Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
-march=native: upgrading from an Atom to an i5, possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roman2K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: -march=native: upgrading from an Atom to an i5, possible? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have homemade NAS equipped with an embedded Atom D510 (dual-core 1.66 GHz) running Gentoo like a charm. I started from an amd64 stage3 and, from there, installed every ebuild with -march=native in $CFLAGS.

Now, I'd like to upgrade it to an i5-2400S. But before buying and taking all the components apart (major endeavour in a small mini-ITX case), I'd like to know:

Are all current binaries compatible with both CPUs? Or should I re-emerge system + world with a different -march before swapping the motherboard + CPU?

Thanks in advance!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing much about i5 I'd say you are safe. System files do not depend much on CFLAGS, I had once a successful upgrade from AMD to Intel, it booted up no problem ... had to do emerge -e world to get some user apps working, though. Not to mention the kernel which I prepared for new hardware indeed.
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Core i5 2500k, and it supports

Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor   : 3
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model      : 42
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
stepping   : 7
microcode   : 0x14
cpu MHz      : 1600.000
cache size   : 6144 KB
physical id   : 0
siblings   : 4
core id      : 3
cpu cores   : 4
apicid      : 6
initial apicid   : 6
fpu      : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level   : 13
wp      : yes
flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips   : 6587.41
clflush size   : 64
cache_alignment   : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

You should be able to diff the flags list with what you get on your Atom box and see if anything is missing. I very much doubt it will, Intel is usually pretty good about backwards compatibility. Of course, removing "march=native" and running an "emerge -e @system" can't hurt (I recently switched from a Phenom to the i5 and it was necessary then) and shouldn't take too long -- that way at least you'll know you'll end up with a working toolchain. You'll also want to make sure your kernel is OK (ie, has all your drivers), but that should be pretty straight-forward.
Roman2K
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies. Very much appreciated! If I go through with the upgrade (still evaluating several options), I'll "emerge -e @system" (at least) and adjust the kernel configuration, and keep you posted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: