoc-3.2  savecache    svscan       termencoding  udev-postmount    xinetd
devfs        functions.sh  hwclock   localmount  mtab      netmount    pciparm     qmail      shutdown.sh  swap         tor           urandom

I never used initrd-iscsi.img or related scripts. What exactly should i be looking for ?

I am also having another problem compiling some dependencies which they all some to lead to one package. dev-libs/glib which i cannot install from source of binary due to:

Code:
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... /usr/bin/pkg-config: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
no
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... perl
checking for indent... no
checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
checking for iconv_open... yes
checking whether to cache iconv descriptors... no
checking for ZLIB... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for inflate in -lz... yes
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for LIBFFI... no
configure: error: in `/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBFFI_CFLAGS
and LIBFFI_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3/config.log
 * ERROR: dev-libs/glib-2.30.3 failed (configure phase):
 *   econf failed
 * Call stack:
 *          ebuild.sh, line   85:  Called src_configure
 *        environment, line 5851:  Called econf '--disable-xattr' '--disable-man' '--disable-gtk-doc' '--disable-fam' '--disable-selinux' '--enable-static' '--disable-dtrace' '--disable-systemtap' '--enable-regex' '--with-pcre=internal' '--with-threads=posix'
 *   phase-helpers.sh, line  467:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *            die "econf failed"
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =dev-libs/glib-2.30.3',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =dev-libs/glib-2.30.3'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/dev-libs:glib-2.30.3:20120428-001240.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.30.3/work/glib-2.30.3'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-libs/glib-2.30.3, Log file:

kimmie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeXILeD,

I admire your style, stuck in the black sea on a rotten, sinking VPS battling monster sharks, night bats and scabies. I can only hope you eventually get the girl.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Kimmie
At least now i can see land. The last question is if those natives are friendly or cannibals.

Another error that i was having which prevented the update od some packages and dependencies is now solved too.
pkg config The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-896624-highlight-.html

I have the whole install upgraded after doing emerge -e world and -e system while i keep udev compatible with the kernel and openrc.
ovh.net supplies their own flavour of useless custom kernels which i have not been able to to make work so far no matter what i download to the box and add to the bootloader i never see that kernel active for boot options.
I do however see other kernels on those boot options that do not exist in the box anywhere. (how is the company staying in business is beyond human understanding)

Their vKVMV options none works. Some present me a kernel that is not anywhere. Others boot a 32 bit kernel for a 64 bit install; Another boots the kernel if the hard drive is hda1 and not sda1 but fails to work with it.. and so on. vKVM option seems useless.
Their also have a boot from HD option that does nothing when active but their documentation says it works. (it does not. at max it allows to ping the box - nothing else happens from that boot option - no sshd, no access, nothing).

This now takes me to the initrd situation and maybe i am being a bit radical about what i am going to say but in all these years i have custom built many gentoos i never had the need of using that miserable option; specially on a server.

http://wiki.openvz.org/Modifying_initrd_image

dumbass stupid mofo wrote:
Why initrd image is necessary

Suppose your root partition resides on some SCSI device and driver for this SCSI devices is compiled as a kernel module. Of course this module is required at boot time to have access to the root partion — but it is not in the kernel. Thus the need for an initrd image.
Additionally after udev subsystem become common, somebody has to start udev to create device nodes. This is initrd's duty too.

I confess that i don't know much about this initrd useless method but i always used my SCSI drivers built-in and everything always worked. Why complicate things on a server ? To get fisted ? Stupidity on boring setups ?

Anyway ... i really need help with this one as i confess my ignorant status regarding pre historic setups and mentalities.

I tried to inspect this file: initrd-iscsi.img
Code:
/ # ls
bin  boot  dev  emul  etc  home  initrd-iscsi.img  lib  lib32  lib64  lost+found  mnt  opt  proc  root  sbin  service  sys  tmp  usr  var

According to this wiki the error message is very similar to mine and i tried to extract it to see the init script.

Code:
 # gzip -dc initrd-iscsi.img | cpio -id

gzip: initrd-iscsi.img: not in gzip format
cpio: premature end of archive

I googled for more ways to do the extraction and they all failed. I also tried mkinitrd but it seem,s to have vanished from usage.

Code:
# gunzip < initrd-iscsi.img | cpio -i --make-directories

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
cpio: premature end of archive

How do i extract this thing ?

As for lilo:
Code:
# cat /etc/lilo.conf
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
lba32
#serial=0,9600n8

image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.32.2-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/ram0
        initrd=/initrd-iscsi.img
        append="libusual.bias=ub"

I did try to boot once without initrd=/initrd-iscsi.img and the result was the same as always.
If i cannot extract it how can i create a new one ?

Jeffrey0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, your device nodes and everything look correct, not that surprising but good to get it out of the way.

Try changing your lilo image section to something like this:
Code:
image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.32.2-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1
Basically, remove the initrd and set the root option to boot from local disk. Remember to re-run lilo every time you change the config file; lilo isn't quite as modern as grub and the config file is read at install time, not at runtime.

If you actually need iscsi (I'm still not sure how that fits into your setup), worry about that later; get something bootable first.

As for extracting the initrd, just run `file initrd-iscsi.img` and see what it really is. It's probably compressed with bzip2 instead of gzip, but it might also be uncompressed. But you REALLY shouldn't extract it in your root directory; copy it somewhere else and extract it there. You might end up overwriting parts of your install with some broken crap from their initrd and that's never a good thing.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried changing those details before with debian and i had no luck.
I now ditched lilo and went for grub which gave me better news after a few fails but at least initrd misery is gone.

I can confirm over vKVM crap that grub gets loaded and boots the machine.
I was told by OVH tiny microsoft mind support that i could not use my kernel and that they supply the kernel but i did a couple tests.

First test downloaded vanilla sources and just made a kernel to see if it actually was used. I renamed it to look like the crap they provide and it turns out it was loaded but with lots of errors.

For the second try; i used one of their kernels and the error i got helps understanding lilo's error too.

Code:

ROOT-NFS: No nfs server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount rootfs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

That lead me to: [SOLVED] Boot error: No NFS server available

Then i checked their kernels such as the 3.2-config-xxxx-std-ipv6-64.

Code:
CONFIG_NETWORK_FILESYSTEMS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
# CONFIG_NFS_V4_1 is not set
CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y
# CONFIG_NFS_USE_LEGACY_DNS is not set
CONFIG_NFS_USE_KERNEL_DNS=y
# CONFIG_NFS_USE_NEW_IDMAPPER is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD is not set
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y

Why is this needed like this by default ? Anyone has an acceptable answer?

Now i am going to try to recompile a kernel without this and see if i can actually use my own kernel or not.

If there is any bootloader parameter that prevents the attempt of mounting root fs over the network, it would be great to use it to see if the problem gets solved.

Please correct me if i am wrong. All suggestions are welcome.

HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here it goes... kimmie...
I got to land; killed the cannibals ... and got girl.

But before that

I tried a fast compiled generic kernel compiled: failed
I tried one their 2.6 kernels and booted it with grub: failed
Tried to recompile that kernel without NFS support: failed
Fetched one of their 3.2 kernels, renamed to a 2.6 kernel that they allow me to boot from (select menu) the machine menu "name" options.

Then i basically fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up, fast forward a crappy movie went on irc and saw that an eggdrop that i had left on the box ready to connect to irc in case the box was up; WAS UP.

The install is up and running, i was able to connect by telnet (backup login) since sshd was down. Now i am going for the gold.

Persistency; consistency and in this case 2 middle fingers to ovh.net for giving their clients 2007 operating systems installations in 2012. (now that is service excellency!!)

Edit/update:1/05/2012
This box is now at community service as a binhost @ Portage Binhost, Rsync & distcc (Public for netbooks) (100mbit)

[SOLVED]

Last edited by HeXiLeD on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
kimmie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O NOOO, don't kill the cannibals, they're SO CUTE... anyway, sounds like you didn't really kill them, you just updated their asses into 2012. Congrats! I never would have persisted with that update... once I got stuck in Xen hell with a VPS provider who couldn't understand why my domU kernel needed to be able to see domU kernel modules in the domU filesystem; I just gave up and found me a new girl.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeXiLeD, I admire your patience and determination, really. Your reward is probably to now be able to open and maintain yourself a global hosting service and yet provide a much better support than these ass-holes.

I have just noticed one question about the need for an initrd in all of these years of Gentoo and that you weren't feeling comfortable with it. In fact I'd say the only one case Gentoo needs an initrd (on a headless server, basically) is when the root file system doesn't reside on a partition on the local disk, e.g. on LVM, on NFS or iSCSI. I haven't experimented the latter two however, only LVM.

Reading your posts I also learnt how to boot from NFS. So you might find this explanation interesting. As far as I have understood, booting from NFS is not automatic unless there's a kernel option, nfsroot along with root=/dev/nfs. But maybe these command line options are built into the kernel for I know it's possible with recent kernels.

Well I guess it's a bit late but I just wanted to add my 0.5¢ in case you still want to know.
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank you guys for all the support (specially the guys at #debian when the box had the debian crash before the gentoo install) and as a response to this event i started what i call:

The netbook server project (wiki page) and the topic (gentoo forum).

HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought about updating this topic with the latest that OVH has done to me.
After everything that is described above and finally being able to make the server working; they closed my service 2 weeks ago.

But not only the service was closed.

- I cannot access my account as my user and password are now invalid.
- The service was paid until December 2013. (5 more months)
- They emailed me a receipt that is under another name/user and the account identification is not mine
- They have not reimbursed me for the remaining 5 months

All activity done by the server was legit and within the rules.

This is OVH Web hosting solutions.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: