Frozen Colorado cows may be blown up
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Frozen Colorado cows may be blown up Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17750245

Quote:
A group of stray cows that froze to death in the Colorado mountains must be blown up or set on fire to avoid water contamination, forestry officials say.

The carcasses were discovered near the Conundrum Hot Springs in Aspen by two Air Force Academy cadets in late March.

The cows were found in a ranger cabin where it is thought they wandered during a snowstorm after they were separated from the herd last year.

The plan is to remove the dead animals before they begin to thaw.

US Forest Service spokesman Steve Segin told the BBC: "Obviously, time is of the essence because we don't want them defrosting."

He told the BBC that "negative interactions" with other wildlife were also a concern.

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than the UK solution... grinding them up, mixing the carcasses with feed, and introducing Mad Cow Disease again.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, dynamite will be used?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
So, dynamite will be used?

Seems overkill to me. Just burn them to ash.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government is so stupid. They're probably going to waste $50K getting rid of them.

If they put them on eBay, with the requirement that they must be gone within 1 week, they could probably make a few grand instead.

"5 Holstein Cows (frozen, rock solid) -- $500 each, as-is. You transport; must remove by April 25th."

They'd probably be gone in 2 days flat.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1 - shipping not included.

Burning the corpses & cabin they're in could potentially lead to a forest fire. Far more expensive than it would be worth.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just take them to the tank gunnery range at Fort Carson and let them shoot them with main gun rounds. They'd enjoy it, and the cows would be instantly vaporized (well, you might find a head and some hoofs lying around).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the main problem is the cost of removing them. That's why it's ignore, burn or explode.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Colorado have any motorcycles?
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Or just take them to the tank gunnery range at Fort Carson and let them shoot them with main gun rounds. They'd enjoy it, and the cows would be instantly vaporized (well, you might find a head and some hoofs lying around).

One of the guys I work with was a tank guy in the army. He likes to tell the story about getting in trouble for taking out a cow during a live fire exercise.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local & state police have some. I wouldn't expect many other government agencies to have them.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
One of the guys I work with was a tank guy in the army. He likes to tell the story about getting in trouble for taking out a cow during a live fire exercise.
What kind of trouble? There wasn't enough cooked beef for everybody? He couldn't find another cow, so he used a horse instead and people liked the taste of the horse?
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
richk449 wrote:
What kind of trouble? There wasn't enough cooked beef for everybody? He couldn't find another cow, so he used a horse instead and people liked the taste of the horse?

I know they made him apologize to the farmer. I don't know what else.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

If he actually shot a cow, he would probably have got in an un-funny amount of trouble. Cows are valuable property. If somebody did that, they'd probably end up losing a stripe and about a month's pay, and have great difficulty ever getting promoted again. I personally have never seen domestic livestock on a live fire range.

I was present when somebody shot a mule deer, though, on a proofing range, which is a special range where you're just zeroing your weapon. The fire is infrequent, and there may be almost nobody watching, as little as one senior NCO). I didn't see it, but I went out to look for it and saw what little was left. They claimed it was an accidental. :roll:

I'd be pretty skeptical, unless he said it happened in Iraq. If he's a former NCO, there's about a 90% chance he's full of shit, passing on some story he once heard (that was probably bullshit to begin with).
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
If he actually shot a cow, he would probably have got in an un-funny amount of trouble. Cows are valuable property. If somebody did that, they'd probably end up losing a stripe and about a month's pay, and have great difficulty ever getting promoted again. I personally have never seen domestic livestock on a live fire range.

I was present when somebody shot a mule deer, though, on a proofing range, which is a special range where you're just zeroing your weapon. The fire is infrequent, and there may be almost nobody watching, as little as one senior NCO). I didn't see it, but I went out to look for it and saw what little was left. They claimed it was an accidental. :roll:

I'd be pretty skeptical, unless he said it happened in Iraq. If he's a former NCO, there's about a 90% chance he's full of shit, passing on some story he once heard (that was probably bullshit to begin with).

It may be bullshit - I obviously have no way to verify it. But he is not really a bullshitter*, and the real story does have plenty of detail which I can't remember now.

It allegedly happened at least 15 years ago (I would estimate), in the US. He left the service not long afterward.

He also claimed it was an accident.

I don't know what his rank was, but he went to West Point, so I assume that means he wasn't an NCO?

Out of curiosity - we have tanks in Iraq?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

It may be bullshit - I obviously have no way to verify it. But he is not really a bullshitter*, and the real story does have plenty of detail which I can't remember now.

It allegedly happened at least 15 years ago (I would estimate), in the US. He left the service not long afterward.

He also claimed it was an accident.

I don't know what his rank was, but he went to West Point, so I assume that means he wasn't an NCO?

Out of curiosity - we have tanks in Iraq?

If he graduated from West Point, then he was an officer and one would hope he is not a bullshitter. We had tanks in Iraq; they played a key role in both invasions. During the insurgency, they were used in a couple of sieges and to secure routes. Now Obama has them in Kuwait, so that he can say he pulled our troops "out of Iraq".

Here is an interesting tank battle that happened in Iraq.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting

After that, they mostly jumped out of their tanks and ran away when they saw ours coming, so tanks were used to fire upon infantry entrenched in buildings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: