I am having problems with my (AMD) audio card .. [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cravengemetzel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: I am having problems with my (AMD) audio card .. [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Upon "startx," it gives off a persistent screeching garbled noise that does not stop unless I mute the master channel in alsamixer .

Code:
"lspci -v | grep -i audio" gives:
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)

I edited /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and changed references to "card" from 0 to 1 . (This I had to do in Arch Linux in order to get my soundcard working .)
I just recompiled a bunch of things with the "pulseaudio" USE flag, and I am about to reboot and see if it helped or not .

I am at a loss . Please help me .

*EDIT*

Recompiling with the "pulseaudio" USE flag did not help, however, underneath the garbled screeching noise I can hear the appropriate sounds .
ie. Upon "startx" I can hear the KDE login sound in addition to the overwhelming garbled screeching noise, and I can play a YouTube video and hear the music in addition to the overwhelming garbled screeching noise .

So the problem amounts to disabling this garbled screeching noise .

Also, in alsamixer, I only have the "Master, Beep and BaseFRQ" channels .

Last edited by cravengemetzel on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cravengemetzel,

I think both these cards need snd-hda-intel. Please confirm that, and if so be sure that snd-hda-intel is built as a kernel module, as we probably need to pass it some module paramaters when iy loads.
Its easier to play with module parameters when your target is made as a loadable module, rather than built in.

You clearly have two sould cards, The first (default) one
Code:
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
is the sound card on your video card. It is HDMI output only and will only have a on/off control. It only works with the ati-drivers or the 3.3-rc kernel series.

The second one, the one on your motherboard
Code:
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
is probably the one you wish to use and you wish was the defualt card if you use the ati-drivers package.

Please use wgetpaste to put your dmesg output on a pastebin and post where it is.
Sight of your
Code:
ls -l /dev/snd
and
Code:
lspci -k output
would be good too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cravengemetzel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,

I do not run an Intel computer . All parts of my computer are AMD, so I do not know why Intel modules would need to be loaded . Furthermore, I do not know where the snd-hda-intel module is located in the kernel menuconfig . I have looked for it before .

The output of "dmesg" :
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/566221/

The output of "ls -l /dev/snd" :
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/566216/

The output of "lspci -k output" :
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/566219/
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cravengemetzel,

You actually have four sound cards as shown by
Code:
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  6 Mar 15 09:09 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  8 Mar 15 09:09 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 11 Mar 15 09:09 controlC2
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 15 Mar 15 09:09 controlC3
Thats the two you have already shown and two more, possibly USB ?

Your lspci -k did not work because the version of lspci you have does not understand the -k option.-
- edit -
I did not intend you to type "lspci -k output". I intended you to use the command
Code:
lspci -k
and post the output from the command. Sorry for the confusion

In your gentoo, do
Code:
emerge pciutils
and post the lspci output again.
If your other sound cards are USB based, please post the output of lsusb. If you don't have that,
Code:
emerge usbutils

We need to get your sound cards into some sort of order, so they don't randomly move around.
From your ls -l/dev/snd, we can tell that sound card 0 is your on board sound card because it has lots of devices. cards 1 and 2 each have a single playback device and card 3 has onle playback and one capture device (a sub headset perhaps?)

Using the snd-hda-intel kernel module does not imply that your PC hardware was made by Intel, only that parts of it follow a specification published by Intel.
I was expecting to see somethng like
Code:
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8357
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
   Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
in your lspci. My PC is also AMD based.

Go into all your sound cards with alsamixer and mute everything except the card your speakers are connected to.
Use
Code:
alsamixer -c0
to see the controls on your first sound card, then
Code:
alsamixer -c1
and so on. If muting something helps, we have learned somethings about the problem.

When you look at the controls, your on board sound card should show something like
Code:
 ┌─────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.25 ───────────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA ATI SB                        F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: VIA VT1708S                       F2:  System information │
│ View: Playback                          F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: Master [dB gain: 0.00]            Esc: Exit               │
│   ┌──┐              ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐    │
│   │▒▒│              │  │     │▒▒│     │  │     │  │     │▒▒│    │
│   │▒▒│              │  │     │▒▒│     │  │     │  │     │▒▒│    >
│   │▒▒│              │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │  │     │  │     │▒▒│    >
│   │▒▒│              │▒▒│     │▒▒│     │  │     │▒▒│     │▒▒│    │
│   ├──┤     ┌──┐     ├──┤     ├──┤     ├──┤     └──┘     ├──┤    │
│   │OO│     │OO│     │OO│     │OO│     │MM│              │OO│    │
│   └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     └──┘              └──┘    │
│   100              65<>65  100<>100   0<>0    21<>21  100<>100  │
│< Master >Headphon   PCM     Front   Front Mi Front Mi Surround  │
└─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
I have the same sound card as you but may have a different codec.
The card is shown in the top left Card: HDA ATI SB a and the codec is shown as Chip: VIA VT1708S. What do you have ?
How did you compile your kernel ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Kaso_da_Zmok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearing scrambled sounds means you have the module loaded.
the hudson chipset is sort of new and might have some childish problems.
here is my blind shot:
try un-muting the rear mic and setting the level to 00.
if that does no help go trough all switches and sliders in alsamixer
cravengemetzel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops . I should have guessed that "output" should not have been in there . xD
Here is the correct "lspci -k" :
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/566315/

I already have pciutils installed, as well as usbutils, but none of my speakers are usb-based, as you can see here :

Code:
# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 5986:02ac Acer, Inc
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a5c:21b4 Broadcom Corp. BCM2070 Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 138a:0018 Validity Sensors, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Transcend JetFlash Flash Drive

Code:
# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek [Mobility Radeon HD 6620G]
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB XHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:10.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB XHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SMBus Controller (rev 13)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson IDE Controller (rev 40)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler [AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
04:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5116 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

"alsamixer -c0" yields "this device does not have any controls" .

"alsamixer -c1" yields the usual alsamixer interface, to which the three interfaces are "Master, Beep, and BaseFRQ" .
Note that "Beep, and BaseFRQ" do not have any volume control . Though "Beep" has the "00" green square .
This means that I do not have "Headphone, PCM, Front, Front Mic, or Surround" .

"alsamixer -c2" yields the interface "S/PDIF," which also has the "00" green square .

Oh my .. "alsamixer -c3" yielded the interface that I was to expect, complete with "Master, Speaker, Speaker 1, PCM, and Front Mic Jack Mode" !!
This is a huge step toward getting my soundcard to work properly .

And anything above "-c3" yields an invalid index .

Here are some (very) rough pastes of the four alsamixer interfaces I mentionned .

Code:
"alsamixer -c0" :

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.25 ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: Loopback                                                                                                                                                       F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Loopback Mixer                                                                                                                                                 F2:  System information │
│ View: F3: Playback  F4: Capture  F5: All                                                                                                                             F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item:                                                                                                                                                                Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                                                                                                                                              │
│                                                                                                                                                                                              │
│                                                                        This sound device does not have any controls.                                                                         │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

Code:
"alsamixer -c1" :

┌───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.25 ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: pcsp                                                                                                                                                           F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: PC-Speaker                                                                                                                                                     F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                                                                                                                             F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: Master [dB gain: 18.05, 18.05]                                                                                                                                 Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                                    ┌──┐                                                                                                      │
│                                                                                    │▒▒│                                                                                                      │
│                                                                                    │▒▒│                                                                                                      │
│                                                                                    ├──┤     ┌──┐    18643                                                                                    │
│                                                                                    │MM│     │OO│                                                                                             │
│                                                                                    └──┘     └──┘                                                                                             │
│                                                                                  100<>100                                                                                                    │
│                                                                                 < Master >  Beep   BaseFRQ                                                                                   │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

Code:
"alsamixer -c2" :

│ Card: HD-Audio Generic                                                                                                                                               F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: ATI R6xx HDMI                                                                                                                                                  F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                                                                                                                             F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: S/PDIF                                                                                                                                                         Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                                             ┌──┐                                                                                             │
│                                                                                             │OO│                                                                                             │
│                                                                                             └──┘                                                                                             │
│                                                                                          < S/PDIF >                                                                                          │

Code:
And finally, "alsamixer -c3" :

│ Card: HD-Audio Generic                                                                                                                                               F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: IDT 92HD81B1X5                                                                                                                                                 F2:  System information │
│ Item: Master [dB gain: -36.00]                                                                                                                                       Esc: Exit               │
│                                                   ┌──┐                 ┌──┐                 ┌──┐                 ┌──┐                                                                        │
│                                                   │  │                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                                                                        │
│                                                   │  │                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                                                                        │
│                                                   │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                                                                        │
│                                                   │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                 │▒▒│                                                                        │
│                                                   ├──┤                 ├──┤                 ├──┤                 └──┘                Mic In                                                  │
│                                                   │OO│                 │OO│                 │MM│                                                                                             │
│                                                   └──┘                 └──┘                 └──┘                                                                                             │
│                                                    25                100<>100             100<>100              99<>99                                                                       │
│                                          <       Master       >      Speaker             Speaker 1               PCM          Front Mic Jack Mode                                            │
cravengemetzel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed the references to "card" in /etc/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf to the value of "3" .

Everything now seems to work as it should .

Marking this thread as solved, for now . :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: