English Interface with Chinese input
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Languages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: English Interface with Chinese input Reply with quote

I need help!
I want to have english interface on my X with capability to input and display chinese. for example, I want my gnomeicu to have chinese interface while I can type chinese message to others. I have tried playing around with LANG and LC_ALL, it does not work. either I cannot input chinese at all, or all menu items and message display in Chinese. Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

-- llam
llam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading some previous post, I got it halfly working:

originally, I started the chinese input (scim) with LANG="zh_TW.Big5" so any programs needs to be chinese input supported required LANG="zh_TW.Big5" as well. Most programs will display everything in Chinese with this.

now, instead of using LANG, I put LC_CTYPE="zh_TW.Big5". so any program need to be chinese input supported, LC_CTYPE="zh_TW.Big5" will do, and it won't change all the interface into chinese.

however, it only works to programs like mozilla. for gtk programs (ie gnomeicu), they are still not working. I need to put in LANG="zh_TW.Big5" in order for it to support chinese input. Again, it display all menu in Chinese.

Anyone have any idea why? Thanks!!
newyorker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try setting lang and lc_ctype to chinese but set all others in english that will give you english interface.
satimis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: English Interface with Chinese input Reply with quote

llam wrote:
I need help!
I want to have english interface on my X with capability to input and display chinese. for example, I want my gnomeicu to have chinese interface while I can type chinese message to others. I have tried playing around with LANG and LC_ALL, it does not work. either I cannot input chinese at all, or all menu items and message display in Chinese. Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

-- llam

Hi,

It is my pleasure to drop into this forum. I am searching around for how to input Chinese on English Gentoo 1.4. Could you please shed me some light from where to start.

Thanks in advance.

B.R.
satimis
cwng
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I need help!

-- llam

I have tried the following which I managed to have English interface with the ability to enter Chinese in Gtk application:

Code:

emerge fcitx

and I placed the following export statements in my .bashrc:

Code:

export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN
export XMODIFIER=S"@im=fcitx"
export XIM=fcitx
export XIM_PROGRAM=fcitx
dazjw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the above I too am able to get chinese input in applications with an english interface and great it is

however the font for the english interface is changed, in a bad way, by this. any way around this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Languages All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: