Very impressed with gentoo on laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godsmack420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Very impressed with gentoo on laptop Reply with quote

I have been a long time Gentoo user. But before it was such a PITA to set gentoo up as a workstation OS. I always had problems with sound, wireless, and other things. This weekend I decided to try to load gentoo as the second OS on my laptop along with Win7 (sorry but .NET is how I make a living, Linux is my after work side business). I am very happy with how everything just worked now! No issues with sound, it just worked. No issues with my printer, cups installed it fine without me going to manufactures website and downloading linux drivers and making a bunch of symbolic links to get it to work.

Even though I gave up on Gentoo for workstation OS a long time ago I am definitely happy now. I still recommend Gentoo for server environment (command line only) and have set up many Gentoo servers for clients. I love the fact that as a server I ONLY install what I need and it's trim... Now I have the best of both worlds, my easiest workstation install ever on a fairly new laptop and Gentoo still kicks ass in server environment.

Now just need to get my wife and kids to convert :) I have Gentoo server in basement humming away just as file server (SAMBA), print server, and running a website through my cable internet through ZoneEdit. Not a big load but it does what it's supposed to do. Now to convert the other 3 laptops in my house to Gentoo (wife and 2 kids).

Ok I'm done. Just very happy about ease of my last install.

Randy
Ion Silverbolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow three laptops? Looks like a good time to setup a portage binhost. :)
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some similar experience : after giving a try to Gentoo on an old and slow PC, and showing the boost I can feel, I'm slowly moving all my machine to Gentoo. Slowest first then others (Distcc and BinHost is a great help as you can imagine :wink: ).

But for my wife PC, I think I'll keep Ubuntu because she can install on her own whatever she want. With Gentoo, or I'll have to prepare anything for her on my binhost as I don't think she will have to wait for quite long time in compilation.

But everything else is moving ...
mad2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also installed gentoo on my laptop for school. (I have a mac pro that i use for all my class stuff that doesnt support linux) It is an IBM t60 and it flies with gentoo! I have tried about every distro under the sun and I was always to scared to try gentoo since it seemed so complex. But as it has been said, almost everything worked! I had very little configuration to do and I love the control gentoo gives me. All in all, Gentoo rules!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: