Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
kernel won't boot after changes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
durwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

My kernel was fully functional over the last month. Had many rebuilds, all OK. Yesterday, decided to add support for video. Now that kernel won't boot, just uncompreses and curser stops. I've tryed many more rebuilds and even replaced my .config and re-emerged gentoo-sources, just incase, no good. No error messages.
My "backup" kernel is fine (three setup in Grub)

Gentoo 1.2, all ebuilds current.

Durwood
Durwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Works now Reply with quote

I found that if I select Athlon as CPU (mine is 1800+) and NO SMP, my kernel will not boot, stalls after uncompressess.
If I select Athlon and YES SMP, boots OK
If I select Pentum III and NO SMP, boots ok

Bug ??

Durwood
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem Reply with quote

durwood wrote:
My kernel was fully functional over the last month. Had many rebuilds, all OK. Yesterday, decided to add support for video. Now that kernel won't boot, just uncompreses and curser stops. I've tryed many more rebuilds and even replaced my .config and re-emerged gentoo-sources, just incase, no good. No error messages.
My "backup" kernel is fine (three setup in Grub)

Gentoo 1.2, all ebuilds current.

Durwood

You could use the install CD and remove the problematic kernel driver. You will have to chroot into your gentoo system to do this, but if you installed gentoo, you could problbably do the same.
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Works now Reply with quote

Durwood wrote:
I found that if I select Athlon as CPU (mine is 1800+) and NO SMP, my kernel will not boot, stalls after uncompressess.

Bug ??

Durwood

I have the same processor as you, and mine works fine with smp disabled. I'm using the latest gentoo sources.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Works now Reply with quote

Durwood wrote:

First thing to note is that when you change something as drastic as SMP, make sure that everything is cleared out with something like:
Code:
$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ cp .config ~/
$ make mrproper
$ cp ~/.config ./

...before you start the recompilation process. The next thing to try is vanilla kernel sources, if you're using something else currently.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: