Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
async-emerge. building binary packages with dependencies.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexdu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: async-emerge. building binary packages with dependencies. Reply with quote

Hello.

I wrote a 'yet another' set of scripts for easier Gentoo update.

This is bash scripts, using AUFS for building binary packages with all needed dependencies. Also it does a lot of typical system care operations, like 'depclean', 'revdep'/'@preserved' and others.

This is experimental. But for me it works nice.

It was called 'async-emerge'. Async means it includes two parts: one part builds binary packages for update (by cron) and another part install these binaries to your Gentoo system. And those parts are really asynchronous, so 'binary updates' could be "summarized" and stored on disk unless you decided it's a time to update the system. Async doesn't mean you lost 'rolling updates' nature of Gentoo. No, your Gentoo will still a continuously updated linux.

This is the project site: http://code.google.com/p/async-emerge/. Please post your bugs reports there.

I'll be glad to read any feedbacks.

Alex.

PS
It saves about 90% of human (Gentoo's admin) time. Machines overhead is about 15-20% (I didn't measure it, it's just an estimation).
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Thank you for sharing it.

Something like this could be very useful, particularly with a group of similar machines sharing a binary repository.
alexdu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Nice work. Thank you for sharing it.
Thank you.

BoneKracker wrote:
Something like this could be very useful, particularly with a group of similar machines sharing a binary repository.
It could be useful not only and probably not mainly for 'stage4' tasks. Making binary packages is more a method for safety rather then a way to share binaries. It was not hard to copy all changed FS objects from the virtual environment to the real system, but it a) not gives a noticeable speed up b) safer, because the actual state of the system could change since the last "update" in the virtual environment, and PM packages manager solves it almost perfectly and almost guarantees system consistency.

This scripts could be addressed virtually for everybody:
- to someone who wants to known in advance, before the system update started, if it will successful or not with 99% of possibility
- to someone who wants to reduce the time needed for Gentoo update for 10 times (90% of Gentoo update is just routine that someone shouldn't wait for)
- to someone who is lazy and don't want to run all this python/perl- updates after an update...

At least that's the idea...

I added some screenshots to the site that could make sense what it does and what - doesn't. http://code.google.com/p/async-emerge/wiki/AEScreenShots
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: