Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
eth0: Device not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikinovak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: eth0: Device not found Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all, a big thank you to the guy that patched the install CD with pppoe scripts. My DSL install from stage one went flawless.

Well, almost... 8O

The DSL connection just for the install only required configuration of the pppoe scripts, they ran without ifconfig (don't know why, just worked, so it's OK with me).

I managed to install a base system with a double boot Win XP / Gentoo Linux (thanks to kanuslupus for the hint). Everything seems to startup OK, except eth0 which isn't recognized.

Maybe it's a good idea to say that the word 'network' sends a cold sweat of ignorance along my spine (as 'compile', 'kernel', 'hack' do for some fellow newbies). I'm a one computer man, and I guess I have to understand 'network' insofar as it's required to get my DSL connection working. Otherwise I'm just an average user (responsive to RTFM though 8O )

I guess I have not one but several problems here (correct me if I'm wrong):

1) eth0 isn't recognized. That means there must be some module or some kernel option missing. Now could someone sharpen my impressionistic approach (sarcastic-in-a-friendly-way emoticon missing).

2) Where the heck do I get IPNUM, BCAST and NMASK? I understand there is some sort of convention going, but I'm an ignorant in that respect. I feel like when my students make a reference to some recent soap opera. Try to explain to an 18 year old that you live without television since 1986...

Niki (grateful for any suggestion)
kikinovak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post scriptum: I have a Realtek 8139 Ethernet card, recognized by PCI autodetection during the install, with the appropriate 8139too module.

Niki
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: eth0: Device not found Reply with quote

kikinovak wrote:
1) eth0 isn't recognized. That means there must be some module or some kernel option missing.

Assumption #1: you are booting from a kernel that you built yourself.
Assumption #2: you are still using the Realtek ethernet card you mentioned earlier.
Assumption #3: when you built your kernel you didn't do anything special about that Realtek ethernet card.

If these are all true, walk (don't run :)) to your kernel sources (which are probably in /usr/src/linux), run "make menuconfig" again, look for Network device support -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) -> RealTek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support. Turn it on, so it looks like [*]. Now rebuild your kernel as you did when you built it the first time, reinstall it in /boot and reboot and see what happens.

Quote:
2) Where the heck do I get IPNUM, BCAST and NMASK?

This depends on your ISP. Do you have another OS installed on this computer that was able to access the Internet? If so, could you please describe how networking was configured in it?
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To load modules automaticly, add them to /etc/modules.autoload. You can also load them by typing: modprobe 8139too, or: insmod 8139too.

I have a nic with the same realtek-chip and it works fine.[/code]
kikinovak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka!... and thanks to rac and water. I just solved the problem, which was less like what's-in-the-kernel but more like where-is-my-kernel. Everytime I recompiled it, I just put it in /boot (like I did in the old days), but I completely forgot that I had a separate boot partition that had to be mounted. Once I got around it, things went OK. Now eth0 comes up with the default values set in /etc/conf.d/net. 8)

Thanks,

Niki
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: