View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r8dhex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: upgrading kde from 3.0.2 - 3.0.3 Reply with quote

i just updated kde from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3... then the kde greeter screen reverts back to default instead of liquid. so i went to the control center > login manager, and it says can't open /usr/share/apps/kdm/something... which then led me to the forums where i stumbled upon this:

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-August/014338.html

if the apps are now installed to /usr instead of /usr/kde/3, how will this affect apps that i have previously installed? should i just leave them as is? would it be better to unmerge them and then remerge? how would i know which apps are affected?
jakke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is true. I did an upgrade and all of my binaries for kde are still under /usr/kde/3/bin .
mdpye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: upgrading kde from 3.0.2 - 3.0.3 Reply with quote

r8dhex wrote:
i just updated kde from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3... then the kde greeter screen reverts back to default instead of liquid. so i went to the control center > login manager, and it says can't open /usr/share/apps/kdm/something... which then led me to the forums where i stumbled upon this:

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2002-August/014338.html

if the apps are now installed to /usr instead of /usr/kde/3, how will this affect apps that i have previously installed? should i just leave them as is? would it be better to unmerge them and then remerge? how would i know which apps are affected?

I got in a mess over this, so eventually I unmerged everything kde, and all the apps and remerged them. Gave me a chance to treak the flags as well. Not a problem on this XP2100+, but other people might not find it such a satisfactory solution!

I found that the apps in their old locations where no longer in my path. Well, you could add them to your path and see if that helps. If not, remerge them is all I can think of. :(
r8dhex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reemerged everything else to be sure.

Code:
cd /var/db/pkg
grep -ih '/usr/kde/3/' `find . -iname 'CONTENTS'`

to find all packages with files in /usr/kde/3. i then reemerged anything that isn't kde. afterwards, the only foreign files that were left in /usr/kde/3 were config files (i think) in /usr/kde/3/share/apps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: