2011 Screenshot Contest -- config files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whtwtr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: 2011 Screenshot Contest -- config files Reply with quote

As promised. but very late to deliver, I am happy to share my Conky config files with my Gentoo brethren...

Download it from here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9311769/conky-whtwtr.zip

See the screenshot from here:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/shots.xml

Now few a words of warning:

This configuration is highly tweeked for my desktop environment. In order to get the same result on your system, you will have to get "up close and personal" with the conky configuration files and the supporting bash scripts. I can almost gurantee, it will NOT just work out of the box :wink:

That being said, here are a few tips that might help, or hinder, your attempt at desktop eyecandy perfection 8) ::

Some packages your system will need: (this is not an exhaustive list)

- app-admin/conky (duh!)
- media-gfx/imagemagick
- dev-lang/php
- media-fonts/terminus-font

Other supporting fonts, scripts, and graphics can be found in the zip file... There are also loads of comments in the config files so hopefully this should help to.

Good luck! All you Conky, eye candy desktop, Gentoo crusaders...

PS: Anyone replying to this post with: "It doesn't work..." will get a whole bunch of these: :evil: :evil: :evil: Consider yourself warned! -- whtwtr
h0mer`-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great finally :)

i will try it out later today
st3vie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the information and configuration! We'll get tweaking soon! :)
Dr_Deadmeat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Screenshot Contest -- config files Reply with quote

Now that I am done with my finals I had to try this out and after an hour of tweaking I finally got something usable. Your code was wery well documented and it was rather easy to get into it. I must say it looks really sleek and I am really happy with how it turned out, but I have one question: How can I get the image to work on this forum? When I hit preview I just get a link with the [img] tags.

The most notable changes I did (aside from playing around with parameters to get things where they should be) was that I removed the window and graphic specifications in "center.conkyrc" because that made my xmonad think of it as a window which should be tiled, and that I let the centre x and y of the circle be stored in a variable instead of manually writing it down each time (saved me some headache when trying to adjust the circle) I also removed the weather forecast because I couldn't get that to work. =P

I use xmonad with xmobar on this system, and my next project is to remove xmobar on the top and the lower conky statusbar and replace those with a single dzen bar. After that I must try to get this setup to span multiple monitors.

Screenshot

Cheers :)
whtwtr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look's great dr_DeadMeat !!! Glad to see someone got it o work!!! :)
TheOther1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 Screenshot Contest -- config files Reply with quote

Dr_Deadmeat wrote:

I use xmonad with xmobar on this system, and my next project is to remove xmobar on the top and the lower conky statusbar and replace those with a single dzen bar. After that I must try to get this setup to span multiple monitors.

Did you happen to get this to work on multiple monitors? Either spanning or duplicated?

Also, tried this on Ubuntu 11.10, it just worked out of the box, with the exception center circles being on top of the wallpaper, so the upward angled bars are missing... Anyone know why that may be? It appears own_window_transparent may not be working.

EDIT*
I figured out setting this variable fixed it:
own_window_argb_visual no
So now I have this cool desktop on Ubuntu and Gentoo. Yay! Thank you whtwtr!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: