Stepmania disappeared from portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nakal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Stepmania disappeared from portage Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo just to play 1 single game: Stepmania. I prefer a Linux distribution instead of MS-Windows. It works well, never seen a crash and I have a lot of fun with it.

I've seen, stepmania (stable version 3.9) was scheduled for automated(?) removal about a week ago and now it really disappeared. I can see that the package is not very clean, because the developers obviously don't support Linux very well. But the point is, there was an ebuild for this and it installed well.

Stepmania was also removed because of an announce that there is already version 5. But this is highly unstable (see reports) and there is not real version 4.x which has ever replaced 3.9. So I think that there was a misunderstanding to remove this ebuild.

The result is, I won't be able to update Gentoo anymore, because I could accidently remove my working setup. I wish someone would take a look at this and restore the 3.9 version and perhaps try to add the 5-beta. Seems, it is not very different from the installation procedure, except there are more directories one has to create manually.

The situation sucks at the moment and I don't know what to do. Seems that Arch Linux has got a Stepmania package in AUR. This would be my last option, because I like how Gentoo portage works.
sebaro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put it in the world file it won't be removed. You can still get this game's ebuilds from here.
swanson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an occasional player of Stepmania too, keyboard only no dance pad...

Unfortunately some Gentoo devs are getting militant :) about unmaintained (within Gentoo or upstream) packages which even crazily included Compiz recently! However that you can still access all deleted portage ebuilds and files in CVS so no need to worry about loosing a local copy. You can view the deleted Stepmania ebuilds online at;

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/games-arcade/stepmania/?hideattic=0

Where query string hideattic=0 is to show dead files (otherwise click "Show X dead files" in a listing).
nakal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint with CVS, you two. It might be helpful, if something goes wrong.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can put the ebuild into your local overlay so portage won't complain about it.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
spiral
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find the stepmania-3.9-patches-6.tar.bz2 file?
sebaro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/Linux/Gentoo/distfiles/stepmania-3.9-patches-6.tar.bz2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: