View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Gentoo Linux Hybrid ISO - Put a Cow in your boxen EDITION Reply with quote

Unstuck 2012-04-01. Please use the Gentoo 12.1 Release instead. --kallamej

Greetings fellow gentooligans,

The time has come for a brand new hybrid iso a.k.a LiveDVD to come out in time for the new year.

Packages included in this release: Linux Kernel 3.1.5, Xorg 1.10.4, KDE 4.7.4, Gnome 3.2.1 XFCE 4.8, Fluxbox 1.3.2 Firefox 8.0, LibreOffice 3.4.99.2, Gimp 2.6.11, Blender 2.60, Amarok 2.5 , VLC 1.1.13, Chromium 16.0 and much more ...

Enjoy it and report any issues at bugs.gentoo.org while adding your report as a blocker of https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378027 which is the tracker for this release. Please DO NOT post comments at bug 378027.

Enjoy the rest of 2011!

likewhoa

Stuck, --kallamej

Last edited by likewhoa on Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thank you! Downloading...

P.S.
I was surprised that i can`t find those ISOs on torrents.gentoo.org 8O
On 'Torrent’s details' page (for amd64 multilib) the screenshots are not visible.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hard work, likewhoa. I'm sure your effort is worthwhile, as it enables a wider audience to experience Gentoo more easily.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just works? :D

I ran it in Virtual Box without harddrive:
Single core with ~2048MB memory was quiet slow in KDE and other bigger DE
Dual core with ~4096MB memory was fast in any DE

Some things I noticed during my quicktest:
XBMC - weather forcast doesn't update (but I probably didn't try hard enough)
LXDE - got an error when I tried to click on the link for the manual on the desktop
OpenBox - has no taskbar like fluxbox?

Got to check out later again...
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
Just works? :D

I ran it in Virtual Box without harddrive:
Single core with ~2048MB memory was quiet slow in KDE and other bigger DE
Dual core with ~4096MB memory was fast in any DE

Some things I noticed during my quicktest:
XBMC - weather forcast doesn't update (but I probably didn't try hard enough)
LXDE - got an error when I tried to click on the link for the manual on the desktop

Got to check out later again...

Because of desktop effects the recommended memory is 4G but with just 3G on physical hardware KDE is pretty smooth.

I didn't bother to setup XBMC weather since that was left for the user to enable and configure to their own zone.

I don't think LXDE understands .desktop links perhaps, will look into it.

Openbox I am not sure about either since I never used it, but if there is a taskbar I'll find out and make a note for next release.

Thanks for the feedback, Now try with persistence mode.
scarabeus
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slightly worried about the lo version, could you please put 3.4 series there as 3.5 is being in betatest and it is probably not something people would want on their live media?
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarabeus wrote:
I am slightly worried about the lo version, could you please put 3.4 series there as 3.5 is being in betatest and it is probably not something people would want on their live media?

Actually 3.4 is on there and I will make the changes to announcement and thread. Thanks for pointing that out. 3.4.99.2 is the version currently installed.
scarabeus
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.4.99.2 is 3.5 beta 2...

So you are still on 3.5 series ;)

You need the 3.4.reallysmallnumber.othersmallnumber versions, but when is the tagdate I can prep some 3.5.5.1 or we can wait on 3.5.5.2 that will be done next friday.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarabeus wrote:
3.4.99.2 is 3.5 beta 2...

So you are still on 3.5 series ;)

You need the 3.4.reallysmallnumber.othersmallnumber versions, but when is the tagdate I can prep some 3.5.5.1 or we can wait on 3.5.5.2 that will be done next friday.

I believe the images are on their way to mirrors as we speak.
jfmanamtr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I just downloaded this & was wondering how I can install this to my hard drive. I have always admired Gentoo, but have never been able to get it figure out the install myself. Thanks for any info. Heck I would like to try to install it again if anyone could give me pointers on doing it.

~JFM
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfmanamtr wrote:
Hi. I just downloaded this & was wondering how I can install this to my hard drive. I have always admired Gentoo, but have never been able to get it figure out the install myself. Thanks for any info. Heck I would like to try to install it again if anyone could give me pointers on doing it.

~JFM

There are a couple of guides online for this, check the wiki or see http://tinyurl.com/65kz47g
TripleD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux Hybrid ISO - Put a Cow in your boxen EDITIO Reply with quote

I am trying to check out the livedvd but am having some issues with it seeing my usb keyboard/mouse.

It's a new system i just built:
MB = ASUS Crosshair V Formula
CPU = 'Octo' AMD-FX8150
MEM = 16GB Corsair Vengence (4x4)
KeyB = Logitech Clavier K120 USB (dime a dozen)
Mouse = Logitech 2 button/scroll wheel (dime a dozen)

BIOS USB settings:
Legacy USB Support = -Auto/Disabled/Enabled
Legacy USB3.0 Support = -Enabled/Disabled
EHCI Hand-off = -Enabled/Disabled

SB USB Configuration (sub menu)
OHCI HC(Bus 0 Dev 18 Fn 0) -Enabled/Disabled
OHCI HC(Bus 0 Dev 19 Fn 0) -Enabled/Disabled
OCHI HC(Bus 0 Dev 22 Fn 0) -Enabled/Disabled
OHCI HC(Bus 0 Dev 20 Fn 5) -Enabled/Disabled

(a hyphen (-) above indicates present values. also the default bios settings)

EDIT: I should note, i have tried different values for all of the above with the same result.

I have 8 USB 2.0 ports and 4 USB 3.0 ports on the rear panel.

When i first boot up i get the start up screen for selecting extra options and kernels etc. I can go through all the menus and add or subtract options from the kernel line.

When i hit enter it boots and goes to the splash screen. At this point i notice my 'num-lock' goes out and the next thing that comes up is the keyboard select. That times out and continues with the splash screen and just hangs there with nothing else happening.

After 5 mins i reboot and select no-fb. I lose the keyboard as above, gpm-pre fails to start, and it boots up into kde, sans keyboard and mouse.

Any suggestions?

By the way, the Desktop picture looks far better at 1920x1200!.

Thanks,
David

P.S: I also tried booting an older gentoo disk from a month ago, which worked fine on a new amd64 comp i built last month. I have the same problem with that boot disk as i am having with this one. Also, keyboard/mouse work fine in Win 7 which is on the machine.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I suspected from reading your post, it is a common problem for the AMD 990FX/SB950 chipset. I suspect you may need a bleeding edge kernel version to get the correct drivers for it.

A quick google search has numerous reports/bugs about usb not working in linux.... still looking for the correct kernel/driver.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from an open ubuntu bug.
Quote:
I have also found the hard way that if I enable the IOMMU MODE in the North Bridge Configuration screen, then I cannot even log on to my system because both my keyboard and mouse (USB) just don't work. Setting the "IMMU MODE" to DISABLED allows me to use my usb keyboard and usb wireless mouse.

TripleD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
from an open ubuntu bug.
Quote:
I have also found the hard way that if I enable the IOMMU MODE in the North Bridge Configuration screen, then I cannot even log on to my system because both my keyboard and mouse (USB) just don't work. Setting the "IMMU MODE" to DISABLED allows me to use my usb keyboard and usb wireless mouse.

Hey, thanks dol-sen. I have 2 IOMMU settings
- IOMMU = Enabled/Disabled
- IOMMU Mode = Disbaled/64MB

with both disabled, in FB mode, it hangs on "Waiting for uevents to be processed" the same if i disable only 'IOMMU Mode' Keyboard and mouse are still working though. ie mouse tracking light is still on and keyboard 'caps lock' 'scroll lock' and 'num lock' lights still function

With no-fb, with both disabled and just 'IOMMU Mode=64MB' disabled it boots up fine into KDE. At least i will be able to install now, (phew, was getting the sweats with the thought of only having win on here for everything)

David
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to keep an eye on the new kernels and upgrade often for a bit. I'm sure they'll get the bugs fixed in the drivers so everything works correctly.
TripleD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
You will need to keep an eye on the new kernels and upgrade often for a bit. I'm sure they'll get the bugs fixed in the drivers so everything works correctly.

It's funny, i built this box due to my old one getting slow to the point i could not wait for the new EVGA SR2(x) to come out sometime this winter, but i also wanted it to be somewhat 'future' proof for who ever i gave it too, once i got the SR(x) built.

Seems i was a tad to far into the future with this one. ;-)

Well, lots of kernel building in the future. At least now it is only going to take 1.5 mins to do it! :-)

Cheers and thanks again dol-sen

David
rogerx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks pretty good here on x86 32 bit i686.

1) Except when logging into Gnome or XFCE and "Gnome Disk Utility" (sys-apps/gnome-disk-utility) (aka palimpsest) starts up and finds problems with smartd error testing.

You'll get the nice GUI with smart info and some buttons to "check disk" or run smart tests. However, the next prompt will be a password verification prompt, of which prompts for user Gentoo's password. Entering Gentoo's password doesn't gain (root) access to the check disk and smart testing functions and errors with improper password. Even trying to enter root's password and/or changing the password results in this same error.

To fix, the prompt should prompt for root's password and not the user's password (for both Gnome and XFCE).

2) KDE seems much faster then Gnome. Most of the time Gnome desktop loads with all black toolbars hiding toolbar fonts.

3) On boot with the boot prompt, toggling the function keys for the additional menus seems to result in slow loading of the menus. I'm guessing the additional menus are not entirely loaded into memory, resulting in further DVD drive read access for the additional boot option menus. (Lags as much as 30 seconds here for each function key option menu!)

Very nice... just a few bugs here and there. Another nice feature, you can't accidentally log-out of the main root shell/virtual terminal -- hence locking the person out if they don't know the root password! ... again, very nice and good work. And, thank God they didn't omit vim.
rgk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:

OpenBox never has had a taskbar, only a right click menu and WM. you need to use tint2 etc...

Awesome livedvd once again, great to see new releases, thanks.
rogerx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And oh yea. As a devoted DWM desktop gui user here, it's awesome to see the Awesome desktop on the livecd!

Totally Awesome!
schmerg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Missing Chrome/Chromium in the hybrid ISO Reply with quote

Not a major issue, but I booted the hybrid image in 64 bit mode (32 bit userland) and couldn't find Chromium installed where the head post suggests v16 was intended to be included.
The package list for the amd64 iso includes chromium, but not the list hybrid iso... apologies if I'm being dumb and missing something.

It's very nice anyway - my main install has been continually upgraded since about 2004 so is carrying a load of old cruft, and the liveboot experience went very well.
One other Q - during boot I was asked about keyboard layout (UK: 40) but once inside KDE it had a US layout (so I changed it to UK via KDE control panel) - is the keyboard setting supposed to persist into KDE??

Cheers

--
Tim
rogerx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a small bash script a while ago to "qfile {every file within /usr}. Instances returning null, the file/folder was echo'ed to another .txt file.

I could then manually scan the .txt file before using rm -rf on the orphaned files and folders. Script was obviously time consuming, but very effective with house cleaning. ;-) ... of course I backed-up (dd) the whole root partition prior removing files.

I haven't bothered with this for the past couple of years as portage's file/folder recording has apparently improved since then. I just noticed the yesterday, there are some ebuilds preserving their files/folders after uninstall such as Firefox (any maybe tex/lyx/texlive) and they echo this to stdout after uninstall... but those notices are likely futile for later cruft/abandoned file/folder cleanup!
schmerg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Persistence for more than $HOME Reply with quote

I've got the persistence feature enabled so my personal settings are saved between sessions using the LiveDVD image on a USB stick, but if I install extra packages or change anything under /etc these settings are lost. Is there a specific reason why persistence is enabled for $HOME only - other distros seem to persist installation of packages etc (and I have a nice 16Gb USB stick to hand). Or is there a way I can change this setting without building an entire new image?

(I tried various people's instructions on copying the live image files to an expanded USB installation as another way of doing this, and i mostly worked, but then that takes ages to book and while it mostly worked fine, it failed to find wlan on another machine, despite the LiveDVD image working fine, so I figured I'd broken the magic somewhere... and the install takes about 14G when done that way).

--
Tim
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Persistence for more than $HOME Reply with quote

schmerg wrote:
I've got the persistence feature enabled so my personal settings are saved between sessions using the LiveDVD image on a USB stick, but if I install extra packages or change anything under /etc these settings are lost. Is there a specific reason why persistence is enabled for $HOME only - other distros seem to persist installation of packages etc (and I have a nice 16Gb USB stick to hand). Or is there a way I can change this setting without building an entire new image?

(I tried various people's instructions on copying the live image files to an expanded USB installation as another way of doing this, and i mostly worked, but then that takes ages to book and while it mostly worked fine, it failed to find wlan on another machine, despite the LiveDVD image working fine, so I figured I'd broken the magic somewhere... and the install takes about 14G when done that way).

--
Tim

full / persistence is on the roadmap.
Killerchronic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly old topic but starting a new one seeing as this is about the livedvd seems silly.

Finally decided to take a look at the livedvd as i usually just use the minimal disc, everything seems to boot fine till i get to the login prompt. The FAQ states the user/pass is gentoo/gentoo and to the su into root, but using those just comes back with incorrect password, same with gentoo/blank, root/gentoo, root/blank. Can't think of anymore logical options and searching only shows up those i've tried.

So what is the user/pass?

Edit: So tried a boot from the .iso in VMware and that works and it boots right into KDE, but doesn't from the DVD i burnt, just sits on the login prompt. Guess it could be a bad burn, didn't think it was because it managed to boot and get all the way to the login prompt. I'll try a reburn tomorrow been fiddling with this for the past hour and its a bit late now lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: