[SOLVED] KDE3: Missing hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE3: Missing hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2 Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm looking for the file hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2, needed to reinstall hal for an old KDE3. Unfortunately this had been cleaned from my distfiles, and Samuli Suominen seems to have (more or less recently) deleted the folder where it is supposed to be downloaded from. Anyone has it cached still and can make it available or mail it to me? Many thanks in advance!
BTW, for the kde-sunset maintainers, wouldn't it make sense to include it into the overlay?

Last edited by MurphyG on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Workaround Reply with quote

Here's a clumsy but usable workaround. However I'd still prefer to use the more current gentoo-patches-5...
  • I found hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-4.tar.bz2 here: http://ftp.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/librix/repository/amd64/unstable/current/distfiles/
  • Copied the patch tarball to my distfiles dir (and made a backup in my install file archive, too).
  • Copied the complete hal ebuild dir from the layman repo to my local portage repo (/usr/local/portage/sys-apps/).
  • Renamed the ebuild from -r4 to -r3 and changed PATCH_VERSION from 5 to 4.
  • Created a new manifest for the ebuild.
  • Masked -r4.
  • Emerged hal; the build stops because probe-video4linux.c can't find videodev.h.
  • Removed the probe-video4linux target in /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/hal-0.5.14-r3/work/hal-0.5.14/hald/linux/probing/Makefile.am (and Makefile.in, too, though I'm not sure this is necessary). If you want things to be watertight this would make a new patch...
  • Restarted ebuild with the commands "configure compile install qmerge"; voila, hal is installed.
  • Now re-emerge the remaining packages if necessary (esp. kdebase-kioslaves) and restart the system.
MageSlayer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap. The same story here.
I also still use KDE3.

I used following (Russian) ftp/rsync search engine link:
http://proisk.ru/?q=hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2&order=time

Every ftp link died, but a lot of rsync links are still alive.
I used following command to download those patches:
Code:
rsync rsync://ftp.optilink.ru/gentoo/gentoo-distfiles/distfiles/hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2 hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2

For convenience, I uploaded this file to:
http://turboupload.com/zo0w4ode6jri
http://narod.ru/disk/36525679001/hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2.html
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Excellent, worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for your help!
The largest part of my problem was that I didn't know a proper file search engine; RPM Search and Google weren't of much help (they found mainly the Manifest file of -r4), Bing even less. Bookmarked.
anest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Workaround Reply with quote

MurphyG wrote:
Restarted ebuild with the commands "configure compile install qmerge"; voila, hal is installed.

I stuck here :(
Code:
laptop hal # configure compile install qmerge
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/grc", line 117, in <module>
    os.execvp(args[0], args)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/os.py", line 344, in execvp
    _execvpe(file, args)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/os.py", line 368, in _execvpe
    func(file, *argrest)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
laptop hal #

MurphyG, can you provide exact instruction step-by-step for console please? I'm sure some people will need it later too.... Thanks!
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Workaround Reply with quote

anest wrote:
MurphyG, can you provide exact instruction step-by-step for console please? I'm sure some people will need it later too.... Thanks!

Sorry, I can't help you - I neither have grc installed here, nor do I own a x64 system. Whatever the problem with your system is, you better try MageSlayers more adequate solution.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patchset 5 is exactly same as Patchset 4 except the Patchset 5 has the videodev.h fix, and you can get it from here:

https://github.com/dang/hal-patches/blob/master/patches/0011-hal-0.5.14-no-more-videodev_h.patch
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Workaround Reply with quote

MurphyG wrote:
anest wrote:

Sorry, I can't help you - I neither have grc installed here, nor do I own a x64 system. Whatever the problem with your system is, you better try MageSlayers more adequate solution.

i removed the hal from my laptop tecra M2.it is x86 machine
everyone said xfce4 works without hal but its power manager still wants it.
i too run kde3 now without hal.
will you please help installing hal
how to manage the dependancy problems.
i too need step by step instructions.
thanks for any help if you will :)
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Workaround Reply with quote

padoor wrote:

everyone said xfce4 works without hal but its power manager still wants it.

Not true, it doesn't even support HAL anymore let alone depend on it.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could not get any reply for the power-manager hal problems in the xfce forums also.
untill i unmerged hal it was working fine. i am almost sure that is the only package that need hal now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: