Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Take Bets on the Iowa Carcass
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who shall be victor in the Iowa Carcass?
Newt Gingrich
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mitt Romney
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Ron Paul
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Michele Bachmann
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Rick Santorum
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jon Huntsman
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Author Message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1224
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE @ 0658 UTC: Romney's four votes ahead.

Isn't it funny that nobody voted for Rick Santorum in this forum poll?

EDIT: Romney ended up winning by eight votes.


Last edited by wswartzendruber on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
Ron Paul is so fucked.

Guess you'll have to vote for the child killing mass murderer again am I rite?
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
drizek wrote:
Ron Paul is so fucked.

Guess you'll have to vote for the child killing mass murderer again am I rite?


:lol:

The winner will either be one who is going 200 mph into a wall, or the guy trying to slow it down to 100 mph.

Obviously, the one slowing it down is the better choice, but the tea leaves show that "GIVE ME MORE FREE SHIT!!!" is the position that will eventually destroy the country.


My advice, diversify your wealth as much as possible, and buy more dirt (real estate) in other countries.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drizek
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Location: Believe in America

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
drizek wrote:
yawn

Yeah, I keep trying to learn the inner workings of the primary and caucus systems, but it's so fucking arcane I always give up right away.


No, I get the caucus system. I went through this when it was Obama/Clinton four years ago and I still remember the basics.

The /yawn was for the people who think Ron Paul actually has a chance.

I mean, I guess I did the same "he's secretly winning" thing with Obama, but the difference is that Obama is the most palatable candidate to the average american, whereas Paul is supported only by... well... you know. There's no momentum for him, education won't work, his platform is intellectually bankrupt and he has no political "machine". He's just going to flounder a bit with the die-hards and then go away.

Obama, by contrast, was working on name recognition, building a grassroots movement and creating a message that is actually agreeable to the average american: hope and change. You can laugh all you want, but it's a hell of a lot more effective than "i want to get rid of the department of education".
_________________
Stand With Mittens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
drizek wrote:
yawn

Yeah, I keep trying to learn the inner workings of the primary and caucus systems, but it's so fucking arcane I always give up right away.


No, I get the caucus system. I went through this when it was Obama/Clinton four years ago and I still remember the basics.

The /yawn was for the people who think Ron Paul actually has a chance.

I mean, I guess I did the same "he's secretly winning" thing with Obama, but the difference is that Obama is the most palatable candidate to the average american, whereas Paul is supported only by... well... you know. There's no momentum for him, education won't work, his platform is intellectually bankrupt and he has no political "machine". He's just going to flounder a bit with the die-hards and then go away.

Obama, by contrast, was working on name recognition, building a grassroots movement and creating a message that is actually agreeable to the average american: hope and change. You can laugh all you want, but it's a hell of a lot more effective than "i want to get rid of the department of education".


Almost... Obama worked on the fact that the average person is a fucking moron and actually bought into his fantasy. Zero executive experience, lawyer, and leftist ideologue... OUR SAVIOR!!!

People are retarded. (No offense intended, I know you voted for him... but you're young)
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
No, I get the caucus system. I went through this when it was Obama/Clinton four years ago and I still remember the basics.

The /yawn was for the people who think Ron Paul actually has a chance.

I mean, I guess I did the same "he's secretly winning" thing with Obama, but the difference is that Obama is the most palatable candidate to the average american, whereas Paul is supported only by... well... you know. There's no momentum for him, education won't work, his platform is intellectually bankrupt and he has no political "machine". He's just going to flounder a bit with the die-hards and then go away.

Obama, by contrast, was working on name recognition, building a grassroots movement and creating a message that is actually agreeable to the average american: hope and change. You can laugh all you want, but it's a hell of a lot more effective than "i want to get rid of the department of education".

I see. Well I don't think Ron Paul has a chance. But remember that in 2008, John McCain got only 13% of the caucus vote but eventually won 100% of Iowa delegates. Paul could conceivably rack up a fair number of delegates and play an important role at the national convention. Maybe not king maker but difficult to ignore.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drizek
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Location: Believe in America

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

his delegates will defect.

He's not an establishment candidate. The establishment won't allow him to subject the party to a convention battle. This thing is going to be settled before the convention. Once it's down to two guys they'll just make a veep deal and get on with it.
_________________
Stand With Mittens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 456
Location: /US/Illinois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
drizek wrote:
Ron Paul is so fucked.

Guess you'll have to vote for the child killing mass murderer again am I rite?


:lol:

The winner will either be one who is going 200 mph into a wall, or the guy trying to slow it down to 195 mph.

Obviously, the one slowing it down is the better choice, but the tea leaves show that "GIVE ME MORE FREE SHIT!!!" is the position that will eventually destroy the country.


My advice, diversify your wealth as much as possible, and buy more dirt (real estate) in other countries.
Fixed.
_________________
Bastiat wrote:
“The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
Fixed.


:lol:
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
... Obama is the most palatable candidate to the average american, whereas Paul is supported only by... well... you know.

Do you really think Obama is the most palatable candidate, after his performance over the past three years?

I notice you chose the word "palatable" rather than, say, "acceptable", "preferable", etc. Was that a Freudian slip? Is he giving you a tingle up your thigh?
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1224
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romney won.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Romney won.


So, Romney v Obama : aka President Romney.

It's over.

No, really, it's over.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drizek
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Location: Believe in America

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
drizek wrote:
... Obama is the most palatable candidate to the average american, whereas Paul is supported only by... well... you know.

Do you really think Obama is the most palatable candidate, after his performance over the past three years?

I notice you chose the word "palatable" rather than, say, "acceptable", "preferable", etc. Was that a Freudian slip? Is he giving you a tingle up your thigh?


Yes, I do.

But I was talking about 4 years ago, during the primaries. Someone like Kucinich wouldn't have had a chance, but Obama could have plausibly made up the ground between himself and clinton because he was a centrist.

And I don't know what you're talking about.
_________________
Stand With Mittens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 456
Location: /US/Illinois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
drizek wrote:
... Obama is the most palatable candidate to the average american, whereas Paul is supported only by... well... you know.

Do you really think Obama is the most palatable candidate, after his performance over the past three years?

I notice you chose the word "palatable" rather than, say, "acceptable", "preferable", etc. Was that a Freudian slip? Is he giving you a tingle up your thigh?


Yes, I do.

But I was talking about 4 years ago, during the primaries. Someone like Kucinich wouldn't have had a chance, but Obama could have plausibly made up the ground between himself and clinton because he was a centrist.

And I don't know what you're talking about.
Kucinich isn't blood thirsty enough to be president.
_________________
Bastiat wrote:
“The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... now what?
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizek wrote:
And I don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe you should look up the primary definition of "palatable" then. :P
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
So... now what?

Each political party within each of our 50 states has some procedure by which they choose a nominee to run in the general election. This procedure may or may not involve a primary election (a preliminary vote to choose a candidate). That preliminary vote may or may not directly decide the nominee (the result my decide it directly, or the results my be just a guideline for use by a small panel of representative party members (i.e., electoral delegates) who do the actual voting on who will be the candidate). In Iowa, the latter is true; the popular vote is considered a "straw poll".

So, the Iowa Republican Party will choose electoral delegates, and these electoral delegates will vote on who they want the nominee to be.

This is the first of 49 such events which will, collectively, determine who the Republican nominee will be. The Democrats went through a similar process last election, which ultimately resulted in the nomination of Obama.

People make a big deal about the first few, because that's when the reality starts to crystallize, and when the front-runners emerge.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 172

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marens wrote:
Deutschlandfunk wrote:

Bla bla bla Romney bla bla Obama will stay anyway bla bla


So they were right on the first part, and we ALL know they'll be right on the second part, too!
_________________
If English was good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
So, Romney v Obama : aka President Romney.
According to Rush, the media has been playing up their fear of Romney, with Rush claiming that means the media thinks Romney is the candidate they'll most easily be able to defeat.

Romney's win by a handful of votes very well may be a loss given Santorum's surge. Howard Dean won Iowa, and Romney seems a lot like a used car salesman.

The only question now is whether or not I'll have to vote against legislated morality.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santorum's dirty. His legislation gave tax payer funded data from the national weather service not to the taxpayers, but to select companies. He's a champion of pork, and is trying to ride the anti-abortion/born-again wave into the White House. Sorry Rick, but you can't win the presidency with this as your campaign.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
According to Rush...


  • Poor school kids should be left to starve.

  • Chelsea Clinton was "the White House dog".

  • It's OK on radio to play the song "Barack the Magic Negro" (sung to the tune of Puff the Magic Dragon).

  • "Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it"

  • "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

  • Volcanoes do more harm to the ozone layer than man.

  • Michael J Fox is faking the symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

  • "I'm not making this up folks".


Oh I think you are Rush. I think you are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Oh I think you are Rush. I think you are.
Nice attacking the messenger. I'd love to be Rush. I'd be retired on an island. You should learn to not take things out of context.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
Oh I think you are Rush. I think you are.
Nice attacking the messenger. I'd love to be Rush. I'd be retired on an island. You should learn to not take things out of context.
From Fox News to Rush. I call that a step in the right direction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Nice attacking the messenger.


I was genuinely shocked to find a sentence starting with "according to Rush..". Do people really take him seriously?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:
pjp wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
Oh I think you are Rush. I think you are.
Nice attacking the messenger. I'd love to be Rush. I'd be retired on an island. You should learn to not take things out of context.
From Fox News to Rush. I call that a step in the right direction.

:lol:
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum