Gentoo rocks!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Gentoo rocks! Reply with quote

I just posted a support question, but otherwise this is my first post on f.g.o. in years. It's awesome to be back!
When I last used Gentoo, back in '06ish, Gentoo Chat was full of "Goodbye Gentoo" threads. Now I immediately see two or three other "I'm back" threads. Amazing! Things must have improved considerably since I last used this flexible, powerful distro.

Initial thoughts, for those interested:
* back in 05 or so people were talking about graphical installers. I remember VidaLinux from Mexico stirred some excitement for a brief time. Appears all interest in a graphical Gentoo installer has disappeared.
* Arch Linux is serious competition for Gentoo among "I know my command line but refuse to wear a pocket protector"-type geeks. Arch is actually pretty sweet and easy to use if you're familiar with Linux. The big thing that immediately distinguishes Gentoo is not Portage but the documentation and help available; inconsistently maintained wiki pages don't compare to the official Gentoo Handbook.
* Gentoo's major appeal to veterans is you can actually make things work. This might sound crazy to the poor soul trying ot make this sound card squeak. Other distros engineer a product they think you want, so if you want something slightly/significantly different you're screwed. You're screwed with Gentoo, also, but at least you have the tools and openness to figure it out yourself if you really want to.
* What's with all the negative PR? For that matter, where's the positive PR? I'm surprised I haven't seen back-to-back articles about Gentoo hackers putting portage into the Android Market? If it's happening it isn't making /. like it used to. Do you (we?) still get interesting bug reports about users? What happened to funroll-loops and RealOTW?
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome back! :)
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry The Cow knew you would eventually come back...
cryptosteve
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all come back .. :)
nbittech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come back, I just got here (using Gentoo for about three months now), and I don't plan on leaving. Sure beats the AUR or listening to the neighborhood Ubuntu/Mint fanboy. Gentoo is cool to the average geek now, everybody's using it.
invasivenorman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Gentoo forks & Gentoo toasters on sale at Ikea Reply with quote

evilwm & mrxvt & tcsh. Yeah, it's kinda nice when stuff just works.
bigbangnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
Larry The Cow knew you would eventually come back...

speaking of which, I just saw her wife.

ps: hope I wont get in trouble for posting this :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: