tmpfs umount failure preventing shutdown
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balfa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: tmpfs umount failure preventing shutdown Reply with quote

I have inherited and updated a diskless Gentoo system recently. As it is a diskless system tmpfs has been used for/tmp, /var/log etc. Since the update shutdown/rebooting is freezing when it tries to umount the tmpfs /var/run mount.

Unfortunately the logs are fairly useless in this case as they are themselves in a tmpfs.

The umount simply fails with:
Code:
Unmounting /var/run...

fstab entry is:
Code:
none                                    /var/run                                                tmpfs   mode=1755       0 0

My speculations so far are that as eth.0 is still up at this point as the root is mounted over the network and therefore there are still eth0 process identifiers in /var/run that are preventing the umount. Can anyone confirm that this would be the case?

I am considering modifying the RC scripts to prevent /var/run being unmounted at all.

Any solutions or suggestions welcome.
Pegasus87
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using /tmp with tmpfs too. But I'm using it for several month and this problem occurs since I installed Pulseaudio. Do you use Pulseaudio on your system? Maybe there is a connection between the installation of Pulseaudio and tmpfs.
bastibasti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this regularily, but for my /home which is encrypted
I guess the root cause is that something within this folder is mounted, and the init script cannot determine the order, or it cannot unmount this secondary mount.

I was going to investigate on theis and open a bug, but I didnt have time yet.

BTW: Whats your conf.d/net ? did you set eth0 to noop? in that case there should be no no file to /var/run

I'll give it a try on my 2 diskless clients tonight
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: