Cell Broadband (PS3) and Python 2.7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Cell Broadband (PS3) and Python 2.7 Reply with quote

Hi.

For those who would like to help, a workaround is already found. I'm writing this for persons who might encounter same problem.

Yesterday i tried to update my PS3 with a fresh install. I downloaded latest PPC64 stage3 (stage3-ppc64-64ul-20111102.tar.bz2) and latest portage. When i chrooted into the new system, i did an emerge --sync, it went well for the important part, but came up with error of emerge and python2.7. I tried to reemerge portage, total failure, saying "bad description" and not able to fetch files needed. Some errors with python2.7 popped. So i ran "emerge python" to emerge python 3.1, same fetching errors. In fetching errors, there was the wget command to get the packages. So i took all the wget in all error messages and manually downloaded them. Here an example :

Code:
wget -t 3 -T 60 --passive-ftp -O /usr/portage/distfiles/Python-3.1.3.tar.bz2 http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.1.3/Python-3.1.3.tar.bz2

After fetching all files, i ran "emerge python" again. Everything went well and compiled. After that, all i had to do is :

Code:
eselect python set 2

To set new interpreter to python3.1. I reemerge portage, just to make sure. Everything went well and so far i'm at half of the compiling without any failure. I can't wait to see the performances of my PS3's in cluster with my Phenom X4 and fresh Gentoo. :D

But a question remain. I engineer on Cell for quite a while. Since Sony removed OtherOS in version =>3.2.1, as i didn't update my PS3's, is it considered illegal to still develop and produce stuff for PS3 OtherOS? I asked my lawyer but he answered me he is no expert with things related to engineering and DMCA laws. I thought maybe someone here would have an answer.

P.S. Sorry for not having the logs, i was so happy it worked i trashed those.

Simon-Pierre Dubé.
golagoda
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They couldn't make using OtherOS, a feature sony themselves put in their own firmware illegal to use, and definitely couldn't make not upgrading past 3.21 which removes the feature illegal, so you'd be fine, it's just bad luck to anyone who updated past there that wanted to do that or similar (although on 3.55 and lower you can do it via custom firmware hacks, but that's a whole different story :wink: )

If I may ask though, could you 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' on the PS3 and post the output, I'm pretty interested :p
Malaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Sure. =) Reply with quote

Sure!

Code:
localhost ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : Cell Broadband Engine, altivec supported
clock           : 3192.000000MHz
revision        : 16.0 (pvr 0070 1000)

processor       : 1
cpu             : Cell Broadband Engine, altivec supported
clock           : 3192.000000MHz
revision        : 16.0 (pvr 0070 1000)

timebase        : 79800000
platform        : PS3

As CFLAGs i'm using :

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -mcpu=970 -mtune=970 -mabi=altivec"

Thanks for the answer, it's pretty much what i thought. I will have to look the libspe and see if i can integrate IBM Cell SDK. I'll also see what's more efficient, the ps3-sources from CELL overlay, cell-sources or gentoo-sources.

Oh and also, i physically bridged the hypervisor to be able to use all SPU and RSX. It's quite useless now, i got through hypervisor unlocking microcodes. There's also the possibility of jailbreaking, but honestly i'm a little scared about the idea of overflowing the USB to inject stuff and it's unnecessary for me. CFW are useless for me, i'm NEVER on GameOS.

Simon-Pierre Dubé.
antonlacon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, There is a cell target for gcc, ie: -mtune=cell.

The ps3-sources in the overlay are a 2.6.23(?) kernel. Use Gentoo's; support was mostly completed around 2.6.27. There's an SMP bug if you use 2.6.39 or greater at the moment, so stick with 2.6.38. There's a patch on the mailing list, but I'm not sure if it's been applied yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: