usb mouse and keyboard freeze after login
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maheed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: usb mouse and keyboard freeze after login Reply with quote

Though working fine before, the usb keyboard and usb mouse stop responding after the desktop appears. No new installation was done and no update was performed. Both devices work fine at the login screen. I logged in as root, created a new user and both devices are working fine for the new user. However for the old user, they stop responding soon after the login. Any idea, where and what is wrong?
ycUygB1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How interesting. One has to conclude that it has something to do with the user settings, and that the problem is confined to the user's home directory.

You might try copying the important files to another place (such as /root/olduser) then deleting the contents of the home directory and re-creating it. Then copy back the important files. The point is to get rid of the hidden user files such as .gnome* and so on.

Would be my first shot. Nothing to lose, since the user can't do anything anyway. I'm guessing it is the keyboard setting, or maybe .Xdefaults.

Blow them away, use system defaults like the new user.
maheed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Harold for quick response. I have noticed that it happens when the system goes in sleep mode when there is not activity for sometime. It does not wake up if I move the mouse or press any key. I need to push the power button. This wakes the system up but at that time usb mouse and keyboard do not work...even with the new user I just created. I guess, after some iterations, mouse and keyboard will stop working permanently.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they start working again when you unplug and replug them?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: