How to SEARCH correctly in this forum
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: How to SEARCH correctly in this forum Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a simple question and hope I can get a simple answer.

I'm often trying to search for topics and posts for a specific package which contains special characters "-", "/", "." or numbers. But the search string is shorten automatically by removing special signs and numbers.

When I search for e.g. "linuxtv-dvb-headers" the engine searches for "linuxtvdvbheaders" and don't find related posts like this.

Do I need to use a special syntax to use special characters and numbers in the search string?

Until now I work around this problem by searching with Google.

Regards

Last edited by samo on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The included search sucks, big time, but that's for years now and AFAIK no subject of change in the future. Just use Google with site:forums.gentoo.org or your prefered search engine. If you know some JS, just use GreaseMonkey/UserScript/etc to replace the search field above for convinience.
samo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if this restriction is an issue of the engine framework or of the specific engine configuration by the admin?
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, but I guess it's just same security pre-caution, trying to avoid SQL-injecting and such stuff. Or the search built in PHP is just not capable of doing the needed things, the db itself surely isn't the problem.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Forums Feedback.

- John
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to SEARCH correctly in this forum Reply with quote

samo wrote:
I'm often trying to search for topics and posts for a specific package which contains special characters "-", "/", "." or numbers. But the search string is shorten automatically by removing special signs and numbers.

When I search for e.g. "linuxtv-dvb-headers" the engine searches for "linuxtvdvbheaders" and don't find related posts like this.

The search engine strips out punctuation when it indexes the posts as well as when searching. So if you search for "linuxtv-dvb-headers" it will find posts that contain that phrase even though it shows "linuxtvdvbheaders". E.g. it will find this post.

The reason it doesn't find the post in the German forum is that the search engine does not search the language forums by default. To search a language forum you need to select it from the search page.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: