Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Gentoo Linux Wallpapers for upcoming liveDVD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: New Gentoo Linux Wallpapers for upcoming liveDVD Reply with quote

Well it's almost that time again to release a new liveDVD and I've spend 2 nights putting together some wallpapers that will rotate on the desktop. I hope you all like these and any feedback is appreciated, just keep it clean. Enjoy the weekend Gentooligans!

https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5685534799184856913?authkey=CPOwyOLK1u7ahgE

likewhoa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 4150

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this one : https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5685534799184856913/5685534797440387874?authkey=CPOwyOLK1u7ahgE
Sad the logo on this one was really badly crop. But i like the look even i'm sad the rendering logo is so bad.

and this one : https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-laulQZuPqOY/Tuum4UQsC5I/AAAAAAAAF3k/p0vdjDAJdhQ/s720/Gentoo12-wallpapers-11.png
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dol-sen
Developer
Developer


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 2521
Location: Richmond, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are very nice. I like them all. Can't wait til I'm home to see them on something bigger than my phone. :)
_________________
Brian
Porthole, the Portage GUI frontend irc@freenode: #gentoo-guis, #porthole, Blog
layman, gentoolkit, CoreBuilder, esearch...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 1098
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them!
Especially this one https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KhgY5B4x6ng/TucT33MGk0I/AAAAAAAAF0E/z84r3umL77s/s912/Gentoo12-wallpapers-5.png :wink:
_________________
"Dear Enemy: may the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment."
"Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
i like this one : https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5685534799184856913/5685534797440387874?authkey=CPOwyOLK1u7ahgE
Sad the logo on this one was really badly crop. But i like the look even i'm sad the rendering logo is so bad.

and this one : https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-laulQZuPqOY/Tuum4UQsC5I/AAAAAAAAF3k/p0vdjDAJdhQ/s720/Gentoo12-wallpapers-11.png


I will fix this ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 4150

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
krinn wrote:
i like this one : https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5685534799184856913/5685534797440387874?authkey=CPOwyOLK1u7ahgE
Sad the logo on this one was really badly crop. But i like the look even i'm sad the rendering logo is so bad.

and this one : https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-laulQZuPqOY/Tuum4UQsC5I/AAAAAAAAF3k/p0vdjDAJdhQ/s720/Gentoo12-wallpapers-11.png


I will fix this ;)


That was the purpose of that post, saying i love that one, and a subliminal message to rework the logo inside it :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
likewhoa wrote:
krinn wrote:
i like this one : https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5685534799184856913/5685534797440387874?authkey=CPOwyOLK1u7ahgE
Sad the logo on this one was really badly crop. But i like the look even i'm sad the rendering logo is so bad.

and this one : https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-laulQZuPqOY/Tuum4UQsC5I/AAAAAAAAF3k/p0vdjDAJdhQ/s720/Gentoo12-wallpapers-11.png


I will fix this ;)


That was the purpose of that post, saying i love that one, and a subliminal message to rework the logo inside it :)


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e8yvBjJEkxI/Tuu7PU9JNYI/AAAAAAAAF6c/N5hBZHLQFXY/s800/Gentoo12-wallpapers.png fixed.

P.S The LiveDVD will have all these images in PNG format ranging from 1600x1200,1280x960 & 1024x768.
enjoy them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 4150

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could i complain again on that version ? (that's better, but still)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Could i complain again on that version ? (that's better, but still)


go right ahead :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a3li
Developer
Developer


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Location: 德国

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Gentoo Linux Wallpapers for upcoming liveDVD Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope you all like these and any feedback is appreciated, just keep it clean.


Some clean feedback as requested:

In case you didn't notice, we have basically two typographic styles we apply to our name in a logo. Don't you think a LiveDVD offered on the official website should use either of these to maintain a consistent visual identity and not a random font without any relation to the project?
Also, at least Larry the Cow is licensed to us, and requires a CC-BY-SA remark. I'd rather not ask where you got the other pictures you 'remixed' into these.

Then, what's with that Backtrack dragon? Why should we feature it? And half-nude women with Gentoo logos on the bikini, seriously? I thought this was a professional distribution, not an adult version of Hannah Montannah (how ever that is spelt correctly) Linux.

May I use this opportunity to point again to the wallpapers that were done for the 10th anniversary edition. Sure your creations are a nice thing to have for the community, but they cannot reach Ben's wallpapers in terms of professionalism, neutrality and conformance to our visual standards. (The 10 year anniversary remark should be removed of course, but other than that I see no problem in using them again).

On the upside, at least the "approving lion" and his friends seem to be gone. One step in the right direction, I hope more follow.
_________________
I am Confuism. Do not bother me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
96140
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 1324

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Gentoo Linux Wallpapers for upcoming liveDVD Reply with quote

a3li wrote:
Quote:
I hope you all like these and any feedback is appreciated, just keep it clean.


Some clean feedback as requested:

In case you didn't notice, we have basically two typographic styles we apply to our name in a logo.


I cannot find the font anywhere at g.o so if you have a link to it, i'll be glad to edit the wallpapers.

@nightmorph i totally agree and have deleted the bikini girl and w.r.t to copyright owners, i was planning to contact some of them about permission but now that I am starting to think i should just create some original backgrounds instead.

eitherway, thank you both for the clean feedback.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated Official ArtWork and Included Original ArtWork of my own so I don't have to spend time hunting down copyright owners.
https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5688487196204090737 enjoy them!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 1098
Location: Sofia/Bulgaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
Updated Official ArtWork and Included Original ArtWork of my own so I don't have to spend time hunting down copyright owners.
https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5688487196204090737 enjoy them!


Hehe "Put a COW in your boxen" :D
_________________
"Dear Enemy: may the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment."
"Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 31711
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa,

You might want to include an attributions, licences and permission wallpaper page in the wallpaper rotation, so you can be seen to comply with the assorted licences where you have built upon the works of others.

In general, no using other works without permission - cite your permissions somewhere too.
No naked/scantally clad people of any gender.
No competition bashing. There is no competition in Open Source.

Its all good stuff and as others have said, there is no reason to have only new images.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krinn
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 4150

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

No naked/scantally clad people of any gender.


Shouldn't this include a transexual larry the cow (that should be lady the cow or larry the bull) ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
likewhoa,

You might want to include an attributions, licences and permission wallpaper page in the wallpaper rotation, so you can be seen to comply with the assorted licences where you have built upon the works of others.

In general, no using other works without permission - cite your permissions somewhere too.
No naked/scantally clad people of any gender.
No competition bashing. There is no competition in Open Source.

Its all good stuff and as others have said, there is no reason to have only new images.


The current wallpapers besides the ones with the flying penguin belong to me and noone else but of course I will be releasing rights to Gentoo once they are distributed on the livedvd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a3li
Developer
Developer


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Location: 德国

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
Updated Official ArtWork and Included Original ArtWork of my own so I don't have to spend time hunting down copyright owners.
https://plus.google.com/photos/117205945280553220703/albums/5688487196204090737 enjoy them!


We're getting there, even if slowly.
A note your usage of fonts and colors: There are several hues of purples and blues used. Please stick to one. Also, the font selection is rather broad. Pick one (preferably sans-serif) font besides the 'gentoo linux', and use it with as little variation as possible (no outlines).

The jewel back cover has readability issues with the background decals. Remember, these will be printed on SoHo printers with likely less contrast and worse color rendering than your monitor.

Edit: Allow me a brief note on your perception of copyrights. They are to be taken very seriously. Jurisdiction in the US (home of the Gentoo Foundation which after all hosts the DVD) and the rest of the world is quite strict and has inflicted significant fines in various cases. Getting dragged to court because of violated copyrights hurts Gentoo dramatically more than a LiveDVD or your artwork can do good for it and the community.
_________________
I am Confuism. Do not bother me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@a3li
1. it's to late for color/font changes, but thanks for the suggestion.
2. I only had 2 days to work on the covers/wallpapers and next release cycle will have a total new design and style
3. w.r.t copyrights, this is why all the wallpapers now are property of Gentoo.

Happy Holidays!
likewhoa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum