Getting rid of Sabayon after all...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khorio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Getting rid of Sabayon after all... Reply with quote

I've been a long time user of gentoo, but got rid of it a while ago because i couldn't keep up with compiling everything all the time and problems with hardware.

I switched over to sabayon where it all seemingly worked..but now I find myself using portage all the time instead of entropy (equo).
Is it possible in any way to switch this system over to gentoo ? (remove overlay and emerge everything)

I'm open to any suggestions, even if it breaks the system :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how far the Sabayon changes go. Probably there is already some guide in the Documentations sub.

I used a funtoo-stage for the initial setup of Gentoo (back when Gentoo stages were rather outdated) and then immediately migrated over, it was quite easy. I simply removed the git-based funtoo tree and synced with the regular portage one, then looked at the emerge -pv output to see which packages would be downgraded in order to put them into package.unmask/package.keywords. I also created a funtoo-migration local overlay where I added some existing funtoo ebuilds that I wanted to keep around until them being bumped in portage anyway, to avoid any pointless downgrades.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried it, but you may be able to do it this way: (you know, use at your own risk, completely untested method, etc.)

Kill the package.keywords, package.mask, and check package.use. If memory servers, its a mess on Sabayon. Also, take a good, long look at the USE in make.conf. chances are that you want to change those. After you get rid of the package manager and overlay, check emerge -pc and add anything that you want to keep (I don't remember how well portage and entropy communicated, pretty much not at all)
Code:
emerge -uvND world
emerge -e system
emerge -e world

It might be easier and quicker just to install from a stage 3, but it would be interesting to try. I don't know how much of a system you would get back after this or if it will work at all. IF you are willing to RISK your system, it would be interesting to hear how it went.

EDIT:
I would also add baselayout, xorg-server, and kdebase-meta to the world file like this:
Code:
emerge --noreplace baselayout
emerge --noreplace xorg-server
emerge --noreplace  kdebase-meta

just to make sure that you have a minimum system left

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
juvetiko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster,

baselayout is a part of the system set in Gentoo and should not be in the world file.
It does no harm to check with
Code:
emerge system -ep

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
nightlite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie to Linux and using Sabayon because I was worried about loosing the handbook during the build and I am happily astounded by this thread.

Surely converting from Sabayon to Gentoo takes more than three command lines? and care of the Kill the package.keywords, package.mask, and check package.use

I must be missing something! I just don't know what.

I'd be delighted to learn what I think I am missing. But know not what it is.

Thanks for the thread and any advice.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely converting from Sabayon to Gentoo takes more than three command lines?

Yes it does. Installing Sabayon and turning it into Gentoo is not a good option for anyone new to linux. It is more like an interesting adventure that will probably not work. If you want an easy install meduim, use the System rescue CD. You will get a working GUI and internet, so you won't loose the handbook. It does not change anything in the install process.

A converted system from Sabayon to Gentoo will probably have lots of bugs that need at least some experience to deal with.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
baselayout is a part of the system set in Gentoo and should not be in the world file.

Thank you for the correction.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
khorio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately i already hosed sabayon off and did a clean install of gentoo while waiting for an anwser (and pretty happy about this aswell, i just can't say goodbye to gentoo)

But what i will do is install sabayon in a vbox environment one of these days and try the suggestions above, im pretty curious myself how this would work out.

And yeah, i'm pretty sure this will end up to be a broken system, with many leftovers all over the place.
khorio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# emerge -eva world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

x11-libs/qt-qt3support:4

(x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.7.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
~x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.7.4[aqua=,debug=] required by (x11-libs/qt-gui-4.7.4-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
(and 1 more with the same problem)

(x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.7.3::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>=x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.7.0:4[accessibility,kde] required by (kde-base/kcontrol-4.7.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
~x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.7.3[-aqua,-debug] required by (x11-libs/qt-gui-4.7.3::gentoo, installed)
(and 76 more with the same problems)

i'm stuck here now, lots of these buggers.

Anyone have a suggestion to get these slots fixed?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryantje,

This is a feature rather than a problem. It only happens when you try to mix stable and unstable packages on the same system.

In summary, stable package A depends on a stable package Z and stable package B depends on an unstable package Z.
Now Z is the same package in both cases but at different versions and Z is not slotted, so you are not permitted both versions at the same time.

You can only resolve the conflict by making A and B depend on the same version of Z. That usually means upgrading A to unstable or downgrading B to stable.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryantje wrote:
Well, unfortunately i already hosed sabayon off and did a clean install of gentoo while waiting for an anwser (and pretty happy about this aswell, i just can't say goodbye to gentoo)

But what i will do is install sabayon in a vbox environment one of these days and try the suggestions above, im pretty curious myself how this would work out.

And yeah, i'm pretty sure this will end up to be a broken system, with many leftovers all over the place.

I did try it in virtual box to out of curiosity. What I found was
a) you have to delete the mirrors in make.conf. The seem to point somewhere else.
b) you have to add meta packages that you want to keep (like kdebase-meta, or gnome-light), but you have to do it after you sync to the normal portage tree.
c) you have to reset your profile after you sync portage.
d) you have to do something about layman
e) The packages installed are a mess. You need to have some idea of what to uninstall and what to keep and what to add. emerge -pc would not work because of missing packages.

I gave up at this point because after you work this out, the emerge -e system and emerge -e world should work and I didn't want to wait for the system to compile.

I would defiantly say a clean install is better because of all the useless packages that are installed and the time it takes to untangle everything is about the same as a fresh install. It sure is fun though!

khorio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
Ryantje wrote:

I did try it in virtual box to out of curiosity. What I found was
a) you have to delete the mirrors in make.conf. The seem to point somewhere else.
b) you have to add meta packages that you want to keep (like kdebase-meta, or gnome-light), but you have to do it after you sync to the normal portage tree.
c) you have to reset your profile after you sync portage.
d) you have to do something about layman
e) The packages installed are a mess. You need to have some idea of what to uninstall and what to keep and what to add. emerge -pc would not work because of missing packages.

I gave up at this point because after you work this out, the emerge -e system and emerge -e world should work and I didn't want to wait for the system to compile.

I would defiantly say a clean install is better because of all the useless packages that are installed and the time it takes to untangle everything is about the same as a fresh install. It sure is fun though!

Yep, I've come to the same conclusion, it does work with LOTS of messing around and manually removing packages all over the place, and the time to do this on a 'real' system is simply not worth it.
In the end it leaves too much cr*p around.

Thanks to all those who helped and i hope this thread gives people an idea what to do when moving over from Sabayon :) (which is nuke it and reinstall :P)
blain3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do some configuration on a fresh un-synced Sabayon X, and try it. I'm running a gen 3 i7 with a pretty beast laptop so compiling is joke. I could sure use an excuse to practice manual editing and all that fun stuff, as i can do a stage 3 tarball install no problem but im struggling with networking and xdm / xfce. After about 4-5 months I'v learned a lot doing stupid shit to one computer or another, was a nice quick way to go from wtf is this using ubuntu to what i know now.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely possible to install SL (Sabayon Linux) and convert it to Gentoo. I've done it myself a couple of times, and can assure folk that it is feasible (which proves that SL is simply a customised version of Gentoo). However, it is a more long-winded exercise than installing Gentoo from scratch, and personally I wouldn't bother using that method of obtaining Gentoo. There is one upside, though, and that is that you start from a full-featured functional installation and can slowly migrate it to Gentoo while still using it. I recommend doing the migration incrementally over a period of time (e.g. weeks or months). I can't remember all the steps I followed and the precise order I followed them, but it went roughly like this, and was iterative:

1. Install SL to the HDD using the SL LiveDVD.
2. Uninstall all the Entropy applications and begin using Portage only (but keep the sabayon-distro and sabayon overlays).
3. Edit make.conf and rebuild Portage world (the old guide in the SL Wiki for doing this is a handy reference).
4. Rebuild the SL kernel to suit your hardware.
5. Tidy the world file.
6. Reinstall GCC and rebuild world, following the usual Gentoo documentation for these.
7. Replace the SL kernel with the Gentoo kernel.
8. Change the framebuffer splash from SL to Gentoo.
9. Remove the sabayon-distro overlay and rebuild everything. You'll run into various problems, such as GRUB 2, poppler etc. that have different ebuilds in the sabayon-distro overlay to Gentoo, but it is possible to fix all these problems (I've got the T-shirt to prove it).
10. Remove any remaining SL-specific files, which are now 'cruft'.

Fitzcarraldo's blog

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Cynede
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in addition: I usually point people that there are a lot of binary packages in gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: